View Full Version : digital glitching or dropouts on GL2

Carolyn Hudgins
November 2nd, 2007, 04:42 AM
Hi,
I'm experiencing digital drop outs on my GL2. I had it serviced now it's still having the same problem. I've tried striping the tape, changed brands.
Currently using Panasonic, tried Sony, back Panasonic. Tried ff tape then rewind, cleaned. I'm at a lost. Anyone know any other tricks. Need help.

Graham Bernard
November 3rd, 2007, 01:40 AM
Carolyn - I hear your pain. Not good.

I had it serviced now it's still having the same problem.

By whom?

I've tried striping the tape, changed brands.

Changing brands is something I do NOT do. Do a search here concerning this. I never stripe my tapes. My thoughts are you are doing a lot of camera transport - far more than I would ever contemplate. Do you use the camera as a deck for loading? For transport of the output to the edit system? Do you do searching on the camera? Is this searching directed by the PC?

OK - When you say "digital dropouts" say exactly what, how and where these manifest.

* On Playback?

* On capture?

* Within your edit system?

Also try a test. Record direct to the PC or VHS tape or any device you can hitch your GL2 up to. This will shed some light on the possibility that its is in fact a mechanical<>tape<>transport issue or something more fundamental. Also take a live output to a TV screen and see if you are getting any anomalies there.

OK - when I've had problems with my cameras, and I have had, and needed to take them to the Canon Garage, it has been a case of, this is what is wrong with it and they put it right. Period! There are no dark arts about this. If the repairer has NOT corrected your issue then it would be back to them. I would!!

Dealing with an authorized Canon dealer OR Canon themselves has always got me a result.

Grazie

Eric Shepherd
November 3rd, 2007, 02:55 PM
Also, do you see the dropouts in the viewfinder?

I had a mostly good Firewire cable that was putting glitches in frames about once every 2 or 3 minutes. I thought my camera was having problems or the tapes were bad, but it turned out the cable was just mildly damaged from being bent a little too hard where the wire goes into the plug at one end or the other (I think that was the cause).

Anyway, after changing cables, the problem was fixed. The glitches weren't visible in the viewfinder, which helped me track it down to the cable.

Maybe this helps?

Eric