View Full Version : Multiple Filters?

Alex Geschke
June 1st, 2003, 01:21 PM
I have a UV filter and polarizing filter for my GL2, and a Tiffen Soft/FX 2 diffusion filter on the way. Can I effectively use all three of these filters at the same time?

I want to do a sunset interview on the beach. The faces will be close-up, but I still want some pink/blue sky and waves in the background.

Also, I need to do some experimenting before hand but I am wondering if anyone has some good suggestions for the camera settings. I have never used a video camera with so many advanced features before.

Thanks,
Alex

Alex Knappenberger
June 1st, 2003, 02:11 PM
Well, sure you CAN use 3 filters, but I bet you'll see vignetting when you put the 3rd one on....

About the camera settings. Make sure it's in manual mode, and you manually adjust the exposure and do manual whitebalance.

Alex Geschke
June 1st, 2003, 03:04 PM
Thanks.

Jeff Donald
June 1st, 2003, 08:15 PM
Take the UV off. The others will protect your lens just fine. This will reduce the chances of your filters causing your lens to vignette.

Alex Geschke
June 1st, 2003, 09:28 PM
Thanks Jeff. I'll play around with it and see if it works.

Alex Geschke
June 1st, 2003, 09:34 PM
By the way, I know what a vignette is, but what does it mean in "camera talk?"

Thanks

Joe Sacher
June 1st, 2003, 11:44 PM
It means that whatever is in front of the lense partially blocks the incoming light enough to cause a dark vignette around the video.

Don Palomaki
June 2nd, 2003, 03:46 AM
Keep in mind that the more glass surfaces the greater chance for increased stray reflections, dust, and flare. For best reuslts, buy quality filters, and use the minimum number needed to obtain the required effect. When possible, apply effects in post. That way you are not stuck with original footage that contains an undesired filter effect.

Vignetting first appears as darkening in the corners at wide angle zoom settings.

Rob Easler
June 2nd, 2003, 07:37 AM
Yeah, even with one UV filter I get the odd reflection when there is bright light or sun in the lens. It makes me want to tape without the filter on...but that's not gonna happen.

Alex Geschke
June 2nd, 2003, 07:55 PM
Thanks you guys. This is really helpful info, especially since I am finding this out before I actually go out and shoot.

Alex

Rob Lohman
June 4th, 2003, 01:15 PM
Vignetting is usually seen at the corners of your video image....