View Full Version : Books about video compression for the web

Ian Stark
December 12th, 2007, 03:42 AM
Any recommendations for recent/decent books that cover compressing video and audio for the web using Windows Media/Quicktime/Flash/DiVX etc etc?

Thanks!

Ian . . .

Ian Stark
December 12th, 2007, 03:45 AM
I meant to add that I'm probably not looking for deep scientific texts on the subject!

'How-to' rather than 'how-does-it-do-that?' would suit.

Thanks.

Seun Osewa
December 12th, 2007, 06:25 AM
The web (www.doom9.org) is the best place to get information about anything related to itself.

Best Delivery system: Flash Video. Best Compression Format: H264. Flash 9 supports .mp4 files natively, so you can have the best of both worlds. The end.

Ian Stark
December 12th, 2007, 06:42 AM
The web (www.doom9.org) is the best place to get information about anything related to itself.

Best Delivery system: Flash Video. Best Compression Format: H264. Flash 9 supports .mp4 files natively, so you can have the best of both worlds. The end.

Thanks but really looking for recommendations for a printed book that I can read in the bath. I've done a fair amount of web research on the subject and now I want something that will bring it all together. Somehow I tend to trust a printed book a little more than the thousands of different opinions on the web. At least with a book someone has put their money where their mouth is, rather than the web, where anyone and their pet canary can write a load of (potentially) misleading information for free. But it's the reading in the bath thing that does it for me.

I'm just beginning to explore video in Flash apps and I agree that it's a great - a REALLY great - delivery mechanism. The reason I want to learn about other formats/standards/techniques is because my customers don't always give me a choice in final format.

Terry Lee
December 25th, 2007, 04:26 PM
Ian - this may help. Its sort of introductory to Compression but it helped me out alot when I was learning how things transfer.

http://www.adobe.com/designcenter/pr...ion_Primer.pdf

You can print it out and laminate it so you can read it in the tub!

-Terry Lee

Ian Stark
December 27th, 2007, 08:48 AM
Hi Terry,

Thanks for that. Unfortunately the link is not working. The three dots (...) in the URL you typed actually show up as three dots in the address bar in IE, rather than resolving to the full address.

My laminator is ready and warmed up! (But the bath water is now luke warm).

Cheers,

Ian . . .

Terry Lee
December 31st, 2007, 12:02 AM
Hi Terry,

Thanks for that. Unfortunately the link is not working. The three dots (...) in the URL you typed actually show up as three dots in the address bar in IE, rather than resolving to the full address.

My laminator is ready and warmed up! (But the bath water is now luke warm).

Cheers,

Ian . . .

Hmm....thats odd.

Well here, this is a link to the thread I posted about compression that contains the link to the primer link that didn't work. I clicked on it again and it still works.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?p=796162#post796162

Cheers,
Terry.

Ian Stark
December 31st, 2007, 04:52 AM
Many thanks Terry - the link in the other thread works fine - ponly the link in this thread that falls over.

Happy New Year!

Cheers,

Ian . . .

Ian Stark
December 31st, 2007, 05:27 AM
Just scanned through that document - excellent introduction and seems to be just what I was looking for. At 50+ pages it might be a bit bulky to laminate for bathroom use though!

You have saved me a few quid as I was going to pre-order this: http://www.amazon.com/Real-World-Video-Compression/dp/0321514696/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1199097990&sr=1-2

It's not released until February but sadly it's another one of those rip-offs where the UK pound price is £30.39 while the US dollar price is $29.69. At todays rates (a fraction of a penny off £1 = $2) US residents get the book at less than half what we pay here in the UK! I don't mind paying a bit more to cover transportation and taxes etc but this is plain gouging! Apologies to the author, but no sale.

Phew. I feel better now.

Thanks again for the link Terry .

Terry Lee
December 31st, 2007, 11:13 AM
Oh wow, that did save you quite a bit.

I didn't notice its length, i'd say a morning tea reader rather than the bath. You might fall asleep!

Glad to help Ian!

Happy filming :)
-Terry Lee.

Ian Stark
December 31st, 2007, 11:31 AM
There will be no morning tea tomorrow, I guarantee it! Even if there was, I am planning to be incapable of focusing on written material until at least lunch time.

Cheers!

Ian . . .