View Full Version : video is pale after burning in dvdsp

Chris Jackson
August 31st, 2007, 12:35 PM
Hello,

I am relatively new to video and have spent the past couple weeks trying to perfect my HDV to SD/DVD process. After many combination attempts, my video looks great in the "simulation" of DVDSP. The colors look very bright and solid. I figure since the only thing i have to do left is press burn, that the video will look the same after it is finished.

However, directly after burning, I test it in Apple's DVD Player, and the colors seem very pale. The quality is still good, but I no longer have my bright vivid colors that I saw throughout my whole editing/compressing/dvd building process.

I wish I could show screenshots, but I can't take them when DVD Player is open.

Has anybody had a similar problem, or know of an explanation. I don't understand why the colors look different on the same screen directly after burning. Any explanations and/or fixes are greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Patrick Pike
September 1st, 2007, 09:13 AM
Did you compress the footage within DVDSP, or in Compressor before you brought it into DVDSP? Often times, if you compress within DVDSP, the preview will only be from the original uncompressed (maybe brighter in this case) footage.

David McGiffert
September 2nd, 2007, 10:08 AM
Chris I have exactly the same problem.
And it IS a problem.

I compress the video in DVDPro, in simulation it looks great
and it turns out the same way
very light...the quality is unchanged.

Why should it be that the color rendition we work so
hard for in post becomes completely different when it goes into
DVDPro?

I would love to hear an explaination that makes sense.

David

Chris Jackson
September 2nd, 2007, 11:05 AM
The weird thing is, I'm doing all my compression in compressor. I only use DVDSP to do the burning. Which still doesn't make sense why my simulation looks good, but my final product doesn't.

This is my workflow...

Capture HDV
Edit EDV in FCP
Export Quicktime movie with current settings (not self contained)
Import and compress with compressor.
- I am using frame controls to resize and deinterlace
Import the ac3 and m2v file into DVDSP

Once again, in the simulation it looks great, but after burning, it is pale.

????????

David McGiffert
September 3rd, 2007, 10:29 AM
Hi all, happy Labor Day,
this is a bump to see if there is someone out there
who has knowledge of this situation,
and more importantly a solution.

Thanks for your patience,

David

Glenn French
September 3rd, 2007, 12:04 PM
No solution here - but yes, this is a real problem for me too -

GRF

David Tamés
September 3rd, 2007, 12:18 PM
If you judge color on an Apple Cinema Display, you're likely going to see gorgeous colors, but the wrong colors. In fact you're seeing the wrong colors and gamma. The net effect is the overall image is darker and colors look more saturated and rich in the Apple Cinema Display world (and other computer displays for that matter). Thus, unless you're judging the color with a "real" video monitor (CRT w/ SMPTE-C phosphors and calibrated or LCD w/ SMPTE-C phosphor simulation and calibrated), you're not actually seeing your video under the right conditions for DVD distribution. So when you play the DVD on a DVD player hooked up to a television set, you'll see something completely different. In addition to all of this, standard DVD players add 7.5 set-up to the video, making the blacks less black than they appeared in Final Cut and DVD Studio Pro. There are several threads on this site that have gone into these issues in greater details, so I suggest a search for more info on this topic. I love the look of everything on my Apple Cinema Display, but video reality is different.