View Full Version : Are 2 screens better than 1(big one)?

Janis Williams
January 13th, 2008, 07:19 AM
Looking at the options for purchase of my Mac Pro monitor(s)

If I get 2x 23inch screens is this as helpful for using Final Cut as one 30inch screen?

Any pros and cons for each of these options?

Mathieu Ghekiere
January 13th, 2008, 08:51 AM
I am interested in this too...
My preference goes to one 30", but I would like to know pro and con of each option. Someone can clarify?

Christopher Witz
January 13th, 2008, 10:45 AM
I really like my 30..... any bigger and I'd have to push it back to keep my neck from wearin out.

2 monitors come in handy when you want your sequence viewer at full res on one, and your pallets and clip viewer on the other.

I use a wacom tablet, and spanning 2 monitors messes up the xy ratio of the tablet and makes things awkward.... so 1 30" is my choice.

I noticed on apple.com that you can build a macpro with 8 30"s..... that's insane!

Victor Kellar
January 13th, 2008, 11:07 AM
At home I'm working with 2 19" flat screen CRT monitors and at the studio we have a 30" Mac display. Both work. In the long run the 30" takes up less desktop space and still gives you lots of "editing real estate". I knew a guy who had four 24" monitors all hooked into a PC based edit system. I seriously asked him what that was all about and he said "My clients think it looks cool" I think one 30" display would be just fine

Robert Lane
January 13th, 2008, 11:34 AM
The major benefit for having 2 screens when doing film/video editing is that you can split up the real-estate and the purpose of the screens.

For example, our main edit suite was (until recently) built around (2) 30" inch ACD's along with the NTSC external (up and behind the 2 ACD's) to view real-time output.

One screen contained the timeline, viewer, canvas, sound mixer and color-correction scopes. The other screen was taken up with multiple browser-bin windows open all at the same time allowing us to see all of our assets quickly. This is really helpful for larger projects where you'll have dozens of elements that you need to find and access quickly without having to scroll down the list in just one browser window.

For example, we had bins for original video content, original stills, VO, SFX, motion backgrounds, still backgrounds, music, etc etc. All these bins had a home in one of the 30" inch displays. It really sped things up to be able to see at a glance what asset was available and even use the "show large icons" to quickly view what it was.

So whether it's (2) 23" inch or (2) 30" inch displays, it is by far much more productive to have more visual real-estate than not.

Theodore McNeil
January 13th, 2008, 11:55 AM
I think it depends on how your organize your NLE's windows. The variations of layouts are to many to list, but I've noticed three extremes of the two monitor set up:

1) An editing monitor and then a media management monitor. One monitor: just bins and filters. The second monitor is timeline, trimmer, audio, preview, video scopes, etc....

2) The timeline stretched out over two monitors and let the other windows line up were they may.

3) One editing monitor and one preview monitor.

If you are closer to the stretch side of things, I imagine a single gigantic monitor would be just as good as a pair. If you like to keep things super organized and separated, like me, the two monitor approach might be more appealing.

It's a matter of taste really.

Janis Williams
January 14th, 2008, 02:16 PM
Theodore, Victor, Robert, Christopher;

Thank-you all for your advice and input.

Very new at this stuff and really trying hard to get a feel for what I am going to need.

Thanks again

Janis

Henrik Reach
January 18th, 2008, 01:26 PM
I much prefer two screens, as it's easier to "divide" stuff by function that way. At least it is for me.

Just bought a new Mac Pro, and never doubted getting two 23" over one 30". Of course, two 30" would be nice.. :)

When doing video i have different things on different screens, instead of just having more space on one screen, and that fits my workflow better. Especially when doing graphic design and other kind of work, but that's not what you were asking I guess.

Andrew Kimery
January 18th, 2008, 01:47 PM
I think it boils down to just personal preference. I already have one 23" ACD and I'm planning on getting a 24" Dell and using it in portrait mode to hold my bins and palettes.

-A

Janis Williams
January 18th, 2008, 02:38 PM
Thanks Henrik and Andrew.

I have already ordered the 30inch monitor so stuck with one for now.

Out of curiosity can you use 2 different size screens together? or do they have to match?

Henrik Reach
January 18th, 2008, 03:20 PM
Thanks Henrik and Andrew.

I have already ordered the 30inch monitor so stuck with one for now.

Out of curiosity can you use 2 different size screens together? or do they have to match?

I now use a 23" and one 20", no problems there. :)

Janis Williams
January 18th, 2008, 03:54 PM
Thanks again Henrik :-)

Maybe when the finances recover I can purchase another :-D

Marco Wagner
January 18th, 2008, 04:09 PM
I use a 20in wide for my primary and then wallmounted a 36" HDTV which is connected to my vid card via component. Anything i do on the timeline, source windows, or capture is displayed full res nice and big on the HD - LOVE IT!!!!

Michael Richard
January 18th, 2008, 04:31 PM
when you run desktop preview you want to be able to see fullscreen footage in a separate monitor.

For color correction with a Matrox MXO, a 23" ACD is mandatory ....if you don't have a high def monitor.

I run with a 24" Dell and a a 23" ACD. Both will run 1920 x 1200 resolution from my Canon XHA1.

Bill Davis
January 19th, 2008, 01:39 AM
Personal opinion, but I'd definately go with a single larger screen over twin smaller ones.

I worked with split monitors before, and HATED having to "drag across" the bezels between them to do stuff.

A 30" monitor at about 18-24" away pretty much commands your entire field of concentration and it's PLENTY big enough for not only the work, but all the palettes and menus you're likely to need.

That's big enough to be "immersive" in most situations. Which is all I think you really need.

YMMV.

Dana Salsbury
January 19th, 2008, 05:46 PM
I like having my timeline span two monitors, since FCP has awkward timeline navigation, it's easier to see everything at once.

A single 30" monitor would not be able to do that as well.

Also, it's easier to look side to side than up and down, so I think it's better ergonomically in the long run.

Bill Davis
January 20th, 2008, 12:37 AM
Dana,

That confuses me.

You can customize FCP into an almost infinite variety of layouts - and nearly everything regarding navigation or menu access has multiple ways to do stuff including beaucoup keyboard shortcuts.

What do you consider "awkward" about FCP's timeline navigation?

(honestly curious)

Petri Kaipiainen
January 20th, 2008, 02:51 AM
For me whatever gets more display area is better, and at the moment two largesh displays are the same price or cheaper than one big one. Having bins and effects on right and monitors, tools & timeline on the left works fine with me.

Dana Salsbury
January 20th, 2008, 08:53 PM
Hey Bill,

I can never find the playhead. There isn't a feature to keep it in the center and have the timeline scroll. It seems awkward to constantly have to center it. When I had just one monitor it kept running off the screen.

Michael Wisniewski
January 21st, 2008, 01:52 AM
I prefer having two monitors, with one above the other. And a video monitor off to the side.

Jerrod Cordell
January 21st, 2008, 02:20 AM
I've never used two monitors before, but I edited something one time at the Apple store and used their Mac Pro with the 30" Cinema Display...Oooooh man was it beautiful. Those were the best 3 hours I've ever spent at an Apple Store. lol.

So good choice with the 30". You don't exactly realize how big it is until you see it up close. It takes you an hour to move the mouse across the screen. lol.