View Full Version : Colour Correction Of Concert?

Nick Spargo
August 28th, 2007, 07:18 PM
Hi there,

I have recently filmed a live comedy show with two cameras (but only one operator).

The way in which i did it was to use a consumer panasonic 3CCD camera set up so that it constantly shot a wide shot... This was not moved throughout the entire performance.

I then operated a Sony PD-170 3CCD and followed the actors on stage with close ups.

The idea being to use the majority of the Sony footage and then when required cut back to the wideshot.

The footage came out perfectly on the Sony but the panasonic produced a pretty ratty image! Basically the issue is, all of the actors are wearing white t-shirts and when the stage spotlights come on, the light reflects off the t-shirts and as a result the face of the person can hardly be seen as it appears to be glowing. I have attached a still shot of the footage for your viewing...

Now I know that this cant be fixed entirely, but is there a way (In Final Cut Pro) i can reduce the amount of over exposure?

Your help would be much appreciated!

Nick

Patrick Pike
August 28th, 2007, 10:37 PM
Hi there,

Now I know that this cant be fixed entirely, but is there a way (In Final Cut Pro) i can reduce the amount of over exposure?

Your help would be much appreciated!

Nick

First, open up the Video Scopes (under the Tools menu) and take a look at the histogram. If you're whites are over 110% (and by the looks of it, they might be), your basically out of luck

You can easily make adjustments using the 3-Way Color Corrector filter. Just apply the filter to the clip in questions, then move the slider for the whites a bit to the left. Watch the scopes as you do this to see the changes. Ideally, the whites should be just below 100%.

Nate Weaver
August 28th, 2007, 10:55 PM
Whether they're over 100, or over 110, they're gone, my friend. Never to come back, unfortunately.

You can make that white less bright, but it's still going to be washed out and flat.

Nick Spargo
August 28th, 2007, 11:34 PM
Yeh i figured as much!

What would be the best method in making the light less bright?

Nate Weaver
August 29th, 2007, 12:05 AM
3 way color corrector.