View Full Version : Does FCP 6 support M2T files?

Nick Weeks
January 14th, 2008, 08:54 PM
I can't seem to find much information on this, but I need to be able to import m2t files into a FCP project directly from a Firestore without having to use MPEG StreamClip or similar. Does FCP 6 support this?

It's on a JVC HD250 with a FS-100 HD recorder, set to record 720p60 as M2T. Right now it works great taking the m2t files and converting them to QuickTime using Apple Intermediate Codec.

Thanks

Steve Oakley
January 15th, 2008, 12:15 AM
no. fcp wants nothing to do with raw m2t files. the QT version not just wraps the m2t files, but also provides and index file internal to the QT

Chris Harris
January 15th, 2008, 12:22 AM
Is there ever going to be some type of conversion that doesn't require a re-encode?

Brad Bonczkiewicz
March 26th, 2008, 03:23 PM
I'm a PC Adobe Premiere user seriously considering moving to a Mac and Final Cut. The Apple Final Cut Studio 2 Tech Specs Web page says:
Final Cut Pro 6 supports "native long GOP MPEG-2 editing for HDV, including 1080i 50/60, 1080p 24/25/30, 720p 24/25/30/50/60." I understand that QuickTime 7 MOV files use the H.264/MPEG-4 AVC codec which is different than MPEG-2.

I would think that means Final Cut can open/edit with m2t files. This could be a deal breaker for me since my workflow involves HDV m2t files from Firestore FS-4 DTE. Can someone confirm that the latest FCP6 can neither open nor edit native standard m2t files?

See http://www.apple.com/finalcutstudio/finalcutpro/specs.html for more info.

Thanks!

Steve Oakley
March 26th, 2008, 03:34 PM
when working with a firestore ( a Pure Evil™ product ) you set it to write QT formatted HDV file. the FS will format appropriate QT clips. fcp wants nothing to do with raw mt2 files captured in Prem Pro, at least ones from a PC and it seems also the FS, but as I said, just record to QT format and its ok. QT is a CONTAINER, not a codec. it holds many codecs including mpeg2, h.264/AVC and many others.

Nate Weaver
March 26th, 2008, 04:24 PM
Can someone confirm that the latest FCP6 can neither open nor edit native standard m2t files?

Yes. Steve confirmed it above.

FCP rewraps MPEG2 streams to a Quicktime container as it comes in off the firewire.

Tim Dashwood
March 26th, 2008, 05:53 PM
If someone would just write a simple m2t to QT HDV encapsulator (much like what Focus Enhancements did with the onboard software for the DR-HD100) then we'd even be able to use m2t media from Sony's new CF card recorder (that ships with Z7/Z270.)

At the moment the only real solution is to re-encode m2t into a quicktime format (your choice of codec) with MpegStreamclip or HDVxDV. MpegStreamclip has grown leaps and bounds and really is the best product. Keep in mind a re-encode takes time.

Loren Simons
March 29th, 2008, 07:22 PM
there is a system that sony has, its a plug in, it lets final cut pro 6.0.2 support m2t file types

"This Installer guides you through the steps necessary to install the
software required to use a Sony Recording Unit with Final Cut Pro. To get started, click Continue."
thats what the installer reads! Ill try and find the link, but its a very small file that i think i would be able to email to people if they would liek to try it, since i myself haven't. emails lorensimons@mac.com its 636 kbs

Tim Dashwood
March 29th, 2008, 08:39 PM
there is a system that sony has, its a plug in, it lets final cut pro 6.0.2 support m2t file types

"This Installer guides you through the steps necessary to install the
software required to use a Sony Recording Unit with Final Cut Pro. To get started, click Continue."
thats what the installer reads! Ill try and find the link, but its a very small file that i think i would be able to email to people if they would liek to try it, since i myself haven't. emails lorensimons@mac.com its 636 kbs

It is interesting you mention this because I was looking at the Z7 specs the other day and thinking "how is Sony going to appease the FCP users with the CF recording unit?"

I wonder if their plugin will work with 720P files as well? (assuming the HVR-DR60 supports 720P met recording.)
It appears that this plug-in converts the m2t to ProRes422 Quicktime. Am I right? If so, then it is basically doing what MpegStreamclip can do, but it must maintain TC.

No need to email anyone the plug-in. I found the link.
http://www.sony.co.uk/biz/view/ShowContent.action?product=HVR-1500&site=biz_en_GB&category=HDVVTRs&contentId=1205247708665&sectiontype=Product&preserveContext=true

Steve Oakley
March 30th, 2008, 03:46 PM
sony cameras are recording MXF, not m2t. inside the MXF wrapper its some flavor of mpeg2, but you don't have access to that raw data. even so, sony's plugin is actually a stand alone importer app, and just because their codec reads their files, I would not expect it reads anything except their files. not in their interest to do so.

EX1 software is here

http://bssc.sel.sony.com/BroadcastandBusiness/markets/10014/xdcamEXdownloads.shtml