View Full Version : Did I make a bad choice

Matthew Pugerude
January 8th, 2008, 12:09 PM
Hello All I have a question about the new Mac Pro Release. I recently got a 2.66 Quad core machine and I am very happy with it but it is just over a month old and they just released a new version. :( So the question is how big of a mistake did I make was it huge or just a miner mistake to buy the now old system.

Now the web site says that my machine is only 1.4 x slower then the new 8 Core Machine. How does this translate to time. There example is encoding HDV.

Victor Kellar
January 8th, 2008, 12:24 PM
Are you happy with your system? Is it doing the job you need it to do? Is it holding you back from finishing projects in an effective way? Is there software that it can't handle?

There are so many variables to these kinds of things you can drive yourself nuts trying to keep up with the newest. Nice thing about the pro Mac puters is their expandability. I've had my trusty 2 Gig G5 for several years now and as my business has changed (like going HDV) I've been able to expand it to meet those needs.

This was my year to buy a new Mac .. not as a replacement but my biz has grown to the point I needed a 2nd machine. And having an Intel machine has benefits for me as I need to run some PC based software. I was going to buy one of the Quad machines and this new release really hasn't changed my mind much. I calculated what I needed and I calculated future needs and the Quad was perfect. Will I consider the new machine? Sure, but it looks like more than I need and more money than I want to spend.

I've never been one for jumping on the bandwagon. Heck, I just recently upgraded my OS on my Mini .. not to Leopard, but to Tiger. No regrets. Its all about what works for you

Michael Claerbout
January 8th, 2008, 12:26 PM
hé Matthew,

More is always better, but beleave me with a quad 2.66 your well on you way.
the results of 1.4 seem believable, cause you get 4 more processors.
But i wouldnt break my head over this for hdv. If your not in to compositing and heavy color correcting, then your setup will be good enought. Just get enough memory installed. with a quad , 4 gigs is a must.

Theodore McNeil
January 8th, 2008, 12:33 PM
I wouldn't show you face in public for a while...

Just kidding. You're fine. Minor mistake. There are a lot of people making good money doing very high end stuff with G5's. I got a friend who edits video for pokernews.com on a year old macbook.

If you waited for the perfect computer or camera to come out you'd get nothing done at all.

Merlin Vandenbossche
January 9th, 2008, 10:33 AM
I'm going through the same mess as you are now, having bought mine about 3 months ago. My first reactions were just plain awe. Certainly given the fact that I actually even paid a bigger price for the quad 2.66 (expanding with way too expensive RAM). It's funny to see how you still paid 1500$ surplus on the base package about a month ago to get 8 cores and now the 'base package' contains just as much but with even better front side bus and cache. That sux. To top it off the new system can have better RAM installed and much better graphic card options. That sux too.

But reading through some of the posts about the new line on this forum I suppose the biggest question to ask yourself is like Victor says: If you're happy with the way your current system handles things and isn't holding you back; you really shouldn't feel any regret. Despite the big differences on price and performance. Now that I got my quad, I can wait another 4-5 years before selling mine, add some money to buy a new model by which time you'll pay that same 2799$ for some 16-core model with 8 GB RAM installed standard and some 1.5 GB videocard and who knows what else? Wouldn't that run great? Thanks for comforting me tho. I finally realize the relativity of all.

Greetz,
Merlin

Dom Stevenson
January 9th, 2008, 12:20 PM
I got my mac pro 266 the week they came out and love it. these machines will be good for a few years yet and i've no plans to upgrade this for at least 3 years.
I bought my XHA1 last year and then Sony bought out the EX a few months later.

Big Deal!

You've got a great computer.

Enjoy it!

Matthew Pugerude
January 9th, 2008, 03:56 PM
Well Everyone thank you for chimming in I do feel good about the the Set-up. I don't think it is holding me back so again thank you and happy editing.

Noel Evans
January 9th, 2008, 10:47 PM
hé Matthew,

More is always better, but beleave me with a quad 2.66 your well on you way.
the results of 1.4 seem believable, cause you get 4 more processors.
But i wouldnt break my head over this for hdv. If your not in to compositing and heavy color correcting, then your setup will be good enought. Just get enough memory installed. with a quad , 4 gigs is a must.

Im using the quad 3 and its not much diff to the 2.66 and its well and truly good enough for compositing and heavy CC. Sorry I cant tell if you meant to or not but I felt your insuation was that it isnt.

My machine has edited just about every HD codec without any stress or fuss (no not redcode :P) But I will get to try that soon.