View Full Version : XLR Adaptor Question...

Pages : [1] 2 3

Tore Krudtaa
October 22nd, 2002, 07:27 AM
Any advice on what adapter to choose:

Have an XM-2 and two Sennheiser ME66/K6 mics.

- Canons MA-300

- Beachtek DXA-4P

Or some other adapter.

Pros and cons on each adapter please.

Linc Kesler
October 22nd, 2002, 09:00 AM
I can only share my personal experience, but I have been using the Studio 1 Pro box for a while now and like it very much. Here are its features.
It has two inputs and outputs to a 4' cord with a minijack on the end (for the camera). The box is designed to clip on your belt. When I'm on a location shoot involving getting in and out of vehicles, this proves to be a good design: the box is secure, and I can route cables and peripherals (wireless receivers, etc.) either to other places on my belt, or to pockets on my jacket. The weight is off the camera, so I'm not waving cords around while I'm trying to work. When I'm working on my tripod, I hang the box on the d-ring of my tripod strap. It's a passive device, which means no batteries, and it doesn't introduce noise, or seem to pick up interference at all.

Each channel has an XLR input, and a second input that is a mono 1/8" jack on channel 1, a 1/4" mono jack on channel 2. This is great for me because I usually use XLR inputs, but sometimes run a wireless on channel one that has a mono 1/8" plug. Each channel also has a switch that allows input at line level, so you can go in directly from a mixing board or house system if you want (handy in auditoriums, etc.). There's a switch to mix inputs over both camera channels if you want, and a ground lift switch if for some reason you end up with a ground loop. Each channel also has an attenuator to balance volume, if you are going into a camera with only one level control. It's handy with the GL2 because you can set the level you want at the camera, and then cut the volume to nothing at the box to avoid noise on the mic that is not active, and then return to the preset level just by maxing the control on the box when you want that mic active. There is no loss of signal strength through the box. I've been told there is some loss across the BEachtek box, but I haven't personally verified this (that could matter, depending on your mic and camera, since boosting the camera gain might add noise to your track). The inputs are electrically insulated from the outputs, so if your camera has dc current on the jack (Sony), no worries.

In short, my experience is that it is a very well-designed box, suitable for use with a wide range of equipment and situations, and built with high quality materials. I bought it after talking to as many people as I could, and have not regretted it a bit. I like the fact that I can use it with other recording equipment (audio, for instance) to use balanced lines, if I need to, and I like the belt-clip concept a lot. A whole lot less chance of toppling the camera if somebody trips over a cable! And no, I don't own stock in the company: I just really like well-designed equipment that does what it is supposed to do and stays out of the way.

I hope this helps,
Linc Kesler

Tore Krudtaa
October 22nd, 2002, 04:40 PM
You said:
It has two inputs and outputs to a 4' cord with a minijack on the end (for the camera).

Since I sometimes will shoot walking/running with the camcorder in my hand..... this sounds like music in my ears...

But can I extend the 4' cord (to the camera) without generating any crap sound. It would be nice to put the wire to the camera out the arms of my jacket, do not want it hanging around. I guess 6' to 8' would be long enough.

And since I have the adapter on my belt.... I visited studio1productions website, but could not find any out cord for my earphones...... it would be nice to get this from the adapter and not another cord to my camcorder ?????

Again...Thanks a lot..

Linc Kesler
October 22nd, 2002, 04:56 PM
Hi Tore,

I guess you could use a stereo minijack extension cord to work as you suggest, but I'd wait until you get the box: you might find the cord long enough. There is no headphone jack, but I'd suggest that it's worth an extra cord to the camera to get your sound there: if there's a problem, you'll hear it! I once recorded a brilliant lecture, but had forgotten my headphones and had borrowed a wireless mic. When I got back to my office and turned on the monitor, great visuals and no sound. Not a mistake I'll ever make again!

Good luck,
Linc

Tore Krudtaa
October 24th, 2002, 04:38 AM
Hi Linc.

Your suggestion sounds good. So I ordered it yesterday.

Thanks for the advice.

Joe Bowey
November 2nd, 2002, 05:52 PM
The only reason I would choose the Ma-300 is because it has video out. I think it is a bnc connection.

Imran Zaidi
December 12th, 2002, 09:10 AM
I'm currently borrowing a Beachtek XLR adapter for my new GL2, and I need to buy one of my own. I see only two options...

