View Full Version : FCP6: DVCPro50 to DVD?

Chris Hocking
October 31st, 2007, 02:14 AM
Hi Everyone!

Sorry for all the questions today!

OK... I've got a whole heap of stuff recorded in DVCPro50. I've captured in DVCPro50 into FCP6. I've edited it together on a DVCPro50 timeline. Exported as a Quicktime Movie. Brought into Compressor and used the 90 Minutes Best Quality setting. But, the exported DVD looks really bad. Especially with fast motion scenes. It doesn't look bad on the timeline. I've been testing the DVD on a good quality Plasma screen.

Any suggestions? Should I de-interlace it? Should I re-render using a high quality codec (uncompressed)?

Chris!

Eric Dyer
October 31st, 2007, 03:16 AM
Check your render settings, toolbar, sequence settings, render control tab, make sure it's on full resolution, full frame rate and the compressor used is DVC PRO 50. Instead of exporting a quicktime movie, export to compressor from the timeline. Double check and make sure it's doing a 2 pass encoding. Also if you're watching SD signal on a HD screen, it tends to look bad, make sure you're about 10 feet away from the television when you check your DVD.

*e

Chris Hocking
October 31st, 2007, 05:33 AM
All the timeline and render settings look good. Full resolution, full frame rate, and it's certainly a DVCPro50 timeline.

Haven't tried exporting to Compressor directly from FCP (just out of habit - as one of the earlier versions of FCP didn't do this properly), but I'll give that a try.

It's doing a 2-pass encode - as I said, I'm using the preset.

I am watching the SD signal on a HD screen, however, other SD content looks fine...

Thanks for your time Eric! Very much appreciated!

Chris!