View Full Version : Cosco fog machine - $50

Frank Granovski
September 23rd, 2007, 09:20 PM
I got this from another forum. Bill Pryor writes:...back near the fruit there's a display of fog machines--$47.99, including a jug of bug juice. I paid 50 bucks last time I bought a gallon of Mole-Richardson bug juice. This is a little fog machine, designed for people who go all out for Haloween, but if you might need a cheap fog machine to fog areas that aren't too big, here it is.Sounds like a fantastic deal. I thought I should pass this info around since members have asked about fog machines in the past.

Michael Mills
September 24th, 2007, 08:57 AM
Home Depot has a better deal. $30 for a small chemical fogger. $5 a bottle for more juice. They also have strobe lights for interesting production effects, although most cameras wouldn't appreciate that.

Emre Safak
September 24th, 2007, 10:23 AM
Sounds like the deal of the century. I wish we had one for the horror flick I shot this spring.

Boyd Ostroff
September 24th, 2007, 12:11 PM
This topic comes up around here from time to time. Before using any kind of theatrical fog/smoke/haze effect I suggest you learn a little about the health issues related to exposure on a daily basis - this is a very hot topic in the entertainment industry and a possible liability concern. See the following thread about cheap fog machines here: http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=32142

And these may also be of interest:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=61572
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=50487
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=12208

John Miller
September 24th, 2007, 12:41 PM
<CHEMIST'S HAT ON>

For the last 15 years, I've worked in a company specializing in the development of inhaled therapies for lung disorders (asthma, COPD etc) and the somewhat frivolous use of glycol-based fog generators bothers me tremendously.

"Glycol" in this case is actually propylene glycol, not to be confused with ethylene glycol used as an antifreeze etc.

The problem is that propylene glycol is "generally regarded as safe" (GRAS) by the Food and Drug Administration. But that is only for exposure to it by eating or touching. There's no indication about its toxicity via inhalation.

I've faced this issue many times trying to formulate new inhaled therapies with other GRAS materials. You can't just do it, so to speak.

There are many informal reports on the detrimental effects of propylene glycol inhalation in the arts and entertainment industry.

I have found a couple of formal reports in the scientific literature that do report negative side effects from inhaling propylene glycol.

Personally, you couldn't get me in a room full of the stuff without full SCBA gear on.

The only fog I have used is dry ice in hot water or, if you have access to it, liquid nitrogen in hot water.

</CHEMIST'S HAT ON>

Greg Boston
September 24th, 2007, 01:09 PM
The only fog I have used is dry ice in hot water or, if you have access to it, liquid nitrogen in hot water.

There are some newer, water based fog generators out there.

With all due respect John, I am concerned about you blessing liquid nitrogen in hot water. Handling cryogenic liquids can be very dangerous to the untrained. Not only that, when you boil off liquid nitrogen in a confined space, you greatly expand the volume of nitrogen gas in the room. That can quickly lead to an oxygen depleted atmosphere causing suffocation and/or death.

A warning to all: Don't be messing around with cryogenic liquids unless you know the dangers involved and the special containers required!

I've had many years experience dealing with those things from working in the semiconductor industry. It's quite amazing to pour liquid nitrogen into a latex glove and watch it get so cold it shatters like glass when you drop it.

-gb-

John Miller
September 24th, 2007, 01:30 PM
Handling cryogenic liquids can be very dangerous to the untrained.

Absolutely. You can get serious frost bite from both liquid nitrogen and dry ice, as well as the asphyxiation risks.

Alex Humphrey
October 2nd, 2007, 02:43 PM
we used oil based foggers for TITANIC in all the 1912 indoor scenes. Felt like I had smoked a pack of camels every day. I have used dry ice and boiling water as well before. Not nearly as effective. I'll have to give the water based one's a try. The oil ones should be fine for kiddies outside on the porch for instance, but i wouldn't use them indoors with kids for filming for instance without doing some real research.. however the water based ones should be fine.....

Eric Brown
October 4th, 2007, 08:54 PM
Alex, where were you located at for your work on Titanic? I was over in Northridge at DPI helping to build the 1/7th scale Titanic and some interior stuff for the full size Russian MIR's.

Greg Boston
October 4th, 2007, 11:24 PM
we used oil based foggers for TITANIC in all the 1912 indoor scenes. Felt like I had smoked a pack of camels every day.

When you say oil based, are you referring to the glycerine based fog (that's what my machines use), or some other variant. Some of the newer units also have an ice trap that cools the fog as it leaves so that it will hug the ground better. I've been tempted to rig up my own ice bath.

-gb-

Phil Anderson
October 6th, 2007, 04:20 PM
I've had many years experience dealing with those things from working in the semiconductor industry. It's quite amazing to pour liquid nitrogen into a latex glove and watch it get so cold it shatters like glass when you drop it. -gb-

Greg - Me too! I worked for National Semiconductor back in the 1980's as an engineering tech (if I had kept up in that line of work, I'd be making quintuple what I do in video production, easy. What was I thinking?!). We used to bleed off bits of LN2 from the plasma etch machines when not in cycle and pour them over gloves, cots and other things in the sink and shatter them. What great fun that was. :-)

Cole McDonald
October 7th, 2007, 11:05 AM
hand held, propane fueled bug foggers work with fog juice too...just please use a new one that hasn't been used with actual insecticide yet. That would be bad...but they work well and you can put fog where ever you want it as it's very portable.

Greg Boston
October 19th, 2007, 01:24 PM
We used to bleed off bits of LN2 from the plasma etch machines when not in cycle and pour them over gloves, cots and other things in the sink and shatter them. What great fun that was. :-)

Someone who speaks my language. hehe

Ahhh, the good old days of LN2 cold traps. Our AMAT 8130 had one of those back then. BTW, former equipment tech here, mainly on hivac stuff like metal dep and ion implant, but worked all aspects of the fab at one point or another.

-gb-

Alex Humphrey
June 26th, 2008, 04:08 PM
Alex, where were you located at for your work on Titanic? I was over in Northridge at DPI helping to build the 1/7th scale Titanic and some interior stuff for the full size Russian MIR's.

I was in Rosarito Mexico for the 1912 period. Roughly 9 months. I learned more on that set than in 6 years of college getting my degrees.

Steven Thomas
July 16th, 2008, 05:58 PM
It's hard to beat oil based hazers. The particle size is real small, doesn't create thick clouds, and the hang time is longer than water based.

I'm sure this is what most high end concert and studio based shows are using.

The only thing is that when used over and over you do get a slight oil buildup that can make floors slippery and mat down carpets and furniture.

I imagine dance and show productions clean the floors after every use.