I could get the Beachtek DXA4P which is the standard screw to the tripod mount kind...
http://www.beachtek.com/dxa4p.html

or

the Studio1 XLR-BP PRO which is the belt-clip kind....
http://www.studio1productions.com/xlr-bp_pro.htm

What's the buzz out there on these two? I know the Beachtek is more common. The Studio1 is cheaper, and you can clip it to your belt. I've only used the Beachtek and so have no frame of reference since I don't have much experience in these matters...

Also, is there another similar good product out there that I don't know about?

Graham Bernard
December 12th, 2002, 09:31 AM
What's wrong with the MA300 Canon adaptor? I've got a Sennhiesor mic clamped to it. Just done some tests with it - it works. Or am I missing something?

Grazie

Imran Zaidi
December 12th, 2002, 10:01 AM
2 reasons

1. The thing is kind of flimsy and awkward
2. I've heard that it doesn't have balanced connectors, and at the very least is only designed for short runs.

I don't know if #2 is true, but I do know that the annoying #1 is reason enough for me to avoid it altogether. Apparently I'm not alone on this, as I've found much discussion on this topic on several sites and reviews.

Jeff Donald
December 12th, 2002, 10:02 AM
I use Sound Devices products http://www.sounddevices.com/index.html In the past i've tried both Studio 1 and BeachTek but I was not satified with the quality and overall construction and reliability. I do a lot of field work and on occasion by equipment gets abused. The sound Devices products are very rugid, offer more standard features and have better specs.

Jeff

Imran Zaidi
December 12th, 2002, 10:11 AM
Jeff,

Which one of their products would be their equivalent of something like the basic XLR adapter for my GL2?

I like the idea behind that USBPre thing... Would be nice to record sound right to a laptop... 'course, I'm low budget and just trying to scrape something passable together for right now!

Thanks!

Graham Bernard
December 12th, 2002, 01:13 PM
Imran - Used the rig with the Senn, an extra light, plug it into the top "spare" shoe of the MA300 - no problem here. Sound balance is controllable via the XM2 controls OR better still do it post shoot in the NLE s/w. Looked at the Beechtek - looked good, bolted under the cammy into the tripod bush, but needs to be vertically "XLR-plu-wired" to any "above" cammy external mic. Wellll Imran, "Yer pays yer money yer takes yer choice".

The MA300 is plastic, HARD plastic, which results on it adding little to the overall wrist weight/mass when holding up the thing. The whole cammy is plastic - yes? The "fixing" joint relies on the shoe sliding into the exsisting Canon shoe - BUT it does have a truly large if not massive thumb nut to tighten up the device.

I did a short pub/bar R 'n R shoot with it - it was okay and wouldn't have liked to have anything heavier - yes?

Best regards - Grazie

Imran Zaidi
December 12th, 2002, 02:31 PM
It says it right here:

http://www.dvinfo.net/canongl2/articles/topfive.php

The MA-300 is intended for nearby unbalanced situations, not for long runs, for which "you might want to consider a different third-party XLR adapter solution." To me that sounds like it's fine for a cam-mounted shotgun solution, but if you're doing a boom situation, forget it. Also, I don't believe the MA-300 has any auxiliary inputs.

I also believe that the Studio1 XLR adapter can be used with a DAT or a MiniDisc recorder, because the grounding configuration is variable. And since it's a belt clip situation, there's no weight issue at all (although then a cam-mounted shotgun becomes more difficult).

I might have just convinced myself, but I'd like some other input from anyone out there who might have used one/all of these options?

Mireille Arakelian
December 12th, 2002, 03:05 PM
The one single reason not to buy the MA300 is that it has no phantom power supply.

Jeff Donald
December 12th, 2002, 05:43 PM
I use several Sound Devices products. I use the MP-1 for most of my field work. It's very sturdy and provides a line out and phantom power. It also has a seperate headphone out that is adjustable. It may be more than what you need however. If I had to pick between the Studio 1 and the Beachtek, I would go with the BeachTek. It held up under field conditions much better.

Jeff

Ed Fiebke
December 12th, 2002, 08:05 PM
Eyeing to purchase this item for the (soon to be purchased) Canon GL2.

Noticed that the DXA-4P is geared towards the GL1. Will it attach itself to the GL2 in a similar fashion? Does it work well with the GL2?

(Obviously, I'm new to digital cameral world. I'm not aware of the physical differences between the GL1 and the GL2.)

Also. . . What is your opinion of the sound quality of Beach Tek's DXA-4P? Is it "noisy"? Is there a limited audio frequency response?

