View Full Version : Viewfinder Cleaning Methods?

David Woodland
June 26th, 2003, 11:49 PM
Hello once again bored, I've got a quick question. I've had my gl2 for a month now and I make sure I take special care of it since I got it as a high school graduation present (and because its a lot of money for a camera). Anyway, I have noticed there are a few pieces of dust particles or something similar under the magnifier in the viewfinder. I can clean the main piece to the viewfinder with no problem but what do you suggest I use to get up to the magnifier part? If you know, please respond. I'd appreciate it.

Graham Bernard
June 27th, 2003, 12:52 AM
if this is where I think you mean: Pull out viewfinder; rock it upwards - as you would if you were putting in a battery; notice the tiny hatch under the viewfinder? there's an even smaller clip holding this hatch in place; unclip DON'T LOOSE HATCH and you now have access to the "hidden" chamber of horrors - yeah? I just dry my moth - NO SPIT - and gently blow. Others will suggest no linty type wipeout buds - yeah?

Grazie

Graham Bernard
June 27th, 2003, 12:55 AM
Did you get a manual with this "present"? If not, then download it. Much to read and bore your frienmds with too! - It's got the Chamber of Horrors Cleansing Dept. feature described in it.

Grazie

Ken Tanaka
June 27th, 2003, 01:04 AM
The "horror"story for the GL2 is on page 140 of the English manual. Eeek! Contrary to the manual's instruction, I don't recommend using a cotton swab. You could end up with a bigger lint problem. Use some sort of a lint-free swab such as those you can get at Radio Shack or other electronics shops.

Graham Bernard
June 27th, 2003, 01:12 AM
Yes Ken! - I too read the instructions and didn't like AT ALL the idea of "poking" something in there NO NO NO!

Grazie

Ken Tanaka
June 27th, 2003, 01:48 AM
Uses for Cotton Swabs

Ear canal: Yes, but carefully.
Navel: Only if your ice cream drips in.
Nostril: Well, only if there's big game in there.

LCD access hatches: "NO, NO, NO"

David Woodland
June 27th, 2003, 09:41 AM
Ok, I'm not talking about the viewfinder screen. I'm talking about the magnifiying piece that sits above it. I can't find anything to reach up in there to clean it out. Cleaning the viewfinder is no problem. Just take the little clip off, clean it gently, then put it back on. I just can't clean the part that enlarges the screen so that you can read it.

Scott Silverman
June 29th, 2003, 12:27 AM
There are two screws on the bottom. If you take those out, it will come apart for cleaning. Just be careful, seems to work fine.

Adam Kampia
May 16th, 2005, 06:21 AM
Sorry to resurrect this thread, but I recently purchased my second GL2--used. The camera is in great shape except that magnifying glass in the viewfinder is filthy. I went into the "chamber of horrors", and even unscrewed the bottom of the viewfinder and got in there with a cleaning swab. No dice. I swear the magnifier must be two panes of glass and there is dust in-between.

Can anybody confirm this possibility? Is that as hopeless as it sounds?