View Full Version : Problem with XM2/GL2

Jurgen Geevels
January 17th, 2008, 02:13 PM
hello everyone,

I recently bought a xm2, i am happy with it, but the first problem is allready showing up, a pretty crucial one too.
I just cannot connect it to my pc, well I can but nothing happens, I tried everything, other firewire cable, and all the buttons on the camcorder..
i got the problem with adobe premiere and even windows moviemaker (to test it).., nothing seems to happen (win vista) and other stuff works on the firewire port.

I am allready afraid that my firewire is broken or something :(

and my last question is: i bought a new battery aswell, but there is a difference with the normal one, the one i bought is 7.4 volt and the normal one is 7.2 (its a BP941/945 battery), now I read about the fact that a battery can be a few 0.1 volts higher without causing damage. but is it true, I only dared to use it for a short time :).

help is very much appreciated, thanks in advance :)

David L. Holmes
January 17th, 2008, 02:41 PM
Greetings Jurgen,

You may want to try a different computer before believing that your camera is damaged. As for the battery, I have been running a 7.4V battery pack for over 2 years now and I have never had any problems. They do recommend that you should not plug or unplug your Firewire cable into your camera with the camera turned on or else you may blow the Firewire output. Lastly, if it is your camera then you would be better off buying a small miniDV camcorder for around 150 euro and use that for transferring video to your computer (it's cheaper then getting your XM2 repaired).

Good luck!

Jurgen Geevels
January 17th, 2008, 03:32 PM
thanks for the reply David :)

I tried it on an other pc (windows xp) and he seems to find it, so I guess there is a driver problem with my pc (i'll blame vista).
and I am glad to hear that its save to use the 7.4 battery aswell!

I'll try to find some kind of drivers or maybe install xp again

Don Palomaki
January 18th, 2008, 08:33 AM
On batteries, voltage rating on the nameplate is nominal and will range over perhaps a volt or more between full charge and 10% charge remaining. As long as the battery maker lists it as a substitute for your camcorder, you should be ok.

Jurgen Geevels
January 18th, 2008, 03:26 PM
I finally got it to work by getting myself a four pin firewire card, pretty weird