I'm also doing a little research into Sound Device products. Unfortunately they're a bit out of my price range. . . for now. Hopefully the DXA-4P will meet my more immediate needs.

Thanks.

Ted

Linc Kesler
December 13th, 2002, 07:37 PM
I've not used the beachtek, but I have a Studio 1 that I am very happy with. I do not subject it to really rough conditions, though. The case is plastic, but all the connectors seem good quality. Here's what I like about it.

1) off camera. I hang it on the tripod strap, or my belt if I am mobile. Isolates the cords from the camera for better handling. Even on the tripod, it keeps the center of gravity on tilt adjustments closer to the axis of rotation.

2) 2 channels, both with XLR inputs, and a phone jack input each (one 1/4", one 1/8"). Very versatile.

3) switches allow mic or line level on each channel independently. Feed from a board possible, as well as both balanced and unbalanced mics. You can mix channels for mono.

4) individual level controls on each channel. Good for setting level on camera if you can't otherwise, or with the GL2, setting the camera level, and then cutting channel level if necessary during the shoot, and returning to the preset level without checking the meter (micing yourself and have to caugh?).

5) has a ground lift switch, good for avoiding the occasional idiosyncratic piece of equipment (Sony camcorders, etc.) .

6) The versatility: you can use it with any piece of equipment that has a minijack mic input, etc., allowing the use of balanced mics in other situations.

7) It's passive, and adds no noise to the circuit. At one point I was thinking of using a small mixer, but it was too noisy (as well as bulky and needing a plug). This device is transparent and does not attenuate the signal from the mic. I was told (by someone selling both) that the Beachtek does attenuate the signal noticably, but I have not personally verified that.

I think it might really depend on what suits your needs and style, but I have found it ideal for my uses. I do not work for the company either, and others may be better: it's just my experience!

Linc Kesler

Scott Silverman
December 13th, 2002, 11:26 PM
Hi,
I have two questions:
1. With the canon MA-300, about how long do you guys think I could have my XLR cable before I start getting noise or interferance?

2. With the Studio 1, how do you manage an on-camera microphone? Do you have to run your XLR cable off the mic, across your body and into the box? This means that there are 2 cables coming from the camera to the box: the mic cable, and the mini-jack plug from the Studio 1 box. Dosn't this get annoying with two cables running back and forth?

Thanks!

Aaron Koolen
December 15th, 2002, 04:12 AM
I'll add another option into the mix for you. I bought a Sign Video XLR Pro from Zotz Digital a while ago and have been using that. The constrution is metal and all the connectors and switches seem rugged. It is both belt and undercam mountable. Has 2 1/4" mini jacks for input and two xlr inputs. Line/Mic switchable on both inputs. Two ground options and mono/stereo switch when you use just one input. I find it a good piece of equipment for the price (US$145 from Zotz)

The only thing I didn't like about it is that the volume controls are mounted on the wrong side of the unit so when it's undercam, hand holding can be awkward and if you're not careful you can inadvertently adjust the volume. Of course you can just belt clip carry it if that's an issue, but still a little inconvenient as I don't like belt clip mounting my adapter. Check it out at zotz, here.

The sound quality from is seems pretty damned good and I have no complaints yet.

http://www.zotzdigital.com/?page=shop/browse&company_id=Sign%20Video

From what I understand, studio1 used to sell these until they branched out with their own units.

Cheers
Aaron

Imran Zaidi
December 15th, 2002, 11:26 AM
Zotz makes their own? Interesting. How long is the cable that you can do either belt or under-cam mounting? The studio1's is 4 feet.

Also, natural concern is, why is it so much cheaper than the others?

Thanks for the new input!

Mark Austin
December 15th, 2002, 01:07 PM
<<<-- Originally posted by Scott Silverman : Hi,
I have two questions:
1. With the canon MA-300, about how long do you guys think I could have my XLR cable before I start getting noise or interferance?

I have used 30' of XLR with my AT835b and the MA300 with total silence. Let me qualify that; it's not "silent" but it's way quieter than the noise floor of my GL2. If you are using a mic with an internal power source like the AT835b you could probably run 50-100' with no problems since the signal is pretty hot coming from the mic. Noise may not be the only problem at that length, it may also suck some of the life out of your mic if it's a dynamic and not a condenser (powered) mic. I also use Mogami (Low Ox) cable, it's light and very flexible and does a great job of rejecting noise by itself. If you use pro gear you're more likely to get pro results - stay away from Radio Shack and other cheap cables and you'll be much better off.

