View Full Version : firestore files coming into FCP stereo and can't separate them

Phil Bloom
January 14th, 2008, 05:31 PM
For some reason when i bring them into final cut pro the audio is stereo instead of split mono and I can't pull them apart. Is there some reason for this?

Can i fix it?

am recording on a dsr 450

Phil Bloom
January 14th, 2008, 05:32 PM
sorry double post

Robert Lane
January 14th, 2008, 06:08 PM
It's all in your capture presets - you can select either stereo pair or dual-mono. Check your capture/import preferences first.

If you're simply tranferring QT files then the Firestore has most likely recorded them as a stereo pair. Barry Green is the Firestore expert, he can help you with this much more than I.

Phil Bloom
January 14th, 2008, 06:11 PM
i'm not capturing, the firestore does that and I am just dragging the files into FCP

Robert Lane
January 14th, 2008, 06:16 PM
Then the FS is recording as a stereo pair. I'm not a FS user so I can't help with any setting changes but I'd imagine the manual talks about any options you may have for audio capture presets.

William Hohauser
January 14th, 2008, 07:58 PM
i'm not capturing, the firestore does that and I am just dragging the files into FCP

Highlight the audio file part of the clip on the timeline and press "option" "L". Split files! You might have to check the pan and change it to mono.

I not sure if the FireStore is capable of recording split audio files even though I have one.

Phil Bloom
January 15th, 2008, 01:31 AM
they seem to be coming in mixed which is the problem

Robert Lane
January 15th, 2008, 09:55 AM
Outside of a tech support call to Focus, it sounds like you'd need to import the audio into an application like Peak, Deck or maybe even Soundtrack Pro and change the file to dual-mono and then re-import it into FCP.

Or, how about connecting the drive and actually capturing it, just as you would with tape. At least that way you could force the audio to be dual-mono on import rather than just transferring files and dealing with the pre-formatted issue.

Try contacting Focus directly and see what they say.

William Hohauser
January 15th, 2008, 03:48 PM
they seem to be coming in mixed which is the problem

That should not happen by any stretch of the imagination. Can you split the audio tracks and check them out individually? If the tracks are mixed then, this is a result of camera settings not the FireStore or FCP.

Phil Bloom
January 15th, 2008, 04:22 PM
They aren't mixed. the only way I can separate them is individually within quicktime. Is there a way in Final cut pro?

I would never capture real time through firestore makes the point of having one a bit...pointless!

William Hohauser
January 16th, 2008, 01:17 PM
They aren't mixed. the only way I can separate them is individually within quicktime. Is there a way in Final cut pro?

Please refer to post #6 in this thread.

Phil Bloom
January 16th, 2008, 02:30 PM
That doesn't work. If you put them on the timeline they come out mixed! I need to separate them in the bin. I can do it in quicktime but not within FCP.

I have put a support request in but nobody has got back to me yet.

William Hohauser
January 16th, 2008, 06:47 PM
First play the problem clip on the timeline while shutting off audio 1 or 2. Do you get the track separation you want?

If you do then it's time to unlink the audio. That is easily done by highlighting the clip on the timeline and pressing "option L". A quartet of pinkish arrows under the clip name will disappear. You now can double click on the clip and the viewer will give you two tabs for the clip's audio instead of one. At this point you might find it helpful to see if the pan is set to "-1" on audio 1 and "1" with audio 2. You might want to play with the pan if these are vocal tracks.

Do you want to get rid of one track entirely? Press "shift L" (this deactivates "Linked Selection" on the timeline) and click on the unlinked audio track you don't want. Once it's highlighted just delete. You can reactive "Linked Selection" at this point.

Mike Flynn
January 16th, 2008, 07:57 PM
I have recorded non-mixed audio on the Firestore many times. Your problem lies in either unlinking the audio or making them a non-stereo pair in Final Cut and playing with the pan. You can do this while it is in the timeline. If they are still mixed, then they had to have been mixed in the camera.