View Full Version : Sony PMW-EX3

Pages : [1] 2

Razvan Amarandei
March 26th, 2008, 01:18 AM
hi all, anyone know more about new sony XDCAM? I've been to a Sony presentation a week ago for Z7, S270, monitors, etc. at the end they told as something about the NEW XDCAM no much... should be presented on august 2008, it's a polo shoulder camcorder.

Aaron Lucas
March 26th, 2008, 02:48 PM
more info at NAB for this one. Not much around just yet.

Brian Standing
March 26th, 2008, 04:00 PM
That would seem to imply that there's an EX2 as well...

George Kroonder
March 26th, 2008, 04:38 PM
Maybe Sony only does uneven numbers, like BMW 1/3/5/7-series...

George/

Johann D.K. Cerecke
March 26th, 2008, 08:20 PM
that wouldn't explain the BMW 6 or 8 series.

Adam Gold
March 26th, 2008, 08:22 PM
But it would explain the Sony HC1, 3, 5, 7 and FX/Z 1 and 7. Of course the theory falls apart with the SRs and almost anything else...

John Markert
April 4th, 2008, 11:00 PM
But it would explain the Sony HC1, 3, 5, 7 and FX/Z 1 and 7. Of course the theory falls apart with the SRs and almost anything else...

Bob Ott at Sony said there would be a big XDCAM surprise at NAB. Maybe 4:2:2? Maybe SD downconversion? Maybe shoulder mount?

Magnus Eklof
April 12th, 2008, 06:38 AM
http://www.dvuser.co.uk/content.php?CID=174

I didnīt know about this one....

Ivan Snoeckx
April 12th, 2008, 06:44 AM
I guess this is (was) the surprise Phil Bloom mentioned on his blog.

Chris Medico
April 12th, 2008, 07:19 AM
I'll be checking that out on Monday in Las Vegas! :)

Ian Smith
April 12th, 2008, 07:19 AM
Some exciting stuff there! I need to start doing the lottery!

Barry J. Weckesser
April 12th, 2008, 07:27 AM
http://www.dvuser.co.uk/content.php?CID=174

I didnīt know about this one....

WOW!! All I can say is that I am glad I waited.

Alessandro Zumstein
April 12th, 2008, 07:30 AM
Beautiful camera.

George Kroonder
April 12th, 2008, 07:32 AM
I guess this is (was) the surprise Phil Bloom mentioned on his blog.

I think that was the Letus Ultimate "Spinner" entry on his blog today...

George/

Jake Craig
April 12th, 2008, 07:37 AM
The rest of the products that will be presented are also very welcomed additions:

- PMW-EX30 XDCAM EX SxS Card Deck.
2 card slots, 3.5 " LCD display, abilty to downconvert to SD, capture from SDI and HDMI sources. HDMI output to hook up to standard HD TV's

- PHU-60K SxS Professional 60GB HardDisc Recorder.
Can be used to back up SxS cards in the field without the need for a laptop. The capacity of the PHU-60K is 60GB. Connects directly to the EX1 or EX3 camcorders via an SxS lead.

- SPB-32 32GB SxS card.
32GB card will store 100 minutes of full 1920x1080 high-definition footage recorded at the highest quality of 35mbps

- Clip Browser version 2.
Ability to downcovert to SD within the software and will allow to bring clips in to edit systems directly from camcorders, the PMW-EX30 deck, the PHU-60K hard-disc recorder and card reader.

Ivan Snoeckx
April 12th, 2008, 07:37 AM

George/

Aha! I have not been reading it today. ;-)

Paul Dhadialla
April 12th, 2008, 09:13 AM
Reminds me of the Airbus Baluga :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airbus_Beluga

Paul

Alister Chapman
April 12th, 2008, 09:42 AM
There will be more info on www.sonybiz.net/xdcam tomorrow.

Phil Bloom
April 12th, 2008, 09:43 AM

George/

Actually it wasn't. A bag is missing a cat somewhere. I cannot publish my info until the Sony press conference Sunday afternoon. Please still check back then, it's worth it I promise!

Sean Seah
April 12th, 2008, 11:20 AM
Now THAT is cool.. EX3! I wonder why they skipped EX2.. anyone wants to let go of their EX1 alr ha ha??

