View Full Version : XM2 to PsP or MSDraw?

Graham Bernard
June 19th, 2003, 07:30 AM
How can I add my darling XM2 as a Canon Camera. No problem with the USB link with the Canon s/w - done that, been there.

No, what I wish to attempt is make the XM2 a digital camera, and for the stills card images to go straight to my graphics packages.

The only Canon cameras listed in WinME setup are 3 types of the Canon Powershot. - Could I use the XM2 as one of these as a "fake" Powershots?

What would then be available, maybe, would be to "view" video footage, pause and then capture that still to the graphics package.

Any takers?

Grazie

Nigel Moore
June 19th, 2003, 07:49 AM
My experience with 'faking it' has not been successful. Generally, the dirvers are pretty specific.

Your best bet for capturing stills from the card would be to buy a dedicated card reader. Much easier in the long run IMO.

Stills from tape would have to be captured into your edit suite and taken from there.

But this is based on my experience with the PC100/XL1s. The XM2 may play nicely.

Chris Hurd
June 19th, 2003, 08:54 AM
I agree with Nigel, an inexpensive SD card reader is definitely the way to go... takes all the pain out of it.

Graham Bernard
June 19th, 2003, 09:51 AM
So obvious!

Thanks

Grazie

Chris Fangio
June 19th, 2003, 10:17 AM
Am I getting something wrong or is it just too easy? If you plug your XM2 to a Windows 2000/XP oder Mac Os 9.x / X computer via USB, the SD card is treated like a HD. You can start Photoshop or whatever you like and simply open the images directly from the SD. No need to tell Windows that it's a camera. Don't know if that's what you're looking for.

Chris

Ken E. Williams
June 19th, 2003, 10:53 AM
Grazie,

Chris Fangio states:

>If you plug your XM2 to a Windows 2000/XP or Mac Os 9.x / X computer via USB, the SD card is treated like a HD. You can start Photoshop or whatever you like and simply open the images directly from the SD.

I use a similar process under Windows ME. I access the SD card as a drive, copy files to a graphics folder and then open the files with Photoshop. The point of this method is to keep a folder of untouched still images that can be archived.

Ken W.

Chris Fangio
June 19th, 2003, 10:59 AM
Ken,

I was unsure if Win ME supports direct access to a USB storage device. Good to know. Copying SD files to your HD and working with these files is a good way as the data rate of the SD card is pretty slow.

Chris

Graham Bernard
June 19th, 2003, 11:11 AM
Of course! The XM2 came up as my J: drive - got 4 external f/w drives f: >> I: - No problem. No need for a card reader, no need to fiddle about with getting the card out; I'm using the XM2 to capture video anyway so there you go!

I wonder if I can have my XM2 linked up via the firewire AND the USB at the same time? This way video, that way Stills? only a thought.

Thanks guys - Ken & Fangio - and others here,

Grazie

Chris Fangio
June 19th, 2003, 11:17 AM
<<<-- Originally posted by Graham Bernard : I wonder if I can have my XM2 linked up via the firewire AND the USB at the same time? This way video, that way Stills? only a thought.
Grazie -->>>

Sure. Windows detects the position of the card/tape switch and offers you either a new drive as mentioned above (card) or access to your video tape via your editing or capturing software (tape).

Graham Bernard
June 20th, 2003, 04:35 AM
Chris - So, so obvious - The switching between "Tape/Card" does it. Haven't tested to failure - YET! Thanks!

Grazie