View Full Version : Hello from a Mac newbie

Alfred Diaz
January 14th, 2008, 03:04 PM
Just got my 17" MBP 2.6ghz, 200 GB @ 7200rpm and Hi-Res Matt screen (upgraded the ram myself to 4 GB).

And I just got a new and legal Final Cut Studio 2 with FCP6 (which took a long time to install).

So I am ready to go. Just need to get out there and start a new project.

Side note: If you know of the best legit deal for Apple Care, please respond.

Right now I am leaning toward buying it direct from apple because it isn't that much more.

Thanks.

Al Diaz
www.advideoproductions.com

Robert Lane
January 14th, 2008, 06:14 PM
So your question is where to purchase Apple Care? I'm sure authorized Apple reseller offer the APP contracts but not sure if they discount or not.

As long as you're buying from an authorized Apple dealer then there isn't an issue.

Note that there are 3 types of "Apple Care":

1. AppleCare Protection - this just adds 2 more years to the standard hardware warranty.

2. ProCare - this gives you priority customer service handling when it comes to getting service done on your system. This can only be purchased at Apple Retail Store.

3. Apple Pro Tech Support - a 1-year contract for telephone support for the pro apps such as Final Cut Studio. Costs around $700 per year.

Neal Slimick
January 15th, 2008, 08:20 AM
Apple has always been extremely strict about their pricing. Across the board you'll see about the same pricing for all Apple products. If you run across a "deal" it's more than likely a refurb or used item. There are WAY too many shady online retailers out there pushing this stuff in new boxes. I've been bit a few times ordering product for clients that just HAD to have the cheapest.

As for Apple Care, I would get it. A new computer is a big investment. With one accident or problem it already paid for itself.

Robert Lane
January 15th, 2008, 09:52 AM
... With one accident or problem it already paid for itself.

Just want to make sure you understand what you're purchasing: None of the the AppleCare products is *insurance*, it's either for tech support or hardware warranty.

If you have an "accident" of any kind where you damage your equipment either physically or in software, Apple doesn't cover those losses, for that you'd need to either put your equipment under your home-owners insurance rider or, get commercial insurance to cover any losses due to accidental damages.

Neal Slimick
January 15th, 2008, 11:17 AM
Sorry. Robert is right. Accident is not the right word. So testing the buoyancy of the Macbook Pro might not go over so well if you try to call in and get a new one.

Alfred Diaz
January 15th, 2008, 09:53 PM
Sounds like good advice. I don't think I can afford the Apple Pro Tech Support. But I am deffinately buying the extension for a full 3 years of coverage.

Though insurance would be great. Have to check my homeowners policy.

Thanks.

Greg Boston
January 16th, 2008, 12:05 AM
Sounds like good advice. I don't think I can afford the Apple Pro Tech Support. But I am deffinately buying the extension for a full 3 years of coverage.

Mine just paid for itself a few months ago when my iMac logic board bit the dust. Local Apple store replaced it in one day's time. This was on a 2 1/2 year old system.

-gb-

Jonathan Jones
January 16th, 2008, 12:57 AM
Mine just paid for itself a few months ago when my iMac logic board bit the dust. Local Apple store replaced it in one day's time. This was on a 2 1/2 year old system.

-gb-

Yeah, over the past 15 years, I've had at least 4 logicboard fatalities on my Macs, 3 of which were portables, and 2 under AppleCare. The AppleCare (although more expensive on the portables) saved me a load of cash in repairs.) The local Apple Store once went the extra mile for me as the logic board fried just as I was about to begin editing a project on a severe deadline. The had to send my unit out to the repair depot, but before they did, they cloned my drive onto a free loaner Powerbook (brand spankin' new) and let me work on that without skipping a beat until my repaired Powerbook was returned 4 days later. Then, they cloned again to update my older Powerbook and I was good to go. Granted, this is not typical of their usual Apple Care service, but I really appreciated it. (I've given Apple a lot of my money over the years.)

Apple Care is a good thing to have on a new Mac, but pretty much a necessity on a portable.

-Jon