Phil Bloom
April 12th, 2008, 11:22 AM
Apparently Sony don't like even numbers!

Oh, and I have created a thread in the EX3 section for my review (when I can post it).

Dale Stoltzfus
April 12th, 2008, 11:24 AM
Wow! I thought I was excited about the EX1.... now I'm REALLY excited! But now the tough decision comes - do I really need the extra features of the EX3? Besides, depending on the price, I might end up going for Scarlet. RAW is a huge attraction.

Phil Bloom
April 12th, 2008, 11:26 AM
be good to see the Scarlet

Dale Stoltzfus
April 12th, 2008, 11:35 AM
Ok, so now details have been removed from the page, but I still have the old page up in my browser. Does anyone want me to paste the text into a reply here? If so, am I allowed? :)

Steve Connor
April 12th, 2008, 11:38 AM
Someone's in trouble!

Sean Seah
April 12th, 2008, 11:39 AM
do u have the photo of the cam? upload it somewhere

Phil Bloom
April 12th, 2008, 11:40 AM
Ok, so now details have been removed from the page, but I still have the old page up in my browser. Does anyone want me to paste the text into a reply here? If so, am I allowed? :)

Seriously don't do it. Nigel removed it for a reason.

Dale Stoltzfus
April 12th, 2008, 11:45 AM
Ok, I won't. What about a picture or two, though?

Christopher Ruffell
April 12th, 2008, 11:51 AM
I'd like to see this new camera as much as the next guy or gal, but alas I missed the posting too.

Since it'll be announced very shortly, I think it's best you wait till it's announced as well. I can only hope it'll be worth the wait.. and sounds like there's a good chance of that! :)

Phil Bloom
April 12th, 2008, 11:52 AM
probably fine. But who I am to know what can and can't be done! There are loads of pics out there now!

Phil Bloom
April 12th, 2008, 11:53 AM
I'd like to see this new camera as much as the next guy or gal, but alas I missed the posting too.

Since it'll be announced very shortly, I think it's best you wait till it's announced as well. I can only hope it'll be worth the wait.. and sounds like there's a good chance of that! :)

it is worth the wait. When it came out of the box I knew nothing about what it was so it was a pleasant surprise.

Dale Stoltzfus
April 12th, 2008, 11:56 AM
The pictures are still online.

Here are two pics of the EX3:

http://www.dvuser.co.uk/images/img/news/sony-nab-2008/pmw-ex3-back-1920.jpg

http://www.dvuser.co.uk/images/img/news/sony-nab-2008/pmw-ex3-front-1920.jpg

Unfortunately, I accidentally navigated away from the page after grabbing those two links, so that's all you'll be getting from me!

Phil Bloom
April 12th, 2008, 11:58 AM
This is a most bizarre launch for a camera!

Chris Hurd
April 12th, 2008, 12:05 PM
Per our policy, this is Area 51 material until officially announced by Sony.

Chiayi Fun
April 12th, 2008, 12:12 PM
http://blog.dcview.com.tw/article.php?a=DzEHYwdnAz0%3D

CHINESE WEB PAGE

Theodore McNeil
April 12th, 2008, 12:20 PM
This is a most bizarre launch for a camera!

Didn't this happen a couple of years ago to Sony Software? I seem to remember Sony Vegas's (7? 8?) specs were put up on a tiny college bookstore's website a week before it's official launch.

This NAB is great and it hasn't even started yet.

Dave Morrison
April 12th, 2008, 01:33 PM
Wanna start guessing on the price? $9999.00?

Theodore McNeil
April 12th, 2008, 02:01 PM
On the webpage that was taken down earlier, the price was Ģ5995.

Pietro Impagliazzo
April 12th, 2008, 02:04 PM
http://www.cameravideo.net/forum/news-de-video/9376-sony-nab-page-rankingesente-nouvelle-pmw-ex3.html

Camera, HDD Recorder and a Deck.

