View Full Version : Magic Bullet & GL-2 vs. ag-dvx100

Josh Martin
June 15th, 2003, 07:19 AM
Please let me know what you think about this combination. Without thinking about rendering times, do you think that MB and a GL-2 would produce as good of results as the ag-dvx100. A GL-2 and MB would be about the same price as an ag-dvx100, but you don't have the extensive look suite on that camera, and if you had some footage from some other video source that wasn't shot 24p, you could turn it into that if you had MB. Don't you think you would have more options with the two instead of just the one? And would produce good quality results? Please advise,
Josh M.

Ben Lynn
June 15th, 2003, 09:25 PM
I think the Magic Bullet route is a good way to go. Especially considering the fact that at some point you made need to bring in some different source material shot on other dv cameras it will pay off to be able to convert those to 24fps. The Panasonic route would mean you had to shoot everything off that one camera.

Ben Lynn

Josh Martin
June 15th, 2003, 10:25 PM
Do you think the quality of a GL-2 & MB would produce as good of results as an ag-dvx100?

Ben Lynn
June 16th, 2003, 07:11 AM
As long as you shoot it in progressive mode it should. The GL-2 doesn't have good low light capability but that's a well known fact about that camera. Otherwise the Canon progressive video should look just as good as the dvx100 when the extra frames are removed. They both shoot in progressive mode but the dvx100 takes the extra frames out in camera, sort of, while the Canon just shoots it at full frame rate.

Ben Lynn

Tim McGreggor
June 21st, 2003, 12:06 AM
I found that the magic bullet was verry slow at rendering as well as working with it. Is this normal? I would finde it verry hard to see someone useing it for a whole production.

Tim

Marc Martin
June 22nd, 2003, 10:17 PM
Ben, what you want to say by "the Canon progressive video should look just as good as the dvx100 when the extra frames are removed": I don't know what is extra frames.

And how do you remove these extra frames?

Thank.

Ben Lynn
June 23rd, 2003, 07:08 AM
Canon shoots at 30 frames a second and Panasonic shoots at 24 frames a second. Take the extra 6 from the Canon and it should look like the Panasonic.

I don't know software that does that but that's the idea anyway.

Ben Lynn

Marc Martin
June 23rd, 2003, 05:02 PM
OK Ben, I understand now. I have an XM2, and I don't really have the problem of these extra frames, because the XM2 shoots at 25fps, and 24fps don't make a big difference.