View Full Version : Shooting Moto cross soon.. how ?

Dany Nativel
May 31st, 2003, 09:19 PM
I will shoot some moto cross in few weeks and was wondering what would be the best settings.

I like the frame mode of my XM2 (PAL) so I will probably use it. Most of the time with "regular" action I shoot at 1/50s but with those high-speed actions what will be the result ?

Should I use higher shutter speed ? Will that work well combined with Frame mode ?

Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks
Dany

Adrian Douglas
May 31st, 2003, 09:44 PM
Shooting motocross in Frame Mode can be quite difficult. Using a higher shutter speed will accentuate the jerkyness of frame mode. Stick with 1/50 and pan to follow the riders. A good tripod and fluid head will certainly help.

Dany Nativel
May 31st, 2003, 09:53 PM
If I use the "regular" mode, would that make sense to shoot at higher shutter speed ? What would you recommend ?

Maybe I should shoot all the preparation, interview in frame mode and the race in interlaced.

Thanks
Dany

Tustin Larson
June 1st, 2003, 01:22 AM
I agree, I think you should use "Regular" mode, and yes, use a high shutter speed. Maybe 1/300 or so... But if you can, get out there early/day before during practice runs and get some test footage with various shutter speeds.. and each time you switch to a different shutter setting, say it clearly.

Example: Press record, say "shutter speed setting 1/250" get about 1 min. of each setting... play it back and you decide which looks best.

Let us know how it comes out.

Thanx,

Dany Nativel
June 1st, 2003, 09:22 AM
The XM2 will show the speed/apperture used during the playback so no need to talk to my cam ;)

Thank you for the advice
Dany

Graham Bernard
June 1st, 2003, 10:52 AM
Dany, is that correct - brilliant! - I didn't know that.

Grazie

Marc Martin
June 1st, 2003, 11:47 AM
Look at this small clip:
http://marc5532b.free.fr/file/motocross.wmv

Shooted at 1/50, no tripod, edited in Vegas.

Tustin Larson
June 1st, 2003, 12:14 PM
Dany, It will show the shutter settings when you playback on a TV monitor? I did not know this. I know it shows in the LCD, but I do not trust it as much as my NTSC Monitor. I always test on a monitor for best results.

Thanx,

Eric Gutknecht
June 1st, 2003, 12:59 PM
Yep, simply select TV Screen (in VCR mode) as the option to display info on the output monitor (by default the Custom Key is set to do this).

You can choose what info to show on the LCD/Monitor... time, date, both and/or camera info.

Cheers;
Eric

Dany Nativel
June 1st, 2003, 02:37 PM
Marc,

Have you shot this video clip using Frame mode ?

Thanks
Dany

Marc Martin
June 1st, 2003, 05:08 PM
No, it is interlaced, then de-interlaced in post. I don't really like the Frame mode.