View Full Version : The proud new member of the mac community

Paul Gallagher
November 2nd, 2007, 02:23 AM
I am the new proud owner of an 8 core dual 3ghz processing 5GB apple mac monster running final cut studio 2. This is a major change for me being a PC user for 10 years.

I wanted to ask if there was anyone near OMAGH in County Tyrone N. Ireland using the new FCP who would have a few spare hours someday to show me around this whole new operating system and editing platform as I was using Premiere Pro up until now.

Any help would be great.

Kind regards

Paul Gallagher

Greg Boston
November 2nd, 2007, 09:07 AM
Congrats on the new system, Paul. You'll find a plethora of information on the web regarding FCS in the form of short tutorials and user groups.

If you have been a long time Windows user, Apple has a page on their website that is dedicated to helping you in the transition by explaining the differences in the way you use OSX vs. Windows. Just some basic stuff like using the command key vs. the control key for basic cut/copy/paste shortcut key combos.

I added the OSX platform and FCP a couple years ago and it was a relatively painless process. I still have both platforms in my house but the Mac gets most of my time.

-gb-

John Cash
November 2nd, 2007, 09:48 AM
Hey Paul, welcome to MAC. I too made the swap about 7 months ago. The best advice I can give you is this...

http://www.Lynda.com/

pay 25.00 a month U.S. dollars per month for as long as you need training. You can also buy 1 years worth for 250 U S dollars. Then you can learn FCP. Motion Live Type I photo and everything else you like. Learn at your own pace any time as long as you have internet access.

I dont work for them and recieve no payments for endorsements.But It has helped me better than anything.

Good Luck

Paul Gallagher
November 2nd, 2007, 05:18 PM
Hey Paul, welcome to MAC. I too made the swap about 7 months ago. The best advice I can give you is this...

http://www.Lynda.com/

pay 25.00 a month U.S. dollars per month for as long as you need training. You can also buy 1 years worth for 250 U S dollars. Then you can learn FCP. Motion Live Type I photo and everything else you like. Learn at your own pace any time as long as you have internet access.

I dont work for them and recieve no payments for endorsements.But It has helped me better than anything.

Good Luck

Thanks John, That looks like a great site.

Paul

Paul Gallagher
November 4th, 2007, 02:56 AM
I'm trying to find a cool transition I have seen used by FCP users, it starts to brighten up the highlight areas of the picture (like a proamp effect) until the whole screen is white and then reverses the effect to the next scene. What is the name of this transition and were can it be found?

Martin Mayer
November 4th, 2007, 04:52 AM
I'm trying to find a cool transition I have seen used by FCP users, it starts to brighten up the highlight areas of the picture (like a proamp effect) until the whole screen is white and then reverses the effect to the next scene. What is the name of this transition and were can it be found?

Video Transitions:Dissolve:Dip to Colour Dissolve (set colour to white.)

Paul Gallagher
November 4th, 2007, 05:03 AM

No its not that one Martin.

Paul Gallagher
November 4th, 2007, 05:04 AM

Its more like a flash dissolve more than white

Martin Mayer
November 4th, 2007, 05:07 AM
Maybe this?: http://www.nattress.com/BigBox/Transitions/GGlowDissolve.htm

Tom Vandas
November 4th, 2007, 08:19 AM

The one I use is Flashframe, part of the Too Much Too Soon set; it's free/donation and you can control blur and luma:
http://www.mattias.nu/plugins/