Mark

Scott Silverman
December 15th, 2002, 01:35 PM
Mark,
I would be using a ME66 (nonphantom) Do you think it would work as well as your AT835b with low noise if I used a professional cable with it?

Thanks!

Aaron Koolen
December 15th, 2002, 05:46 PM
<<<-- Originally posted by Imran Zaidi : Zotz makes their own? Interesting. How long is the cable that you can do either belt or under-cam mounting? The studio1's is 4 feet.

Also, natural concern is, why is it so much cheaper than the others?

Thanks for the new input! -->>>

Zotz don't make their own, they are just resellers of the Sign Video ones. Go to

http://www.signvideo.com/xlr-pro_xlr_adapter-audio-mixer.htm

for a look at the adapter. It' seems good and I heard good things about it's sound quality before I bought it.

The default cable is about 30cm long but comes with an extender cable of about 1.2m.

Cheers
Aaron

Charles Fields
December 17th, 2002, 08:31 AM
I have both the XLR-BP and the XLR-BP Pro from Studio 1.

The XLR-BP is a great low budget adapter for short mic runs. The XLR-BP Pro will handle anything you throw at it. I have run mic line 200 feet with it and no problems.

Some people make a big deal that the box it plastic, but I can say it is very rugged and buy having in the plastic box keeps it light weight, which helps when you have it on your belt. The box is internally shielded and Studio 1 also shields the transformers. Noise pickup has never been a problem for me.

The controls on the XLR-BP Pro are on the side of the box, while the jacks are on the face. This make it nice if you have to move and pull the cables with you, as the XLR adapter will not slip off your belt.

I asked the people at Studio 1 why they make the XLR-BP and the XLR-BP Pro, they said to meet different peoples needs. The XLR-BP is aimed at the low budget person who is using dynamic mics on interviews or mic booms. They said they sell a lot of the XLR-BP's to schools where the kids do the school news and interview other kids.

They said that most high end videographers buy the XLR-BP Pro since it can handle both mic and line level input and has a ground lift switch. (I have found the ground lift switch to have saved my butt more than once when connecting to audio mixing boards and ended up with a groud loop hum problem).

I have tried the XLR-PRO that Zotz has and didn't care for it. They say it can be mounted on the belt, but if you move and the cables pull, it pulls on the side of the adapter causing it to slip off the belt. Hand holding it is a real problem and either the connectors or the controls are pressed in your hand. There are a few other problems I didn't like about it.

Beachtek can be hand held a lot better than the XLR-PRO, however it can't be belt mounted.

The sound quality on the Studio 1 "hears" to be better, with the XLR-PRO coming in second and the Beach coming in third. The Beach unit seems to have a slight audio level loss.

Everyone has different needs and opinions on what they need for an XLR adapter. I like having the XLR adapter off of the camera.

Hope this helps anyone who is looking at these different adapters. Charles

Imran Zaidi
December 17th, 2002, 09:58 AM
It seems that many people seem to like the Studio1. I think I am going that route - I really like the idea of the belt clip, and the ground lift.

Since I currently am using a borrowed Beachtek, and I will be getting the Studio 1 XLR BP Pro for myself, I'll post my feelings about each here when I get a chance to compare the two.

Thanks everyone!

Mark Austin
December 17th, 2002, 10:45 AM
<<<-- Originally posted by Scott Silverman : Mark,
I would be using a ME66 (nonphantom) Do you think it would work as well as your AT835b with low noise if I used a professional cable with it?

Thanks! -->>>

How far are you going to go? As I mentioned before noise is one factor, and the second is that in a long run the dynamic mics loose some puch over a long cable. That's a problem if you are a singer, but it may not even be noticeable for voice recording. Most people can't hear the difference.

I'm going to try and and solve the balanced / unbalanced xlr quandry once and for all..I'll keep you posted for results..
Mark

Imran Zaidi
December 17th, 2002, 01:52 PM
<<<-- Originally posted by Imran Zaidi :
Since I currently am using a borrowed Beachtek, and I will be getting the Studio 1 XLR BP Pro for myself, I'll post my feelings about each here when I get a chance to compare the two.
-->>>

Hey, it works out great... turns out Studio1Productions is run out of a location 20 minutes from me. They don't have a retail store, but they gave me free shipping for being in town and took my order over the phone to ensure it would be shipped today, which probably means I'll get it tomorrow.

I should have a mini-comparison/review between the two soon.

