View Full Version : Macbook Pro - to the max - will I be satisfied

Alfred Diaz
November 14th, 2007, 12:05 AM
Will this computer keep up with my needs?
First, here's the computer:

Macbook Pro with Duo Intel 2.4 Gig processors
Maxed out at 4 Gigs of Ram
Standard 256 MB graphic card
Hookups: USB2, USB, Firewire 800, Firewire 1394
160 gb Sata Hard Drive that runs at 7200 RPM
DVD-+R 8x
17" Hi Res Screen in Matt

Now, for my needs:
I mostly work in Standard Definition, but plan on moving into HDV early next year.

I realize a desktop would kick butt over this system, but I have to have a laptop. So please, let's just talk Macbook only.

So the price is $3050 for a new Macbook, which I think is very fair (but I will have to pay $225 extra for 3 years of Apple Care, which I plan on getting).

Am I missing anything? Am I paying too much? Is there something I should be buying right now with the new system.

I know this system will handle SD, but I may have a client who wants HD one day. I have no plans on doing raw HD, only HDV. So will this keep me moving at a fairly quick pace?

Finally, what about my external drive? Any sugestions?

Thanks.
AD
www.advideoproductions.com

Liam Hall
November 14th, 2007, 02:51 AM
Alfred,

You'll be fine with that set-up. Just get a heap more storage. External drives are super-cheap these days and 160GB isn't going to stretch that far. The Lacie D2 drives are pretty good as are Maxtor, get at least another 500GB for starters.

David W. Jones
November 14th, 2007, 08:13 AM
What are you going to use to monitor with?
Your solutions with the MacBook Pro are limited to the Matrox MXO, AJA IO, AJA IO HD, MOTU V3HD.

You might want to factor that in to your budget.

Josh Laronge
November 14th, 2007, 09:13 AM
Alfred,
The MBP you mention will do fine with HDV if you do that in the future.

One thing, the MBP has 1 Intel Core 2 Duo not 2 processors. Not a big deal since no laptop has 2 processors just semantics. Good luck with it.

Alfred Diaz
November 14th, 2007, 02:01 PM
Thanks guys.

I was planning on buying either two 500gig external drives or one 1000gig exteranl drive with firewire 800.

I have to admit that I didn't think much about running external monitors. I was going to use the laptop monitor for editing. But it would be great if I could use both the laptop monitor along with a second monitor to work in a two screen system.

Is this possible with the MBP? Do I need to upgrade the video card? I noticed that some MBPs come with a bigger video card. I can't remember the brand, just that it was a 512MB card.

Dave, I still need to do the research on the additional monitor. I think that I will be getting one once I get a couple more paying jobs. I have the money for the computer, external drive and software (Final Cut Studio, Adobe After Effects, Adobe CS3), but I will need a couple more jobs to be able to afford a pro monitor. I guess I will start that thread when I get closer. But if there is anything I am missing in the purchase of the MBP, I am all ears (or in this case, eyes).

Al Diaz

Glenn Chan
November 14th, 2007, 02:46 PM
If you fly a lot, you might want the smaller screen since it can get ridiculously cramped. (Depends somewhat on how big you are and how much room is on the plane.)

So the price is $3050 for a new Macbook, which I think is very fair (but I will have to pay $225 extra for 3 years of Apple Care, which I plan on getting).
If you are buying a new non-refurbished laptop for personal use, some credit cards will extend the warranty for 1 year if you pay off the whole purchase on that one credit card.

2- You should be able to hookup a second monitor.

Liam Hall
November 14th, 2007, 03:41 PM
If you fly a lot, you might want the smaller screen since it can get ridiculously cramped.
Eh? What can? I fly all the time with a 17" lap-top. I also have 15" lap-tops and the extra 2 inches makes a real difference when I'm editing. Most of us can do with a couple of extra inches...

Brian Boyko
November 14th, 2007, 04:14 PM
Will this computer keep up with my needs?
First, here's the computer:

Macbook Pro with Duo Intel 2.4 Gig processors
Maxed out at 4 Gigs of Ram
Standard 256 MB graphic card
Hookups: USB2, USB, Firewire 800, Firewire 1394
160 gb Sata Hard Drive that runs at 7200 RPM
DVD-+R 8x
17" Hi Res Screen in Matt

Now, for my needs:
I mostly work in Standard Definition, but plan on moving into HDV early next year.

I realize a desktop would kick butt over this system, but I have to have a laptop. So please, let's just talk Macbook only.

Am I missing anything? Am I paying too much? Is there something I should be buying right now with the new system.

I know this system will handle SD, but I may have a client who wants HD one day. I have no plans on doing raw HD, only HDV. So will this keep me moving at a fairly quick pace?

Finally, what about my external drive? Any sugestions?

Thanks.
AD

I just got a very similar setup. I would suggest dialing the RAM back down to 2GB and buying a non-Apple brand and installing it yourself later - you can save hundreds that way. Other than that, you shouldn't have a problem with it - I'm amazed how fast this thing edits 1080p HD video.

Alfred Diaz
November 14th, 2007, 05:14 PM
Great to hear all the replies.

It looks like this MBP will meet my needs.

I was still wondering about upgrading the graphics card, but I think I answered my own question by going to the Apple store.

I don't think there is any graphic card available above 256MB for the MBP. At least that is what I can determine.

So I guess this is it. It's a little scarry. This cost almost as much as my camera, a Canon XL2. But nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Al