View Full Version : dead pixel remedy: DH_Reincarnation

Brendan Donohue
October 25th, 2007, 12:46 PM
I recently noticed a dead pixel on some low light footage from my gl1.. It's definitely a dead pixel on the camera's ccd. I know the best remedy is to send in the camera to canon for a new ccd, but I can't justify paying almost what I paid for the camera to get the ccd replaced..for just one dead pixel? no way!
After researching some forums, i heard mention of a Final Cut Pro/Express Plug-In called (Digital Heaven) DH_Reincarnation..which claims to patch up dead pixels

"Up to two dead pixel areas can be intelligently replaced with new pixels at a time. The width and height of each area can be independently set and a preview mode ensures only the damaged pixels are affected."

It looks pretty promising (there's a demo on the website), and for $40, it might be a viable alternative to sending into canon (especially for just one dead pixel!

Thought this might be helpful as I know that many GL1/2 users face this dead pixel issue. If anyone has any experience with this software, let me know what results u got

~brendan

Don Palomaki
October 26th, 2007, 05:54 AM
I recently noticed a dead pixel on some low light footage from my gl1..

Dead (black) or more likely hot (white)? FWIW: Low light implies high gain, and under these circumstances pixels with high dark currents that would not show up in a normal illuminated scene at 0 dB gain will be visible, especially in scenes with large shadow areas.

Thanks for the note on the plug in.

Brendan Donohue
October 26th, 2007, 08:03 AM
thanks for clarifying Don, I always just default to the word "dead" for any kind of defective pixel..it is, in fact, a "hot" pixel..

Jason Leonard
February 7th, 2008, 11:15 PM
i have heard of this plug in for FCP in the past.
anyone know of a similar or comparable substitute for Premiere?

Sam Mendolia
December 23rd, 2008, 02:54 PM
I am looking for the same fix, for Premiere

Don Palomaki
December 31st, 2008, 06:04 AM
I've not hear of any such product for Premiere (but that does not mean there is none).

One possible quick fix is to create gray or black pixel mask to "hide" the hot pixel. While not a great solution, it may be less obvious in the final video.

Wonder if a product like Neat Video could be configured to treat it as a noise reduction thing???

Giroud Francois
December 31st, 2008, 07:29 AM
virtualdub has many filter and some allows to replace pixels.
i think you can find them under "logo removal", there are several of them.
consider the hot or dead pixel like a one pixel logo