View Full Version : lens cap waving in the breeze

Bud Kuenzli
July 7th, 2003, 03:47 PM
ok...it's a little annoyance and maybe you have found a simple solution to a simple problem. Simpy put, I often find myself shooting outdoors when I hear the chatter of the lens cap on my tripod. I then wrap it around the hand-strap to keep it from banging away but I can't always do that right away. What do you all do to keep your lens cap from swinging around freely when you are shooting?

K. Forman
July 7th, 2003, 03:49 PM
I wear baggy pants with large pockets. The cap goes into a pocket, along with a couple of batteries. When the shooting is either paused or done, I put it back on.

Alex Knappenberger
July 7th, 2003, 04:02 PM
Simple solution - take it off. Infact, I lost the lenscap on my camera, I have UV filter on there that I just leave on all the time, and it's pretty much a 24/7 lens cap.

Graham Bernard
July 7th, 2003, 04:12 PM
Ahhhhh... NOW this is what I've been waiting for! - Forget about yer Presets and Mics and balanced sound solutions . .. Sit up and be amazed!

THE SOLUTION: You will see on the reverse side of the lens cap, a clippy type hook thing. Just slot this over the first "loop" of the hand strap. Mind boggling - eh? See, mine of techie info here!!!

Now, .. . . how do I combine my MA300 and VL-3 light together? - Didn't get that design right Canon - DID yer!

Grazie

Craig Peer
July 7th, 2003, 04:16 PM
I glue a piece of velcro on my lens caps, with the corresponding piece on the hand strap. Faster and easier than the clip on the lens cap.

Graham Bernard
July 7th, 2003, 04:30 PM
Yeah, yeah...yeah! Okay - but that would mean I've gotta buy Velcro system - I've gotta find the scissors - find some glue; cut the Velcro . . apply the glue AND stick it onto the cammy? - Phew, I'm tired just thinking about it . . .

. . . . Grazie

Ben Lynn
July 7th, 2003, 04:50 PM
Take it off and just use a clear filter or uv filter all the time. It's just a hassle anyway.

Ben Lynn

Rob Wilson
July 7th, 2003, 05:53 PM
Since I rarely use the on camera mic, I covered it with a cheap-o radio shack foam wind screen. Used a tie-wrap to attach it and it leaves just enough room between it an the lens shade that it holds the cap perfectly. Just slips in and out when needed.

Jesper Hallen
July 8th, 2003, 06:37 AM
Gôtt!!!! (as we say in my city)... yes you can put the lens cap at the hand strap at teh XM2.. thanks!!!!

Glen Elliott
July 8th, 2003, 07:50 AM
Graham is right. There's no need for anything complicated, as the back of the GL-1/GL-2 lense cap has a tab (kinda like the cap of a pen) to slide into the loop in the handstrap.

Graham Bernard
July 8th, 2003, 08:50 AM
Jesper & Glen - Neat eh?

Grazie

Glen Elliott
July 8th, 2003, 10:14 AM
Say are you the same Grazie from the SoFo forums?

Graham Bernard
July 8th, 2003, 10:18 AM
Gadzooks! - Been rumbled!!!

Yup . . .

. . .. * * * * VEGAS + XM2 THE Winning Combo! * * *

Grazie

. . . now, where did I put my Groucho Marx disguise

Jesper Hallen
July 8th, 2003, 10:34 AM
what?=)

Ryan Krga
July 8th, 2003, 12:01 PM
You can't always have a UV filter on the camera. What if you have a bayonet lens? You will have to take the UV filter off, put the bayonet lens on, take the lens off, then put the filter back on. Some people don't have that time to make the switch.

Nigel Moore
July 8th, 2003, 12:41 PM
Not only that, but although UV filters can be cheap, if they're scratched you'll notice it on the video. I would not use my filter as my only protection when the cam's not being used.

K. Forman
July 8th, 2003, 01:32 PM
I was about to bring that up, Nigel, but you beat me to the punch. However, please allow me to take it one step further- What if your filter is scratched, and you don't find out till you are looking at the footage?

Craig Peer
July 8th, 2003, 04:10 PM
" Phew, I'm tired just thinking about it " - if self adhesive velcro is that hard for you, I suggest you don't videotape what I do ( climbing videos ). The one advantage to velcro is rather than have to try and get that plastic doohicky over the strap ( which sometimes doesn't cooperate ), you just stick the cap to the velcro - faster by far. But to each his own!!

Graham Bernard
July 8th, 2003, 11:45 PM
Actually, Craig, I think it is rather a neat idea. If I had the "balls" for heights I'm sure I'd enjoy scaling some tall crag.

Now where did I put my cumfy slippers?

Grazie