View Full Version : What Codec to open Quicktime HDV?

Nathan Quattrini
January 12th, 2008, 07:09 PM
I used a Firestore FS-C to record some footage in HDV, its recorded as quicktime, but my Mac says it needs a codec but doesn`t tell me which one. I am trying ot open it in Premiere CS3

Robert Lane
January 13th, 2008, 11:59 AM
Have the moderator move this question to the Premiere forum; it sounds like you're missing a codec for Premiere to see the M2T file created by the Firestore.

Nathan Quattrini
January 13th, 2008, 08:59 PM
Nope. I stated the problem exatly. It is not an M2T. It is a Quicktime HDV file from the firestore which will not play in Quicktime or in Premiere, and its on the Mac, so I figure a Mac should be able to play a Quicktime file.

Robert Lane
January 14th, 2008, 11:25 AM
Unless I misread the information, according to the specs page from Focus, the FS-C creates M2T files in HD mode, not native QT files. It only creates native QT's in SD mode.

This was true of the FS-4 HD models as well when they first released; they only created M2T files in HD mode requiring another application to convert them into QT's.

Call Focus and verify the information; they will know for certain what format is being recorded and what the proper workflow is for that device for FCP or Premiere.

Dylan Pank
January 14th, 2008, 03:02 PM
If it is a quicktime .mov file, you may need the Quicktime MPEG2 component.

You might want to try the Perian (perian.org) component as well as I think that has HDV compatibility, but I might be wrong. Whether this will then work in Premiere I don't know.

Might be some confusion if it's moved to the premiere forum as I think most of the people over there are PC based, and this is a Mac problem rather than a Premiere problem I think.

Fran Dickenson
November 21st, 2008, 12:53 PM
I am having the same problem with a Firestore Quicktime file. Did anyone ever remedy this problem? Thanks!

Aric Mannion
November 21st, 2008, 01:24 PM
Do you have the quicktime mpeg 2 codec? It's $20 from apple, I think you get it automatically if you have a newer version of final cut pro.
It's weird you need it for premier I guess, but that's the answer to your question.

Jason Livingston
November 21st, 2008, 02:57 PM
I used a Firestore FS-C to record some footage in HDV, its recorded as quicktime, but my Mac says it needs a codec but doesn`t tell me which one. I am trying ot open it in Premiere CS3

Nathan,
The Quicktime HDV mode of your Firestore is intended for use with Final Cut Pro only. FCP installs a QT HDV codec on your system but this is not available to Premiere, FCE, iMovie, etc.. You should use .m2t for Premiere.

Steve Oakley
November 21st, 2008, 10:17 PM
1. DO NOT INSTALL THE PERIAN CODECS. it will be hurt, and won't read HDV files, its legacy codecs

2. in order to read QT HDV clips you need the HDV codecs installed via FCS1 or 2

3. you can not copy PPC HDV codec to a intel machine, and vice versa

4. on a machine with FCP 5/6 installed, the codecs are in Mac HD/library/quictime

5. if you install the codecs onto your machine with PP, it will play the files ok via QT.

6. the QT Mpeg2 codec won't help in reading mov HDV files, it only works on mpeg2 files, and m2v/

and as you have found out, PP wants m2t, and FCP wants mov. PP will work with mov if the HDV codecs are installed on the machine.

Andy Mees
November 22nd, 2008, 08:13 AM
>4. on a machine with FCP 5/6 installed, the codecs are in Mac HD/library/quictime
>5. if you install the codecs onto your machine with PP, it will play the files ok via QT.

But of course, that would be illegal Steve!

Seriously, if you want or need Quicktime HDV compatibility on your Mac then you can buy that codec support from Calibrated Software ... its in their XD Decode quicktime component.
Calibrated{Q} XD Decode (http://www.calibratedsoftware.com/XDDecodeQ.html)

Michael Wisniewski
November 22nd, 2008, 11:54 AM
Thanks Andy! That's a good one to know. Any chance you've used this with After Effects?

Andy Mees
November 22nd, 2008, 07:07 PM
Hey Michael
I'll be honest here, I don't have or use the XD Decode for Mac component, but I do use the XD Decode for Windows component on my Carbon Coder PC. Its just a QuickTime component, so any QuickTime based app (or any app that recognizes QuickTime content) will be able to transparently handle QuickTime footage encoded as HDV and XDCAM .... and it works exactly as advertised. I've been very happy with it and am happy to recommend it.
I can't imagine why the Mac component would be any less capable but don't take my word for it ... there is a free demo version for download on the site so you can take it for a spin and see if its a worthwhile addition.
Cheers
Andy

Nathan Quattrini
August 24th, 2009, 01:49 PM
My Mac died, and I'm selling my Firestore. I was wondering if these mov files were openable on the PC as well? I haven't looked into this issue in a long time and have no idea what the clips are anymore. But they take up 12 gigs, so I don`t want to just delete them and move on. I'd like to open them but only have a PC to do it with now. Any ideas? Thanks! Nate