View Full Version : Really annoying!

Simon Wyndham
November 18th, 2007, 07:12 PM
Is there any way to get markers to ripple with an edit?!

This is driving me insane. I've gone through a lengthy speech marking the parts my client wants. But when i edit out and delete sections the damn markers remain static. This is one area that Vegas really absolutely dumps all over FCP. This is driving me absolutely insane!

Carl Middleton
November 18th, 2007, 07:34 PM
I know it's not exactly what you want, but you can always go through and razor and clear (not ripple delete) the pieces you want to get rid of... and then once you have all the pieces sliced how you want them, and just black between 'em, go through and ripple delete the blank areas.

I'm not very familiar with FCP, so I'm guessing as far as how you could achieve it. I'm on PPro.. but give it a shot and maybe that'll work for you?

Carl

Simon Wyndham
November 18th, 2007, 07:58 PM
Thanks for the suggestion, but this won't really work for what I need. The markers are also going to act as chapter points for the DVD. Even if I add a simple title at the beginning of the timeline all the markers are thrown out.

And to make things worse, unlike Vegas I can't just grab the marker with the mouse and drag it. Someone at Apple needs to sort this out. As it stands this feature in FCP is rubbish. I don't want to jump through hoops just to manipulate something as simple as a timeline marker.

Greg Boston
November 18th, 2007, 08:03 PM
Are you inserting chapter markers? Also note the distinction between placing a sequence marker on a clip in the timeline (green), and marking a clip by selecting it and placing the playhead within it (pink). Perhaps the clip markers will maintain their relative position within the material as you edit.

IMHO, DVD Chapter markers should come after you finish the edit.

-gb-

Glenn Chan
November 18th, 2007, 08:04 PM
You could add markers to the clip/event from the timeline (You don't have to go into the viewer to do that).

And then from there you can remake the chapter markers or whatever (you can also reposition them).

2- There might be a more elegant solution. (Other than doing this in Vegas ;) )

Greg Boston
November 18th, 2007, 08:12 PM
BTW, I just did a quick check of my advise above and it seems to work. I marked a clip, deleted the clip before it, then did a close gap to move it back against the end of the clip previous to the one I deleted. The clip with the marker maintained its place within the clip. IOW, it moved with the edit, still marking the same frame I originally marked.

-gb-

Steve Oakley
November 20th, 2007, 10:34 PM
timeline markers are _supposed_ to be stationary. they do indeed serve a purpose when you want to edit to certain lengths, or have clips at certain times and those times don't move. use clip markers instead as others have said.

Simon Wyndham
November 21st, 2007, 04:03 AM
Moving them works pretty nicely in Vegas :-)

In this particular case, adding in the chapters right at the end of the project isn't an option due to the nature of how the work is being performed.

Being able to move markers around (and have them follow edits on the timeline) is something I have become used to being able to do over the years, and it is something I am loathe to give up.

Martin Saxer
November 21st, 2007, 04:44 AM
Hm. Maybe I didn't quite get it. But if you use clip markers (set in the viewer instead of the timeline) they are linked to the clip and "move around". If you have a two camera shot, create a multiclip and set the markers in the viewer. Would you still be missing something that way?

Simon Wyndham
November 21st, 2007, 07:26 AM
Mind you this issue with markers is nothing compared to the trouble I am having with Soundtrack Pro 2 hanging everytime I try to render out a sound file.

Jonathan Schwartz
November 21st, 2007, 09:04 AM
Simon,

I think that the answer for you is to add your markers to the clip not the timeline. Just make sure that you have the clip highlighted when you are adding your markers. This way the markers stay with the clip not the timeline. At the end, you can easily go through and add your chapter markers on the timeline for DVDSP output.

Jonathan Schwartz