Jae Staats
April 12th, 2008, 02:09 PM
If this camera is a reality, bye-bye Canon. I am a die-hard shoulder-mount camera user so it's been tough to consider the EX1, but with Canon's less than impressive update to the XL H1 series, the EX3 would be exactly what I need and want. If that Euro price was correct, looking at around $9400. Put me down for one!

Raymond Schlogel
April 12th, 2008, 03:16 PM
So it looks like ya won't need a flip anymore. I notice on the viewfinder theres a "Mirror Image" switch. One thing thats kind of surprising is that, though they moved the power switch, they're still using the same one.

- Ray

Joe Sonnenburg
April 12th, 2008, 03:20 PM
Is it just me or does it look like Canon's XL series. I'm not a big fan of the ergonomics of those cameras as they tend to be front heavy. It will be interesting to see what the ergonomics of this camera turn out to be. It will also be interesting to see what else is announced at NAB this week.

Jack Zhang
April 12th, 2008, 03:43 PM
New design, still the same old rolling shutter sensor...

When will the rolling shutter be fixed?

Phil Bloom
April 12th, 2008, 03:45 PM
You are asking them to go back to CCDs really! It's not just the EX1 that has this problem. All new cameras with CMOS have the same issues.

Floris van Eck
April 12th, 2008, 03:54 PM
Weird.

Although I am sure this will be better, I still think it won't be much better as like with my current camera, the Canon XL-H1. This design looks like a good imitation of that one, and with all weight being in front of your shoulder, I cannot see why this will work. Unless that thing you see at the back can be retracted and pulled down, which might be the case.

Further things I notice are the weird placement of the hot shoe (45 degrees angel). Which is a second hot shoe as there is also one on the front.

But I think quick updates/expansions like this are good. Sony has quite a lot of buzz with the EX1 and they quickly build on that. Well done.

I now want to see what Panasonic, JVC and RED are doing.

Dale Stoltzfus
April 12th, 2008, 05:22 PM
I'm sure the design was inspired by the XL series. Although I'm sure it's not as comfortable as a full-size shoulder-mount camera, it's gotta be better to hand-hold than the EX1! That and it still looks more impressive than a hand-held cam. :)

Jack Zhang
April 12th, 2008, 11:41 PM
You are asking them to go back to CCDs really! It's not just the EX1 that has this problem. All new cameras with CMOS have the same issues.

Then it looks like budget matchmovers will have to look backwards for a cheap, high-quality matchmoving camera... like the Z1.

Eugene Presley
April 13th, 2008, 11:31 AM
If this camera is a reality, bye-bye Canon. I am a die-hard shoulder-mount camera user so it's been tough to consider the EX1, but with Canon's less than impressive update to the XL H1 series, the EX3 would be exactly what I need and want. If that Euro price was correct, looking at around $9400. Put me down for one!

Exactly! If Canon does not comes up with something more beefy, they're loosing it. How old is the EX1? They're already improving it!

Christopher Ruffell
April 13th, 2008, 12:24 PM
Exactly! If Canon does not comes up with something more beefy, they're loosing it. How old is the EX1? They're already improving it!

I'm sure this this camera was planned from the get-go, but they really did use the feedback from the prototype EX1 for the EX3. This reminds me of the FX1 introduction, then the following release of the Z1U, and of course the more recent (though no lag time) announcements of HVR-Z7U and HVR-S270U cameras. I didn't see this coming either, but it makes sense now as to why the EX1 was so hard (impossible) to hold with one hand as it's underlying design was for the EX3 as a shoulder-mounted camera.

I love Canon's cameras, and I think what Sony has done with the 1/2 chips, etc, is brillant. They've raised the upper-end of the prosumer lineup standards industry-wide, so you bet Panasonic and Canon will have to respond. To be fair, the EX series is Sony's response to the HVX200 and XL-H1. Canon's answer to the FX1/Z1U was great with the XH series, so I bet they'll be ready with a response in 6-12 months, even with the recent upgrade of the XL series. As for Panasonic, the HVX200 replacement has to be just around the corner ;)

Lawrence Bansbach
April 13th, 2008, 12:26 PM
Then it looks like budget matchmovers will have to look backwards for a cheap, high-quality matchmoving camera... like the Z1.Not really. The Z1 can't do 24p, so it's utility in this regard is limited.