View Full Version : shoot 24 fps Final cut studio

Juan Camara
January 6th, 2008, 05:30 PM
Hello my name is Juan Camara from PR. I will shoot with the sony hvr-v1u to make a instructional dance DVD. I want my final product to be a SD DVD with the higthest quality. I will use Final cut studio 2, I will edit 1080 to downconvert later.
First, i know with this camera you can shoot 24p (the look) or 24pa to get the 24fps timeline.
I already know what will be my final product (sd dvd), which is better to shoot? A) 24p only the look and edit 1080/60i then down convert to SD with compresor to use this movie in dvd studio pro.
or B) shoot 24pa, do the telecine reverse, get the real 24pfs timeline, edit in FCS 2 as 1080/24p and then with compresor try to make this sequence works to a sd dvd. ( i dont know if I can do this) If yes, I am wasting my time?
my final product will be the same or worst,
Please someone help with the workflow

Ryan Mueller
January 6th, 2008, 10:04 PM
Hello Juan,

I would suggest not shooting 24pa for your specified workflow. It is not necessary considering that you will never be going to film with your footage. Please keep in mind that even when you shoot normal 24p, not 24pa, you still should reverse telecine the footage so that you can drop it into a 24fps timeline, and actually when you reverse telecine you should convert the footage to 23.98 fps.

The reason for using 23.98 is because your intentions are to go to DVD and 23.98 is the acceptable frame rate for DVD specifications. If you are planning on working in a 30fps or 29.97 timeline, I would suggest shooting either 30p or 60i as shooting in 24p will not bring you any advantage. You see, the reason behind using 24fps is that it gives a more cinematic feel because it is the frame rate that film cameras shoot at, hence you get a similar amount of motion blur. When working in a 30 fps timeline with 24p footage you loose this cinematic motion blur.

As for the down-conversion of your HD footage, I would probably down-convert prior to foregoing the editing process. It will be less processor intensive and should speed up the editing/rendering processes.

Good Luck,
Ryan

Juan Camara
January 7th, 2008, 02:17 PM
Hello Juan,

I would suggest not shooting 24pa for your specified workflow. It is not necessary considering that you will never be going to film with your footage. Please keep in mind that even when you shoot normal 24p, not 24pa, you still should reverse telecine the footage so that you can drop it into a 24fps timeline, and actually when you reverse telecine you should convert the footage to 23.98 fps.

The reason for using 23.98 is because your intentions are to go to DVD and 23.98 is the acceptable frame rate for DVD specifications. If you are planning on working in a 30fps or 29.97 timeline, I would suggest shooting either 30p or 60i as shooting in 24p will not bring you any advantage. You see, the reason behind using 24fps is that it gives a more cinematic feel because it is the frame rate that film cameras shoot at, hence you get a similar amount of motion blur. When working in a 30 fps timeline with 24p footage you loose this cinematic motion blur.

As for the down-conversion of your HD footage, I would probably down-convert prior to foregoing the editing process. It will be less processor intensive and should speed up the editing/rendering processes.

Good Luck,
Ryan

Thank you , happy New year