View Full Version : WARNING: QT 7.3 Bug

Robert Lane
November 12th, 2007, 12:55 PM
If after updating to Quicktime 7.3 you get an error that says: "Invalid public movie atom" when trying to access a previously OK clip, it's a known bug with the QT update.

I just spoke with Apple and formally put in trouble ticket which is being escalated to engineering. Unfortunately, until a bug-fix is released the only way to recover from this problem is to do a wipe and clean-install of the OS and to *manually* update only to QT 7.2 as there is no way to uninstall or revert back to old versions of QT.

The forums are ripe with complaints about QT 7.3 and, Imagine Products has also released a warning saying that files converted with HDLog or P2 Log Pro with 7.3 will most likely be corrupted.

Hopefully this issue will be resolved quickly but if you're in the middle of a project and need to get back to work, don't wait around for Apple to fix it, just wipe your OS drive and do a clean install. DO NOT do an "archive & install" as this will transfer the 7.3 codecs over to the OS all over again.

Tim Dashwood
November 12th, 2007, 04:38 PM
I can't open one of my HDV 6.0.1 projects since the upgrade! The auto backups won't even work.
I've repaired permissions twice and trashed prefs.

I get this error:

Robert Lane
November 12th, 2007, 05:20 PM
Tim,

Exactly which upgrade are you referring to? the QT 7.3 upgrade or did you just upgrade your version of FCS?

Robert Lane
November 12th, 2007, 05:23 PM
Although time consuming, a clean install of OSX 10.4.10, QT 7.2 and all the FCS2 apps have solved the issues created by QT 7.3 and everything is back to normal.

*Do not* install QT 7.3 UNTIL Apple releases the bug-fix/update. There is no other alternative to removing the QT 7.3 components currently other than a clean install.

You will need to *manually* locate and download QT 7.2 from the Apple downloads page since Software Update will by default only look for and give you the 7.3 version.

Tim Dashwood
November 12th, 2007, 05:50 PM
Tim,

Exactly which upgrade are you referring to? the QT 7.3 upgrade or did you just upgrade your version of FCS?

QT7.3

I've been running FCS2 flawlessly since May.

Luckily the one project that won't open anymore did have an auto-save from previous to the update that will open. Unfortunately it is missing the latest cut revisions, but it won't be a huge deal to redo.

Dino Leone
November 15th, 2007, 01:33 AM
Although time consuming, a clean install of OSX 10.4.10, QT 7.2 and all the FCS2 apps have solved the issues created by QT 7.3 and everything is back to normal.

*Do not* install QT 7.3 UNTIL Apple releases the bug-fix/update. There is no other alternative to removing the QT 7.3 components currently other than a clean install.

You will need to *manually* locate and download QT 7.2 from the Apple downloads page since Software Update will by default only look for and give you the 7.3 version.

Robert, I just tried to install the new FCS updates released today (FCP 6.0.2 and all the other associated updates). Problem is, the ProAppsUpdate2007-02 requires QuickTime 7.3 to be present. And all the individual installers require the ProAppsUpdate to be run first... do you know if that QT bug has been addressed in the meantime? It looks like we're stuck/forced to install QT7.3 if we want to get the new FCS updates.

Robert Lane
November 15th, 2007, 05:55 PM
We just tested this last night; No, the problem is still not solved with the ".2" updates.

The problem seems to be specific to P2 MXF files that were previously converted with either Log & Transfer or third-party apps such as HD Log with earlier versions of QT (7.2 or before) which QT 7.3 can't read for some reason.

Now the situation has gotten even buggier:

Let's say you've updated to QT 7.3, had problems, wiped the system and done a complete re-install of the OS and apps so you can get back to work using QT 7.2... Now you can no longer get the ".1" updates for FCS, only ".2" which requires QT 7.3!!!

That means for now, you'd be stuck on FCP6.0 until Apple clears this bug. But that also means you'll be missing certain updates and filters that were only available in the ".1" update such as the DeFocus filter.

There's only one other solution - and one that's not easy to swallow: Assuming you have all the original source media you can simply re-convert those clips using Log & Transfer with the newer versionsof QT and FCS.

This would be a non-issue if P2 MXF was native to the timeline but after over a year Apple is still behind the curve on that one; every other professional editing application has native support for this codec. What's up Apple?

David Scattergood
November 19th, 2007, 06:47 PM
I've just noticed something over the past few days which may or may not be related to this (it's late so I haven't had chance to fully search the mac forums for help). This started a couple of days back with You Tube videos - whereby they'd pause every few seconds as though buffering (has never occurred before) or poor performance issues. Today I've conformed some HDV SD50p footage to 25p for slow motion - on playback in QT they pause midway or stutter/miss out frames (again this was working fine over the past few weeks).

I'm still running tiger and FCS pro 1 and other footage (HD trailers, FCP HD clips as examples) seem ok...possible link?

Eric Brown
November 19th, 2007, 08:09 PM
Wow..talk about dodging the bullet. I was so close to installing 7.3 last night and for some inexplicable reason decided against it. Something creeping in the back of my brain told me not to do it. I have, without question or thought, always upgraded to the latest version of Quicktime over the last several years except this once. Yikes....

