View Full Version : HDVIDEOPRO magazine

Steve Witt
October 10th, 2007, 11:44 AM
Has anyone seen this magazine. It seems to be pretty darn good. I just bought my second issue and I am considering a subscription.

Bob Kerner
October 13th, 2007, 09:54 AM
It's published, I believe, by the company that does Outdoor Photographer and Digital Photo Pro,mags I used to read monthly until I realized that most of the articles were thinly veiled advertisements either for the artist or the equipment. I still read occaisionally-in fact I picked up this month's edition for the article on the platypus workshops.

I know all periodicals are driven by advertising, but I started to get the sense I was reading one big Canon or Nikon ad, at least with the photo magazines, since the majority of the contributors were also evangelists for particular manufacturers.

Denis Danatzko
October 14th, 2007, 08:49 AM
...most of the articles were thinly veiled advertisements either for the artist or the equipment.

I know all periodicals are driven by advertising, but I started to get the sense I was reading one big Canon or Nikon ad, at least with the photo magazines, since the majority of the contributors were also evangelists for particular manufacturers.

for new sources of info, I'm not familiar with this particular mag, but I do find myself in basic agreement with this observation. Some mags do a better job than others, and I realize they must tread lightly on products in order to attract and keep advertisers, but it seems to me that the pro's are too often highlighted while the con's seem to get short shrift.

When considering new equipment, I research forums such as this, and those where product reviews are written by actual consumer-users (like epinions.com), in addition to mags. (I suspect I'm not alone, there). That said, some articles, e.g. "How-to's, are helpful, and often too hard to find outside of tutorials intended for purchase (which often don't fit in my budget).

Overall, I'd describe mags as offering a "spoonful of dessert", or maybe a snack, while an authoritative book offers an entire meal to satisfy my hunger for understanding and info. While I don't partake of such "meals" often enough, they provide more than the cliche'ed empty calories or even a sandwich.

Carlos Rodriguez
October 15th, 2007, 12:56 PM
I read the magazine, I'm pretty pleased with it. Many reviews on equipment, etc. Although yes, it seems to be ad driven, but then again, which magazine is not? Also, considering that each magazine is around 5 or 6 dollars, and the subscription is 19.95 for 6 issues, might as well save a few bucks, yeah?

Brent Kolitz
October 18th, 2007, 01:12 PM
After buying 2 issues off the stand, I subscribed. I'm a relative beginner experience-wise, but have a lot of technical knowledge overall. So far (3 issues), I've been quite impressed with the quality of the info and writing -- it's not nearly as useless and fluffy as I would have guessed initially, given my experience with similar magazines. It really seems to be put together by intelligent people and geared toward an audience much higher than consumer-level.

P.S. -- it's only published every other month at this point.

Steve Witt
October 21st, 2007, 08:51 PM
One magazine that does not seem very "Ad Driven" is MovieMaker magazine. It seems very information based to me. Very good articles.