Imran Zaidi
December 19th, 2002, 11:57 PM
OK, I got the Studio 1 Productions XLR BP Pro yesterday (only took a day since Studio 1 headquarters is in my 'hood). So I decided that I need to, if only for myself, find out once and for all which one I think is better, since I had a borrowed Beachtek on hand as well. After doing my testing, I'm pretty much convinced, and it would take some really hard evidence otherwise to change my mind. So here's the summary.

First, the parts involved:

Camera: Canon GL2
XLR Adapters: Studio1 XLR BP Pro and the Beachtek DXA4P
Shotgun Mic: Azden SGM-2X, connected with a hi-quality lo-z 4-foot cable with balanced connectors
Test area: Carpeted bedroom, A/C turned off, no other discernible audio interruptions (late at night)
Test subject: Moi, an 'advanced amateur with a very good ear'

Physical comparison:
The Studio1 is lighter. However, it seems every bit as durable as the Beachtek. It's just lighter. I imagine Studio1 could have stuck a sandbag or lead brick inside if they so wished to make it seem like it's more durable, but I like the fact that it's lighter. But it's not like it feels like cheap plastic--it seems to be made of the same material on the outside. I don't believe that either one would outlast the other in the field. But then, I can't remember the last time I went on Safari (never) so what do I know?

During the entire duration of the test, the mic was approximately 1 foot from my mouth, in normal mode (no wind-noise cancelling). The volume controls in both adapters were set to maximum, with levels being controled with the GL2's all new on board level controls. The Studio1 is brand new, and the Beachtek is over a year old, but handled with care.

The tests:
I recorded myself reading a long paragraph of a product description. At one point at the end of a sentence, the recording was paused. Everything was kept the same, all in the same place, with the only difference being the switchout of the XLR adapter from one to the other. The recording was then resumed with me continuing the reading. In playback, the only difference was the audio. When playing back, this was a great quick way to compare and contrast the two sounds.

The result? The Studio1 was letting through significantly more sound. At first I thought there was more hiss, but I was wrong. What was happening upon closer inspection and a repeat of the test, was that EVERYTHING was louder coming through the Studio1; my voice, the ambient sound of the room, everything. Also, upon closer inspection, with the Beachtek, when the audio levels indicator was just at the turning point between green and yellow, a switch to the Studio1 one pushed the levels well into the yellow area. There was no question, the Beachtek was not letting some sound through that the Studio1 was.

Then I tried another test - silence to silence, with matched audio levels, to get an overall idea of the sound I could get. Basically, what I did was adjust volume to a good level on one adapter, talk and then record silence, and then do the switchout of the adapter, but this time, adjust the audio levels to match, and then start recording with silence and then speak some more. This, again, was a good quick way to do a comparison, this time, with matched audio levels.

The result of this test? Well, since the Studio1 was letting in more sound, I found that when the levels of the camera were brought down to make it match the levels with the Beachtek hooked up, I got what I felt to be a cleaner sound with less background hiss, presumably because the camera was just getting more to work with from the Studio1. So with the volume being turned down, so did any unwanted noise. My voice appeared clearer, and I could more clearly hear the smack of my tongue and every lip-lick or saliva bubble as I talked. Sorry for the ugly visual.

Conclusion:
I was really not expecting to hear any real discernible difference. I honestly thought that you would need lab gear to really gauge which adapter might be better. But this wasn't a lab test. I didn't have a multi-thousand dollar audio meter or mixer or any such device hooked up. But I definitely noticed a difference - my ears heard it, and my camera's audio levels indicated it loud and clear.

I enjoyed the fact that everything was kept simple in this test. The point of this was to do a straight one-to-one comparison, with as few outside factors as possible. I am not an audio engineer. Like I said before, I'm just an advanced amateur with a very good ear. Take my test as you so choose. I just know that I'm convinced--The Studio1 is for me. Especially when you account for the fact that you can potentially use it with other devices, and you aren't just limited to your one camera. And I really like the fact that I can keep it on my belt, because that works really well with my camera stabilizer. The more weight I can take off, the happier my forearm is.

Hope this guerrilla test was useful to you. Just thought I'd offer something back since this board has been helping me tremendously on a variety of topics.

Imran.

Scott Silverman
December 20th, 2002, 12:28 AM
Thanks for that review. Now your next step is to compare the MA300 to the Studio1 and we will have a final result! (just kidding)

Thanks for that great review, I figured the Studio 1 would be better, now I know for sure. However, I think when my GL2 comes along and am going to get a MA300 because I will be doing mostly mic on camera work using a ME66. I am the only man, I have no sound guy and I will be shooting handheld/glidecam/tripod back and forth so the mic cord coming off the camera and to my belt and then back into the camera could be a pain.