David Scattergood
November 20th, 2007, 09:06 AM
I downloaded a mac/intel software update last night...fortunately QT (and internet vids etc) appear to be running fine again...worries me when my mac starts acting like a PC (which is extremely rare!).
So for now QT 7.3 seems back on track...

Dino Leone
November 20th, 2007, 01:47 PM
As Roberto points out above, the problem seems to be specifc for the P2 MXF format (that's panasonic and sony formats, right?).

Anyway, some of the bugfixes and new features in the FCS updates were too tempting for me, so I decided to give it a try (After having made full mirror backup using SuperDuper) and installed QT 7.3 and all the FCS updates. I'm using HDV (Canon XH A1) and everything is working fine so far. No problems at all.
Best,

David Knaggs
November 24th, 2007, 09:38 PM
I've been checking the Software Update almost daily to see if there is a QT 7.3.1 release, but it doesn't look likely.

I really want the new FCS features (the latest updates) but I know they won't appear on the Software Update until I take the plunge and finally install QT 7.3.

So I just wanted to check whether anyone else has been unable to open their FCP projects immediately after upgrading to QT 7.3. That is my number one concern.

Thanks for any current info (good or bad).

Gary Williams
November 29th, 2007, 12:14 PM
I've been checking the Software Update almost daily to see if there is a QT 7.3.1 release, but it doesn't look likely.

I really want the new FCS features (the latest updates) but I know they won't appear on the Software Update until I take the plunge and finally install QT 7.3.

So I just wanted to check whether anyone else has been unable to open their FCP projects immediately after upgrading to QT 7.3. That is my number one concern.

Thanks for any current info (good or bad).

I did the install a week ago, I bought my apple system and FCSP-2 a month ago I had several projects in FC before I upgraded and have not noticed any problems yet! but I only edit in HDV and only use a small portion of the system, I dont edit over a wide variety of formats so I dont know if this is going to be of much help to you but again I have not had any serious problems since my upgrade. I will say if I had known in advance about these problems I would not have upgraded my system as I do not use any of the additional benifits at this time. Gary

Ron Priest
November 29th, 2007, 01:52 PM
I just ordered my first ever Mac this week and expect it to be delivered the middle of next week. So, excuse me if this question sounds elementary however, I have to ask. Is this something that I as a new user with Leopard preinstalled should be concerned about once I get my system and install FCS and QT?

Thanks.

Gary Williams
November 30th, 2007, 01:24 AM
I just ordered my first ever Mac this week and expect it to be delivered the middle of next week. So, excuse me if this question sounds elementary however, I have to ask. Is this something that I as a new user with Leopard preinstalled should be concerned about once I get my system and install FCS and QT?

Thanks.

If I were you I would instal the final cut that you get, the most current and would not worry about the updates at this time ( wait a while) if the benifites they offer are not something that you need right now, why bother most people who are getting the updates want to edit at 60fields with their HD200 ect... of course their are more benifites than that but if the final cut you get dose the things you need it to do then why bother with the updates at this time, wait a while I would have had I known.

Eric Brown
November 30th, 2007, 02:27 PM
They seem to have added the fix to "Software Update". It's called "Compatibility update for Quicktime" although it says it's specifically for iLife I'm hoping it's an across the board fix.

Robert Lane
November 30th, 2007, 11:34 PM
They seem to have added the fix to "Software Update". It's called "Compatibility update for Quicktime" although it says it's specifically for iLife I'm hoping it's an across the board fix.

That's an older update prior to QT 7.3; so far there has not been any fix issued from Apple specific to the bugs in 7.3

Eric Brown
December 1st, 2007, 12:56 AM
Just saw it today and hadn't seen it in a previous update. Must have overlooked it. My mistake.

Lloyd Roseblade
December 1st, 2007, 11:13 AM
Quicktime 7.3 has screwed up my being able to capture from my Canon XM2 too. I've looked on the apple site but I can't seem to locate the 7.2 pkg. Would anyone happen to have the link to hand?

Many thanks.

[Edit] Sod's law. No sooner had I posted that I managed to locate it on Applecare. Here's the link if anyone else should need it - http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/quicktime72formac.html

Matt Irwin
May 29th, 2008, 05:13 PM
Hi,

Resurrecting this thread because the problem of "invalid public movie atom" is back and occurring with p2 quicktime files.

I just got a call informing me that it's occurring with a select number of p2 clips from a music video I worked on recently. The editor upgraded to the latest version of FCS2 and Quicktime 7.4.5, and suddenly half the timeline is corrupt.
I checked my copy of the footage, and the same thing is occurring (I'm running FCP 5 with QT 7.4.5). The kicker is that p2 clips that I just shot last week open fine, but older clips do not.

Anyone know of any possible fixes for this? Or does it mean a clean reinstall?

Robert Lane
May 29th, 2008, 09:33 PM
I purposely have not updated to QT 7.4.5 so I can't comment on what's causing this bug however if it's the same error message then it's probably back to the same core problem.

It's possible that if the old QT package is still available on your system that you could try forcing a re-install of the older version, but last time that was tried it didn't work.

