View Full Version : Canvas turns black upon creation of mask (Motion 3.01)

Charles Gerungan
September 2nd, 2007, 10:59 AM
I'm trying to color correct just a roadsign. So I send the clip from FCP to Motion and duplicate the layer. I select the top layer and press Option-R to select the Rectangle Mask Tool. The cursor changes into a cross. Now, when I click and drag to create a mask, upon release of the mouse button, the canvas turns black. I can see the handles of the mask, but that's it, nothing more. When applying a Levels filter the it doesn't have any effect at all.

Where am I going wrong?

I found a tutorial on the net on rippletraining.com ("Cops" revisited), and I do it just like that.

Charles Gerungan
September 3rd, 2007, 07:01 AM
Hmmm. I just tried the same using a still and it worked like I expected it to work. The clip that it doesn't work with is encoded using Apple ProRes422 (original HDV 1080p25). Hints?

Charles Gerungan
September 3rd, 2007, 12:35 PM
Just came off the phone with Apple support, and it might be a bug. This particular clip, when sent to Motion from the FCP timeline creates a project with this particular problem. Creating a new project in Motion and then importing the clip works fine.

I have to go through the whole she-bang with Apple now, to see if we can pin down the exact problem. Might be a couple of days but I'll post the results.