View Full Version : Motion Match Move Problem

Ryan Mueller
January 3rd, 2008, 11:04 PM
Hey all,

I am having problems with the match move feature in Motion 3. I am trying to match an object for a mask, but it will not hold. I create the object (circle) and apply a mask to my footage, then I apply the object to the mask. No problem yet.

Then I try to match move the circle (mask stencil) to the video to have the mask follow my talking head, and the mask just disappears. The mask still shows as existing, but it is no longer masking my footage. Has anyone else experienced this? Is there a work-around?

Any Motion experts out there please help!

Neil Rostance
January 4th, 2008, 01:25 PM
The first thing that comes to mind may sound obvious, but make sure your masking on the timeline is the same length as your video, you might have had the playhead in the middle of the timeline when applying the mask, and it could have only assumed you wanted to mask to that frame....so drag it to the end.

Also, if you are working with the motion tracking feature, it does need something prominent to follow, a point of reference that is high contrast, and as far as i know won't track just a head. Say if you put a green piece of paper on your nose when you filmed...then that would have been a good enough tracking reference point. otherwise it's keyframing for you i'm afraid!

check this article out...it's pretty helpful.

http://digitalproducer.digitalmedianet.com/articles/viewarticle.jsp?id=191041

Hope i have been too!

Ryan Mueller
January 4th, 2008, 06:22 PM
Thanks for the link, looks like some useful info.

I am tracking specific points on my talents face. The match move tracks just fine, however the alpha channel in the mask seems to disappear as soon as the match move is applied, before even doing the analysis.

I have figured out a slight workaround by just applying an alpha channel, instead of a mask, on top of the video. Still looking for a confirmation though as to whether or not you are able to apply a match move to a mask shape? It just seems like a big disappointment to not be able to utilize such a feature.

Thanks again,
Ryan