Thanks again for your review, I hope others find it just as useful as I did!

Graham Bernard
December 20th, 2002, 12:56 AM
Imran - Very thorough and logical test.

Scott - Yes, MA300 here. Have the Senny [Sennhiesher]ME66 etc... Single camerman here too, can't be bothering with lots of wires and things hanging off tripods. Senny has own battery; done interviews in crowded bars, need to "whizz" easily through crowds; wedding stuff needing the same. I'm a klutz when it comes to parts and wires, don't feel I want to trip over wires - works for me - simple - effective and excellent quality. Thehas an extra "gripping" mic boss sticking out with the Senny mic [and its logo-ed Sennhieser cover - very posey!] very pro looking!!!

Grazie

Scott Silverman
December 20th, 2002, 03:27 AM
Grazie,
Thats part of the reason I liked it too, is because of the way it looked. I saw a picture and it looked very nice, and also (of course) the functionality. I like everything being in one unit. If I had the studio 1, I would probably set the camera down on a table and then walk away, forgetting the microphone cable was attached to my belt. CRASH there goes my brand new GL2 within the first 48 hours that I own it. Too bad about the MA300 not having a mini out though, because if I ever get a MD, I would love connect my ME66 to it and record sound portably. Can't wait to get my GL2...still saving...

Graham Bernard
December 20th, 2002, 04:24 AM
Scott - There is a BNC connector - I believe this is for some type of EXTRA video device - maybe a monitor, or whatever.... Hey! Howzabout the headphone jack... can't that be used? As, I'm presuming your comment, "Too bad about the MA300 not having a mini out though, because if I ever get a MD, I would love connect my ME66 to it and record sound portably." - I've monitored my Seny on this.... sooooooo...... Or are you thinking of something else.

YES - all the kit in one place does have a major advantage for me. Theft not being low on the agenda, but mostly me being a bit of a forgetful head when it comes to having bits 'n pieces lurking on tables and in or out of the cammy bag - yes?

I will say that the MA300 does transmit "zoom" motor noise up through the stem to the Sennni. However there is a tiny - and I mean a tiny/small - DIP type of switch you need to activate. This is a "Roll-Off Filter" and they say, "effectively rejects rumble, handling, pop and wind noises, as well as reduce the proximity effect when used in close miking situations." Haven't done a serious "Imran-Type" tech analysis yet, but I'm sure it will do the trick.

So all-in-all, and taking the tech analysis from Imran on-board, I'm happy with the MA300. I don't know any audio comparisons with the Beechy or the others mentioned. If my videography skills advance enough and I start requiring a more capable audio adaptor then I will revisit this issue. The XLR metal ins and outs work very smartly.

As I said in my first post "Yer pays Yer money - Yer takes Yer choice" Thanks once again to Imran - Imran you have renforced my intial buying decision on the MA300 - if just on ergonomic grounds AND my own particular - and not TOO little - "short run" filming. AND, if I reeeeeeallly need some back up power there is always the option of a full Cammy battery belt - yes? If I was to go down a six/ten hour shoot this would be both essential and plenty.

The other cool thing about the MA300 Scott - it does look really does look the business with the extra light slid into the "spare" MA300 accessory show. yes it is plastic, but it, IMHO, feels very tough, and secure with the, if not hefty thumb nut, does clamp down on a large-ish area, thereby "spreading" the "leverage - after all the XM2 may look as if it is made from aliminimum, but it is silver paint on a plastic body. Just thinking about it, with the "angled" mic clamp, pushing the centre of gravity to the right - having a lamp perched in the accessory shoe, will TEND to bring the some of the "force" back on centre again.

So, there you have it Scott! If after all this you still aint happy with your MA300, I suppose you might - if you strike up the correct customer-supplier relationship - be able to return to the Ye Olde Cammy Shoppe for a replacement. Having a good and respectful buying relationship does, of course, go both ways -yes? I know this has been offered to me by my supplier - a very nice man indeed. Don't forget, if you start oput on the right foot, then I've found most suppliers will be more than eager to retain you as a truly valuable client, in the years to come. Oh yes one other thing while I'm on the subject of suppier/customer relationships. Do contact the actual sales person within a week and DO say - if you are - how pleased with the kit. We are all human, and a bit of post-purchase praise will go a long way - if not for purely non-altruistic reasons - it will make the sales person feel respected and comfortable when you you may have a "gripe" in the future. I suppose what I'm also saying is that, try and share with the person your keen and enthusiastic feelings for the product and video - yes?

