View Full Version : FCP question... Rotating a clip

Sean Vincent
January 2nd, 2008, 06:09 PM
Hi there

I'm editing a feature in Final Cut Pro 5 and there's a clip i want to rotate. I don't mean just flip it, but to have it constantly rotating around it's own axis. I'm guessing this can be done using the motion controls, but i'm struggling with it. Some help would be really appreciated.

Cheers

Sean

Robert Lane
January 2nd, 2008, 06:17 PM
Sean,

Any filter or motion can be applied using keyframes and, you can easily accomplish the rotation you want by setting a beginning and end-point of your rotation using keyframes.

I don't know of any tutorials that I can direct you to about keyframes specifically, but if you look at the online manuals for working with keyframes you'll get the idea pretty quickly.

Paul J Carey
January 3rd, 2008, 07:22 AM
I find Lynda.com to be a great resource. There is a charge to use this website but it full of tutorials listed by software and topic that can be viewed easily and quickly. It's been a great resource for me.

Andy Mees
January 3rd, 2008, 08:37 AM
Sean, double click the clip in the timeline that you want to rotate and it will open in the viewer window. click on the "Motion" tab and you'll see basic motion controls there... try adjusting the "Rotation" control. Is that the effect you're looking for ? If so, experiment with keyframing that control. You might want to consider scaling up the image a little, so that the frame edge is not exposed as it spins. The "Center" control will reposition the spinning image within the canvas, and the "Anchor Point" will set the axis around which the image spins. Cheers Andy

Sean Vincent
January 4th, 2008, 05:49 AM
Thanks for the help.... just got it sorted thanks to your advice.

Sean