View Full Version : XDCAM Proposal Tomorrow

Mitchell Skurnik
February 21st, 2008, 10:47 PM
Tomorrow afternoon I will be presenting a proposal to purchase a XDCAM HD PDW-F355L and supporting equipment. Now the people that I am presenting to know little or nothing about broadcast cameras. Basically I am going to start the presentation with a Power Point of what the company needs in a video camera. I will also explain the different types of recording medium and their pros/cons. Then I have broken it down into why the XDCAM benefits the company such as Archiving / Storage, Time Savings, Durability / Life Expectancy, Cost / Money Savings, and I'll talk about how it is an industry standard format.

Then to sum it up I have a price break down of all of the components in the Kit nad I show how it will pay for itself in just a few years.

Do you have any other suggestions to proposing the camera to people that know nothing about cameras?

Paul Gale
February 22nd, 2008, 02:19 AM
What kind of footage are you going to shoot? That could have a bearing on the presentation.

I'd try to keep it pretty simple - a non technical audience could be baffled fairly quickly.

Maybe wow them with some sample video work as close as you can get to the type of work you'll be doing (interviews, case studies etc?). Of course you'd need to find some first! Oh, and what's your experience as a cameraman/video professional?

I did something similar many years ago when we were looking to build a video studio in a company I used to work for before starting my own company.

Paul.

Mitchell Skurnik
February 22nd, 2008, 02:22 AM
I'll be doing interviews/testimonials, medical procedures, training videos, recording lectures, "creative" work for corporate videos, and recording board meetings to name a few.

Paul Gale
February 22nd, 2008, 02:27 AM
Is any of that critical time wise i.e. will you have plenty of time to edit or will some be needed in a rush? Good selling point for the faster XDCAM workflow.

I'd still show them some sample footage, especially if they're not used to seeing anything like this (unless you're already using a different camera - you didn't mention in your first post).

Mitchell Skurnik
February 22nd, 2008, 02:45 AM
It is always time critical. I am really going to stress the use of proxy data. It sucks having to dititize 3 hours of internal footage and 3 hours of external from DV tape then coverting that to a wmv for them to review on their computer. There goes an entire day of productivity :(.

Thanks for wishing me luck!

Ivan Snoeckx
February 22nd, 2008, 07:27 AM
Maybe you can show them this presentation?

http://assets.sonybiz.net/Flash/XDCAM/main.html

Greetings and good luck!

Paul Gale
February 23rd, 2008, 06:31 AM
So how did it go?

Mitchell Skurnik
February 23rd, 2008, 12:09 PM
My boss didn't come to work on Friday so my supervisor had to postpone till Tuesday.

Jeremy Doyle
February 26th, 2008, 03:43 PM
So how'd it go?

Mitchell Skurnik
March 1st, 2008, 12:48 AM
Went very well. I should have an answer in a week or so.