My apologies if you know this already, but there are others who will be reading this - and you never know it may spread a little "respect" in the world - something, even at this time for some of us, of festivity, appears to be in short measure.

OooEr! Got a bit carried away with myself there - but I think you catch my drift?

Best regards

Grazie

Graham Bernard
December 20th, 2002, 04:32 AM
Scott - Sorry I forgot! I don't remember if I metioned it -BUT when I use the Canon WD58 AND the extra light, my Senni does create a noticable "shadow" in the WD58 field of view. This is, of course, unacceptable. I'm presently working on a "fix". A pro-video colleague of mine says," Yeah, well all good cameren make adaptions with gaffer and other bits 'n bobs - and funnily enough, just makes you look a bit more serious about your work and pro as a result" - yeah well, we'll see 'bout that - eh? After all, the proof of the pudding etc etc.....

Grazie

Scott Silverman
December 20th, 2002, 05:12 AM
Grazie,
When I said "Too bad about the MA300 not having a mini out though, because if I ever get a MD, I would love connect my ME66 to it and record sound portably" I meant a mini 1/8 in. out jack for plugging into the mic in on a MD recorder. This way I can record video and sound seperately. I am 99% sure the MA300 does not have a 1/8 out. So any ways, I can get the MA300 for about $140 and then if I ever get a MD I can invest in a Studio 1 also without spending too much dough on sound equip.

One suggestion to you about the noise from the zoom motor: If it is a problem there is a way to fix it. Instead of using the mic mount built into the MA300, take out your light and mount your mic into the "extra" accessory shoe on the MA300. This can be done easily with a shock mic mount from light wave systems. The shock mount and the extra length should reduce the noise to nothing, I think. Well good luck in your video & sound adventures!

Graham Bernard
December 20th, 2002, 06:06 AM
You are correct. The MA300 does not have an audio out - but the XM2 itelf does have a headphone socket - that's what I meant. I'm only suggesting this as an option to "Y-off" to the MD [Mini Disc?]. Is that correct?

Thanks for the tip on the reducing the motor sound. However, where do I put the Extra light, when I've put the mic. clamp in to that one? Hmm....?

Grazie

Ps Thanks for your good wishes for my future - I reciprocate!

Imran Zaidi
December 20th, 2002, 08:21 AM
I suppose things like this do always boil down to preference - do I want the adapter on the cam or not, do I like the way it looks or not, do I want the extra cables or not.

All in all, I just haven't thought to use the MA300 because of the buzz I've heard on it that it's good for short runs, but long runs may introduce noise, or loss of volume. At least, that's the theory behind non-balanced situations. It's very possible to get good audio without balanced connections, but I personally wouldn't want to add the possibility. I like to eliminate potential problems where I can.

My test with the Beachtek and Studio1 was just a short run test (4 feet). However, had a I had an MA300 while I was testing the other two, I would probably have stuck on a 25 foot or longer cable to see what happens. But, unless someone's willing to send me one ;) I'm not about to buy one now, now that I have this Studio1.

Thanks for the feedback!
Imran.

Graham Bernard
December 20th, 2002, 08:38 AM
Imran it's a pleasure. Oh I see what you mean by a "long" run - you meant the length of cable - and and and picking up interference or loosing quality. Right! Oh - for this I would use a radio mic that our CHannel 4 uses. I can get hold of a Tx Rx system for £169.00 - yeah?

Anyways - guess what I'm now on BT [British Telecom] Broadband and your message was the very first to be signalled up on my "always-connected" option! Brilliant!

Best regards

Grazie

Mark Austin
December 20th, 2002, 10:35 AM
see thread
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5531

let me know if you are interested in the results and I'll make them available.
Mark

Imran Zaidi
December 20th, 2002, 11:01 AM
I'd be very interested in seeing the results!

