View Full Version : Best place to buy a Macbookpro?

Brian Boyko
October 18th, 2007, 07:27 PM
What's the best place to buy a high-end MacBook Pro? The Refurbished ones on Apple's site look good, but you have to pay sales tax...

Daniel Ross
October 18th, 2007, 08:21 PM
There aren't many options. Getting it from apple is good, especially if you are eligible for the student discount.
Buying it from a store will save you shipping (unless this is free; I can't remember).

You could buy it in a state like Oregon where there is no sales tax.

Gary Williams
October 19th, 2007, 07:14 AM
What's the best place to buy a high-end MacBook Pro? The Refurbished ones on Apple's site look good, but you have to pay sales tax...

The best deal I found on a complete system was with Brian owner of zotz digital they are one of our sponsors on the forum and for good reason I might add. I would definitly check them out before you get you system. Gary
http://www.zotzdigital.com

Greg Boston
October 19th, 2007, 07:24 AM
As Gary said, look to Zotz Digital as they sponsor our site. We give our site sponsors exclusive 'where to buy' referrals. Any links to non sponsors will be removed.

Keep in mind, DVINFO is free to you because of the sponsors, and you may not have noticed, but Chris keeps ads in our forum to a minimum. He hand picks our sponsors as having fair prices and a great customer service reputation, so we need to fully support the few that we have.

Thanks,

-gb-

Andy Mees
October 19th, 2007, 08:46 AM
don't know about the best place to buy (maybe Zotz) but the "cheapest" place to buy a MacBook Pro is Hong Kong

Brian Boyko
October 19th, 2007, 11:51 AM
Bought mine from Apple. Just saw a really good refurbished deal that I had to move on.

I am now, officially, in debt. :(

Glenn Chan
October 19th, 2007, 10:33 PM
If you buy a *new* (not refurbished) Macbook Pro, you can put it on a credit card that gives you an extended warranty. For CIBC Divendend Visa at least (canada), it should extend the warranty (but read their conditions... I don't think refurbished items get their warranty extended since they aren't new).

2- If you are a student, look at the academic pricing and the student developer program.

3- You could also try to find someone locally through the classifieds section on dvinfo.

Dick Campbell
October 22nd, 2007, 07:27 AM
being in Austin, I highly recommend Omega Broadcast. Even tho you pay sales tax, they are very reputable, authorized dealer. And you have somebody local to reach out and touch for problems and advice. They also have occassional workshops, if you get on their list. give Alan Barnwell a call. not a flack, just a satisifed customer.

Daniel Ross
October 22nd, 2007, 12:26 PM
Wherever you do end up purchasing it, be sure you get (or at least can get) Apple care. Saving money on the computer but not getting apple care would probably be a mistake.

Derek Nickell
October 24th, 2007, 11:22 AM
I am now, officially, in debt. :(

Hah, welcome to the club!!

I bought mine from the Apple store here in SD. Amazon might be another way, no tax and usually free shipping.