View Full Version : NLE Textbook Recommendation?

Jeremiah Rickert
February 15th, 2008, 04:44 PM
Is there a text book that talks about the principles of Non-linear editing without getting specific with a certain brand of software?

It would be a drag to have to explain six different ways to do a cross-fade, for example, hehe.

JR

Chris Hurd
February 15th, 2008, 04:56 PM
Moved from Open DV to Read About It.

I have Robert Goodman's "Editing Digital Video" and can recommend it as a good text about editing principles which is not tied to any NLE platform in particular. Available through our Amazon Store here:

http://astore.amazon.com/din0a-20/detail/0071406352/104-4722088-7151139

Richard Alvarez
February 15th, 2008, 05:55 PM
TRANSITIONS: The Art of Digital Editing

Jeremiah Rickert
February 16th, 2008, 03:20 AM
Thanks...I ordered a copy of the Goodman/McGrath book.

JR

Jad Meouchy
April 24th, 2008, 05:01 PM
Walter Murch's book, the name escapes me.

It's not a textbook and it has rants and raves, but there is definitely some gold in it.

Lisa Shofner
April 24th, 2008, 05:11 PM
I have Robert Goodman's "Editing Digital Video" and can recommend it as a good text about editing principles which is not tied to any NLE platform in particular.

+1 A great book, I went through it in a weekend and it gave me all the basics.

Agree with another poster about Transitions, it is a great read - though not a textbook (no exercises, etc).

Jeremiah Rickert
April 25th, 2008, 01:18 AM
I think it's called "The Blink of an Eye"

And it's pretty decent, but a little more "philosophical" to be used as a textbook.

JR

Brian Keith Moody
April 27th, 2008, 06:57 PM
Seems to me you just want a good book on editing in general. Does anyone do linear editing anymore? I used to do linear editing back in the day (circa ’85) on the Sony RM-440. Looking back, what a pain in the butt that was. Thank God for Final Cut Pro and the like.