View Full Version : Gl-h1

Nick Royer
March 10th, 2008, 11:23 PM
What do you think the possibilities are of a replacement for the GL2 at NAB08? The XH-A1/G1 isn't really a replacement for the GL2 because it is more expensive and a different body design.

I would like to see a GL-H1 soon. Hopefully in the black-and-red scheme and with 3 1/3"CMOS sensors. It would also be nice if Canon could include an XLR port with phantom power.

I think that we will also see the release of the XH-A2/G2 which will add interchangeable lenses, opening a space for the GL-H1.

Any thoughts?

Chris Hurd
March 10th, 2008, 11:36 PM
The XH-A1/G1 isn't really a replacement for the GL2 because it is more expensive and a different body design.It's more expensive because it's HD. And it is a similar body design (but bigger to accomodate XLR jacks, and larger CCDs and a larger lens than the GL2, which are necessary for HD).

I would like to see a GL-H1 soon. Hopefully in the black-and-red scheme and with 3 1/3"CMOS sensors. It would also be nice if Canon could include an XLR port with phantom power.Except for CMOS, you've just described the XH A1.

I think that we will also see the release of the XH-A2/G2 which will add interchangeable lenses...Already done. That's the XL H1.

Nick Royer
March 10th, 2008, 11:49 PM
The XL-H1 is about 6,000 more expensive than the XH-A1. They both use 1/3" chips, so why not make put interchangeable lenses on the A2 and G2 to compete with the new Sony models?

The point of having a Gl-H1 is to have basically a watered-down XH-A1 in a smaller package. this could be really useful as a travel camera with professional features in a small package.

3 1/3"CMOS is unlikely, maybe 3 1/4" or 1 1/2". And maybe just one XLR instead of two. And 24P is a given if they do make it.

After six years the GL2 is still on the market for a reason...it sells. And I think a replacement is definitely coming. If the Xh-A1 was supposed to be a replacement for the GL2, then the product name would have started with "GL", just like the XL-h1.

Jack Jenkins
March 19th, 2008, 10:29 AM
I can see your point, as an owner of a GL1, and now an XH-A1, I love them both but they are very different animals, not only in specs but in over-all beefiness, the GL1 and 2 were both fairly inconspicuous in size, the XH-A1 is like twice the size and very conspicuous.

I do love my GL-1's form factor, and the great image that came out of that cam. I disagree that it has to be bigger cuz its HD, yes the CCDs are larger but we are talking about the difference between a quarter of an inch an a third of an inch, and look at the JVC's or panasonic's tiny 3 CCD HD camcorders or the HV20 for that matter. In fact I can see the same specs for the new HV30 just in a GL style body and maybe 3 ccds instead of one.

Yes, I feel like Canon will probably make an in-between the HV30 and the XH-A1 and it does seem very appropriate to call that cam the GL3.

As far as the specs are concerned:

1. I seriously doubt it will have a removeable lens -way super cool if it does though

2. I bet it will have a hard-drive or memory instead of tape transport

3. As far as CMOS ccds, yes, but most likely smaller than the ccds in the XH-A1/H1

4. 24p/30p etc.

5. It will be white.

6. No XLR

Evan C. King
March 22nd, 2008, 07:49 PM
What I'd like canon to do and what'd make more sense to me is to take the hv30 put it's guts in a gl2 sized form factor, make it black, give it all the manual controls of a gl2 (yes I know this means no xlr) and do it for $2000.

Chris Hurd
March 22nd, 2008, 10:38 PM
I disagree that it has to be bigger cuz its HD, yes the CCDs are larger but we are talking about the difference between a quarter of an inch an a third of an inch...You have to understand that the slightest change in chip size means a big change in the size of the front objective. That's why the GL2 is 58mm and the XH A1 is 72mm. Which means the body itself must also be larger. So yes chip size directly affects camera size.

The small three-chip camcorders are using *very small* sensors. And the HV20/30 is a single chip camcorder.

Chris Hurd
March 22nd, 2008, 10:43 PM
...maybe just one XLR instead of two. One XLR jack means one channel of sound. Monophonic. Not likely to happen.