Mark Austin
December 20th, 2002, 11:06 AM
<<<-- Originally posted by Imran Zaidi : I'd be very interested in seeing the results! -->>>

I'm going out of town for the holiday, but should be able to complete the test before 1/1/03

Ed Anders
February 24th, 2003, 04:07 AM
Just saw that Studio 1 is comming out with a new Pro adapter, the Studio 1 XLR-BP3-PRO Belt pack audio adapter which features three XLR inputs! Input 1 is independent, while Inputs 2 & 3 are combined onto the same channel. Attenuator volume controls allow you to balance the relative levels of the three inputs. Mic/line switches, mono/stereo. I read that this is a new item, due to be released early in the year. Has anyone seen or tried one yet and how much is it?
Ed

Charles Fields
February 24th, 2003, 07:02 AM
I saw this too. Looks like it is going to be a great product. I called them on Friday to see exactly when it is going to be shipping they said around Friday of this week. (Feb27 or so).

I have a couple of their XLR-BP Pro's and I was told the XLR-BP 3 Pro will have the same great audio quality and features. It will have a 3rd XLR input, but they had to drop the 1/4" input due to space limitations. For me that's not a big deal, I mainly use XLR inputs.

I was told the price will be $199.95.

Charles.

GaryBushey
March 24th, 2003, 05:45 AM
Which would give better sound performance (if either)? I have seen an XLR cable adapter and I have seen adapters that sit on the XL2's hotshot and take the mike's directly. Not having played with these do they plug into the camera's microphone input?

Ken Tanaka
March 25th, 2003, 12:17 PM
There are 2 3rd party XLR adapters for the GL2 (that I know of); the BeachTek and the Studio 1. Each has a loyal following, but I believe them to be largely equivalent. They attach to the camera's tripod thread and into the Mic jac.

Canon now makes a MA-300 XLR adapter that connects into the camera's "SmartShoe" and passes audio through the shoe. Having never used it I can't speak for it's audio quality. The concentration of cable strain on a plastic shoe, however, makes me nervous about its durability.

Aaron Rosen
March 26th, 2003, 01:08 AM
Hello All -

I have the MA-300 and must say the Audio quality is very good. The plastic is tough and so far I have not had a problem... The only issue with it is that is offers no Phantom Power and no signal boost to self powered mics, at least the one I have.

So If you have a preamp, or know of and have a great shotgun mice (ME66) then it would work fine.

No EXTRA wires, looks cool, not very heavy.

Not Bad.

- AR

GaryBushey
March 28th, 2003, 09:39 AM
Any one use the Shure A96F converter? It looks like it would work but I would hate to buy it and not have it work

Rick Forge
April 10th, 2003, 12:07 PM
Trying to grab some needed accessories for my GL2 and was all set to buy a Beachtek xlr adaptor when the sales person referred to it as JUNK and recommended the xlr pro by Sign Video. Can someone offer some feedback on these units or should I consider another brand (I can't use the ma 300 because of need to have a light on the hot shoe). Any help greatly appreciated!

Don Palomaki
April 10th, 2003, 07:16 PM
Looks like the old model Studio One adapter tah has been supreceeded. Some folks feel the Studio One was a bit better than the Beachtek. Most felt they were about equal.

Graham Bernard
April 11th, 2003, 11:25 PM
Errrmmm... MA300 hot shoe adaptor is designed to take a light on top - honest! I've done it with a Senni in the mic holder. That's a light PLUS a Senni mic PLUS the XLR adaptor. The Senni is XLRed into the MA300 - dead easy!

The extra light doesn't take power from the Cammy battery, it takes it from its own supply. - No drain on the cammy.

Aaron Koolen
April 12th, 2003, 02:51 AM
Hi j and j. I have the sign video XLR adapter but haven't tried the beachteks. I got the sign video because it was cheaper and I also never heard any say the quality of the beachtek was better than the signvideo but I did have people say the opposite on occasion. Here's my run down.

Quality is superb - both in sound and solidity of construction. I haven't been able to scientifically test this device at all, but qualitative test have proven it to be excellent. Now the things I didn't like about it.

- It doesn't have a locking pin with the undercamera screw. I was concerned that this might cause the thing to twist under the camera but so far it hasn't done it - then again I have not used it tripod mounted a lot.

- The major problem I found was with the placement of the volume knobs. When you put it under the camera, and then hand hold your GL2, the foot of your palm rests against the knobs. This might cause them to move which you DONT want. There are however a couple of solutions, although I'd prefer to not have to use them as they aren't ideal.
- You can learn to hold the camera with your wrist slightly out. This might sound silly, but I find when I'm shooting handhold I support the front of the camera with my left hand anyway so all I do is let it support it a bit more and my right hand becomes less of an issue.

- You can belt mount the adapter and the problem goes away.

The SignVideo, compared to the beachteks does have one extra mic jack too if you're planning on using two non xlr unbalanced inputs.

Cheers
Aaron