View Full Version : Vehicle and Shutter speeds

Richard Siberry
September 4th, 2007, 01:44 PM
I would like some advice on appropriate shutter and frame speeds when shooting with a vehicle mounted HDV cam.

I like to shoot 1080i 24F (Canon XH A1), but sometimes experience a "stepped" or jerky look to the footage, especially when shooting at right angles to the direction of travel, i.e. off the side of a moving car. Is this due to a slow shutter speed, 1/60th, or is it due to the low frame rate, 24f? Would I be better shooting these kinds of shots at 60i?

I always appreciate the benefit of your experience?

Thanks, Rich.

Stewart Menelaws
September 7th, 2007, 02:35 PM
Hi Rich - not sure if this is of any help... here is a link to fast moving vehicle to vehicle shots with a lot of right angle or dutch tilt in 25p. Some of these cars are moving at speeds of upto 80mph with the camera inches from the ground.

http://www.studioscotland.com/knckhill.htm

The QT compression does not do the footage much justice but if it is of interest to you then I'll give you some details.

Regards: Stu
www.studioscotland.com

Marco Wagner
September 7th, 2007, 05:31 PM
have you tried 1/48th shutter at all and if so, were the results worse? Is the camera movement too quick if there is any? Or is the car movement too abrubt in those "jerky" scenes.