View Full Version : FCP 5.0 officially not supported for Intel Imacs?

Josh Bass
January 15th, 2008, 01:58 PM
Hi. I saw this mentioned in another thread, and wanted to verify it's. . .veracity before I proceed.

So, apparently, FCP 5 is not supported for the Intel Imacs, and you have to have either 5.1 or 6.0? Is this right? I read about the out of sync audio issue when capturing, which I'm currently wrestling with, but I can't find anything definitive by googling.

The program obviously runs, just not 100% correctly.

Jeremy Doyle
January 15th, 2008, 03:06 PM
5.1 was the first universal binary of FCP therefore the first version supported by intel macs.

Apple does not support pro apps running under rosetta.

Josh Bass
January 15th, 2008, 03:57 PM
That's what I feared. I didn't even think of that when getting it. Oh well.

Explain Rosetta? Is that something the Imac uses that the Mac Pro doesn't?

I guess until I upgrade I can capture with Vegas and import the AVIs into FCP. I know it's ghetto, and FCP doesn't "like it" but whatever. It'll work.

Dino Leone
January 15th, 2008, 04:52 PM
Explain Rosetta? Is that something the Imac uses that the Mac Pro doesn't?

It's part of the operating system that translates old powerpc code into intel code. Basically the part in the OS that allows you to run any software be in powerpc or intel without noticing. With a few exceptions like Pro Apps (FCP and I believe LogicPro).
All new Intel-based Macs use Rosetta when encountering PPC code (imacs, mac pros etc.... all of them).
Isn't the 5.1 update a free update?
Best,
Dino

Josh Bass
January 15th, 2008, 05:10 PM
I don't think so. They're selling a FCS1 suite that's version 5.1, in addition to a SEPARATE version of the same software that's 5.0. Furthermore, I thought the same thing, and went to the Apple site looking for updates, and the most recent update I can download with my SN is 5.0.4 or something.

Like I said, it works, just not as well as it's supposed to. I'll treat myself to FCS2 for my birthday (it's only a month away. . .I'll send you all gift requests via email).

Greg Boston
January 15th, 2008, 11:50 PM
Isn't the 5.1 update a free update?

Nope, it was a $49 update available for several months whereby you had to send in your original discs. That offer has since expired.

-gb-

Josh Bass
January 16th, 2008, 12:47 AM
I figured. Although some places are still selling the full 5.1 suite for $1300!

David W. Jones
January 16th, 2008, 07:59 AM
I'll treat myself to FCS2 for my birthday (it's only a month away. . .I'll send you all gift requests via email).

If you are in the business of doing video work, there is no good reason to not keep your computer apps up to date.
And write it off as a business expense at tax time.

Josh Bass
January 16th, 2008, 03:30 PM
It's not enough of a concern to merit immediate action.