View Full Version : XL1s better than GL2

Steve Rawls
October 2nd, 2007, 08:05 AM
Hey gang,

Quick question, need opinions.... I have a GL2 that I use for documentary work and it's a great little camera but I'm needing a second camera and looking at possibly upgrading some. I'd love to buy an XL2 or an A1 but just don't have the budget to justify that at the moment. I'm thinking of either buying a second GL2 or possibly an XL1s since I can find both for about the same price. Any suggestions from those in the know ??? I'm watching a couple of XL2's on eBay as well as several GL2's and there are also a couple of XL1s cameras for sale locally that have light use. Is there a big difference between the XL1s and the GL2 ? I've done a little research and can't really see that getting an XL1s is much of an upgrade from the GL2. I really like the size, weight and flip out monitor on my GL2 but can't help thinking that the XL1s might give me a little something extra. Suggestions and advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. Steve

Don Palomaki
October 2nd, 2007, 01:51 PM
My impression is that the main potential advantages of the XL1s over the GL2 is the interchangeable lens, 4-channel audio capability, possibly form factor and the finger-tip controls.

The GL2 should yield slightly higher resolution (if that is an issue), be an exact match your existing camera, and involve no learning curve. If the GL2 meets all your anticipated need until you can afford HD, it is probably the better business decision.

A possible consideration is that the GL2 is a current product, the XL1s is discontinued.

Steve Rawls
October 2nd, 2007, 02:08 PM
Thanks Don.... You always give good advise & wisdom.. I guess I was in someway just hoping the XL1s would have some "blow me away" extra that the GL2 didn't. I don't really need the interchangable lenses at the moment, have a nice Century wideangle for the GL2 and can probably continue to get by with the GL2 audio. Plus I really like the hold-ability of the GL2. Maybe next year I can upgrade to the XH-A1. Will probably buy another GL2 for now. Anyone else wanna chime in and convince me otherwise ??

Thanks again Don...

Steve

David W. Jones
October 2nd, 2007, 07:09 PM
The XL1s is a 1/3" CCD camera, while the GL2 is a 1/4" CCD Camera.
Having looked at the footage from both cameras side by side,
IMHO the XL1s has a better picture than the GL2.

Steve Rawls
October 3rd, 2007, 10:17 AM
Thanks David.... I'm still teetering between the two cameras, leaning towards the GL2 for the reasons Don suggested but still thinking..

Steve

Alex Sprinkle
October 3rd, 2007, 12:26 PM
I have both, and have worked with them for the past couple of years. I picked up Jessica (the XL1s) when Mandy (GL2) wouldn't fully cut it for weddings. There is a huge difference in low light (at least from everything I've run) between Jessica and Mandy. As you can imagine, Jessica shows less noise when the lights are low. I also believe the picture is better, but not in a "OH wow! Look at that difference!" better. If you want light weight, easy to move, and don't need low light, go GL2. Then again, the XL1s really isn't too expensive anymore, either.

Steve Rawls
October 3rd, 2007, 01:46 PM
Hey Alex,

Thanks for the comparison... What I really like about the GL2 is the portability and weight. I shoot on the run quite a bit, documentaries on fly fishing, cowboys, motorcycling and such so the size, weight and the flip out monitor are essential for the type of work I'm currently doing. However, the XL1s has dropped so much in price recently that I just feel pressed to at least consider it for the type of work I do. I'm sure I could get use to not having the monitor and the size and weight difference but if I'm not really gaining much over the GL2 then I should think more about just adding a second GL2 to the stable. Besides, the GL2 with the wireless mics, extra batteries, charger, wide angle lens, head phones, cables and such fits so nicely in my Porta Brace or in the backpack that I feel quite unemcumbered when carring it around. 8^) Hmmmm, decisions, decisions, decisions...

Jay Legere
October 3rd, 2007, 10:11 PM
Hi Steve,

Just a thought. Perhaps you should check out the classified adds here at dvinfo. I have noticed xh-a1's going for what I consider a steal over the past few weeks.

I am not sure what your budget is, but you may get a bargain while only spending a few extra dollars for a camera you hope to purchase in the future.

I own the a1 and if I knew about the prices here on dvinfo I would have gone second hand.

You should be able to match the gl2 and the a1 accurately with the a1's custom presets.

Either way...I hope you find what you are looking for!

Jay

Steve Rawls
October 4th, 2007, 01:33 PM
Jay, great suggestion, I'm currently watching the classifieds here on DVi and would much rather buy from someone here than on eBay.. I want an XH-A1 but haven't been able to rationalize the cost but as it turns out I may actually get to shop for an XH-A1 sooner than I thought.. A project that I'm working on may turn into a bigger progect, ie:more money, than I orginally thought so my camera delima may solve itself. 8^)

Steve