Call Apple and put in a trouble ticket; that will get the ball rolling with getting the bug fix being worked on (and the more people that complain the faster it will get Apple's attention).

Depending on how you transcoded the P2 MXF files you might be able to simple re-encode them and then use media managers "reconnect media" to make the files work.

Lastly (and this is mainly for others who are considering the upgrade path) you *do not* have to constantly upgrade QT versions just because Apple releases them. If you have a system that's working and mostly trouble-free then there' no need to make any major QT or OS updates. The only reason for doing it would be to either add capabilities to your system (sometimes when new versions are released you get added useful features) or if there is a compatibility issue with newer software. Think of it this way: If you're car's engine runs perfectly well, why would you install new and un-tested parts?

But, if you're going to try any upgrade whether it's QT or the OS then the only safe thing to do is backup ALL your working files AND make an image of the current OS. That way if things go south after the updates you can easily revert back to the previous state without actually reinstalling the OS and every app piecemeal.

So far this is the first complaint I've seen about this issue; there's nothing on the Apple forums about it - yet - so keep us posted.

Robert Lane
June 4th, 2008, 09:42 AM
Matt,

Do you have a status update on your issue?

Shaun Roemich
June 4th, 2008, 02:31 PM
I had a lengthy discussion with an Apple Pro Apps service agent last week about QT 7.4.5 and FCP6.0.3 not playing nice with my JVC ProHD setup and I'm still waiting to hear from him.

I was told the only way to revert to an older version of Quicktime is by re-installing the OS. Needless to say, I'm waiting for the bug fix because re-installing 10.4.11 from scratch will be a nightmare for me, especially in the middle of a project.

I'm toying with buying another Mac to finish up this project and just NOT doing all the upgrades. I think FCP 6.0.2 and QT 7.3 was the last STABLE combo I had.

Robert Lane
June 4th, 2008, 07:37 PM
...I was told the only way to revert to an older version of Quicktime is by re-installing the OS. Needless to say, I'm waiting for the bug fix because re-installing 10.4.11 from scratch will be a nightmare for me, especially in the middle of a project.

This is a perfect example of what they mean by backing up your entire system before making *any* significant updates to the OS, either major app or Quicktime.

OSX offers a cost-free method for doing this; no third-party software is required. All do you is boot from either the original install disc or a retail disc of OSX, run the Disk Utility and create a new image of your OS disk and save it to another internal or even an external. Depending on the speed of your system this could take a few hours or as little as 15 minutes.

Then install your updates to the current OS and see how things pan out; if things go wrong then all you have to do is wipe the OS drive, boot from the same OSX install disc and then restore your OS to it's previous state from your saved image.

I would *not* ever trust TimeMachine to pull this off effectively; it was designed to capture all the required info for built-in apps (consumer) but will not handle the complexity of FCS.

Shaun Roemich
June 5th, 2008, 09:49 AM
Robert: I will take your VERY VALID AND VALUABLE advice in the spirit in which it was offered.

The frustrating thing is that one would hope that a software developer of PRO level apps would be a bit more careful when rolling out updates that could very adversely affect those who generate an income from their products.

Excuse me, I need to go find some horses now that I've closed the door on the barn...

Mike Flynn
June 5th, 2008, 01:08 PM
Hmmm okay well this is kind of strange. I had problems after updating my Quicktime several months ago. Compressor would give me a QT error, or FCP would just quit unexpectedly during an export. I reverted back to the old version (7.3.1) and everything worked fine.

But wait...yesterday my Compressor starts acting up again and won't export m2vs or m4vs. FCP is quitting, or I am getting the QT error. My version of QT is still 7.3.1. I just reinstalled 7.3.1 and restarted and I am still getting the same thing. FCP just quit as I was typing this. I have not updated a single component of the OS or FCP or QT for months, because I did not want to jeopardize a perfectly working system. And now I am screwed. I suppose I will try updating to the very newest version and seeing what happens. I can always revert back to older versions.

EDIT: Updated to 7.4.5 and still the same issue. Now I am very desperate as I will need to use Compressor as an output from FCP this weekend, and if it doesn't work I won't get the project delivered on time. I have now updated every part of my computer, OS X, FC Studio, Quicktime...everything. If it still doesn't work I will go back and install QT 7.3.1 and see if that works with all the newly updated software.

Mike Flynn
June 5th, 2008, 04:02 PM
Well I *seem* to have things running alright again. After updating my Pro Apps, Quicktime, OS X, firmware, etc I successfully exported a full length .m2v through Compressor from an FCP sequence. I am now trying an .m4v (iPod video - another format that was giving me errors) and it seems to be chugging along.

I don't want to seem paranoid - but my 8-core Mac Pro seems quite a bit slower at encoding video after I installed all these updates....hmmm.....

Robert Lane
June 5th, 2008, 05:25 PM
Shaun,

Your complaint is completely valid and one that I and hundreds of others share, especially in the last 18 months. Apple certainly has put their foot in their mouths on more than one occasion with *updates* that do more harm than good for pro-app users, and just adds fuel to the fire of speculation that Mr. Jobs has shifted too much attention to iPhone.