View Full Version : Update on 2x performance

Steve Urban
June 18th, 2003, 04:01 PM
Hi All:

I had a chance to fix my harddrive and edit a few video clips using the Century Optics 2x tele-converter. Having fun...

New stuff can be seen at the bottom of this page:
http://www.metrocast.net/~jsurban/

Observations:
- I am definitely getting better quality stills to the memory card with the 2x, no ifs, ands, or buts... just my opinion.
- Forget trying to follow a shorebird on the beach while zoomed at 40x (that is what editing is for I guess).
- When arriving at the beach today, I noticed two photographers with super long lenses (like a Canon 600 mm). They only had their cameras about three feet off the ground while filming the shorebirds. I did the same for the first time and the pictures look a lot better than having the camera almost six feet off the ground.
- I am amazed at how well the stock microphone picks up the bird calls

Steve

Ken E. Williams
June 19th, 2003, 11:12 AM
Hi Steve,

The x40 pictures look great. I did notice some blue fringing on the PipingPlover3_lg.JPG and on ScarletTanager_lg.JPG. Is this an artifact of the 2x converter?

BTW Did you shoot these pictures at Wells, ME or perhaps Plum Island, MA?

Ken W.

Steve Urban
June 19th, 2003, 11:27 AM
Hi Ken:

I shot the plovers at Laudholm Farm in Wells, Maine. You can gain access to the Laudholm Beach and then turn left down the beach to the end where the river is. The Rachel Carson National Wildlife Refuge is just across the Merriland River. This beach has a large nesting colony of Piping Plovers and Least Terns. I noticed that the five Least Tern photos I took came out blurry. I had my tripod in soft wet beach sand and it kept sinking as I went to put the shutter button.

I just noticed the blue fringing also. I need to see if I can put the GL2 in manual mode and maybe change the depth of field, etc...

The Tanager was shot in my backyard at the top of a tall tree with blowing wind (sort of out of range for even the 2x).

I'm going to take a one day bird photo workshop in August at Laudholm farm in Wells to learn some techniques on approaching birds, composing, etc... The instructor agreed to let me in even though I don't have a camera but a camcorder.

Steve

Steve Urban
June 19th, 2003, 11:30 AM
Ken:

I think I read somewhere here that the 2x may cause the blue fringe.

Steve

Brendan Getchel
June 24th, 2003, 09:26 PM
<<<-- Originally posted by Steve Urban : Ken:

I think I read somewhere here that the 2x may cause the blue fringe. -->>>

If you stop it down it noticeably reduces the color fringing and chromatic abberations.

However, the best bet is to try to avoid highly contrasy subjects as best as possible when using the TC -- especially light or white subjects as it will exascerbate the fringing.

While I'm relatively new to the Century 2X TC (got the bayonet mount for my GL2) I have done some relatively extensive testing to find it's sweet spot. Try using at least f/4 or above -- f/5.6 being even better -- if shooting high contrast subjects.

Steve Urban
June 25th, 2003, 03:30 AM
Hi Brendan:

Great tip!
Thanks.

Steve