View Full Version : New Member - (Video Inside)

Robinson Chan
April 8th, 2008, 09:34 PM
Hey Everyone,

I'm new to the forum and just wanted to say hello. I recently bought a GL2 about a month ago and filmed a music video for my class. I just wanted to show it to people. Maybe get some feedback. I am completely new to the GL2 trying to get to know the machine inside, so far I like it!

Heres the video:

http://profile.imeem.com/2tVUcax/video/zpgVKkKw/dain_next_sht_music_video/

So yeah, I'll definitely be around the forum so you'll see me here and there with questions I'm sure. Again, I'm open to any feedback or criticism. I hope you like the song (www.myspace.com/thrillamusicgroup). I'm also looking for must haves for the GL2. I'm probably going to search around the site - so far I've gotten 2 extra batteries and I ordered a Canon WD-58H. I'm probably going to get a DM-50 Microphone adaptor as well. I don't think I will be doing anything too intense with this camera. Music videos, mini-documentaries, etc.

Thanks!

Robinson (Binny for short =])

David L. Holmes
April 8th, 2008, 09:58 PM
Damn Binny!

Cool video! Liked what you did with the color at the end. Living in the big D (that's the 3-1-3) I like to see what other people can do with music videos. Because it was an audio overlay, I'm not sure how much your DM-50 will help with music videos, but definitely for interviews and such. What program are you using for editing? Really good-looking edits, very smooth transitions. Keep up the good work!

Dave

Robinson Chan
April 8th, 2008, 11:02 PM
Damn Binny!

Cool video! Liked what you did with the color at the end. Living in the big D (that's the 3-1-3) I like to see what other people can do with music videos. Because it was an audio overlay, I'm not sure how much your DM-50 will help with music videos, but definitely for interviews and such. What program are you using for editing? Really good-looking edits, very smooth transitions. Keep up the good work!

Dave

Thanks David! I used Final Cut Express and a little LiveType. For second part of the song with the color change I doubled up the footage, and desaturated the color on the top layer so it was black and white, then I color keyed some colors to bleed in.

Yeah I was probably going to use the DM-50 for interviews and such, I really want to tap into documentaries. I appreciate the comments, this is the first time I've touched FCE since high school, and everything is still very new to me...Ekk! I'm messing with After Effects right now in my motion graphics class, it seems like a crazy cool program. Hopefully I can incorporate the two for some cooler videos.

Binny

Tom Blizzard
April 10th, 2008, 07:51 AM
Guess I'm doing something wrong. It seems to try and load but after 10 minutes the circular icon just rotates, but nothing comes up......

John Stakes
April 10th, 2008, 09:27 AM
loaded right up for me.

Good Job Binny. Great location. It is usually hard to pull off a video with only one person, but you did it. The color choice at the end was a nice touch, but the part where the whole picture was desaturated was a little dark. Also, some parts were overexposed...not sure if that was the look you were going for. Do you have other videos?

-JS

Robinson Chan
April 15th, 2008, 12:07 AM
loaded right up for me.

Good Job Binny. Great location. It is usually hard to pull off a video with only one person, but you did it. The color choice at the end was a nice touch, but the part where the whole picture was desaturated was a little dark. Also, some parts were overexposed...not sure if that was the look you were going for. Do you have other videos?

-JS

Unfortunately I don't have any other videos. I literally pulled the GL2 out of the case and started filming only having a few days to study it. I noticed some parts were overexposed. It wasn't the look I was going for but as a novice to the camera I expected to make some mistakes. Thanks John!

Tom Blizzard
April 15th, 2008, 04:57 AM
Guess I'm doing something wrong. It seems to try and load but after 10 minutes the circular icon just rotates, but nothing comes up......

OK.... duhhhhhhhh so I thought it would start on it's own.... gotta click "play". Started right up.........sorry 'bout that

Dale Guthormsen
April 18th, 2008, 09:09 AM
Robinson,

While rap isn't my cup of tea, I did enjoy watching the video.

I did not like the burnt back grounds to start but after watching the whole thing I thought they actually supported it sense you kept them throughout. In this regard I think a little richer color on the subject would have helped, just my opinion though (you probably wanted it a tad bleak).

I think you did a marvoulous job editing the video.

The color part at the end was first class.

I do not like to chop heads in compositions, but perhaps you are doing that on purpose.

The transitions werre fundementally seamless, perfect.

The gl2 is a great camera and the more you use it the more you weill get out of it!!!

Awesome first effort!!!!!