View Full Version : PDW-700 XDCAM HD422 goes solid state

Ivan Snoeckx
April 13th, 2008, 09:42 AM
Taken from Simon his website:

Well, I hate to say I told you so, but I've predicted this for a while now.

The new 2/3" PDW-700 XDCAM HD will have the option of being able to record to SxS solid state cards via plugin card that fits into the expansion slot at the rear of the camera. Usually this slot is used for wireless mic receivers, so this may cause a conflict with those who need that capability at the same time. However this is a good move for Sony as it will allow the 700 to have the advantages of a solid state workflow, say for breaking news style assignments, and also the better long form abilities of Professional Disc.

Sony have tried something similar before on the standard def XDCAM cameras. Although that device could only record the low resolution proxy files to Memory Stick and never caught on.

PDW-700 XDCAM HD422 goes solid state (http://www.simonwyndham.co.uk/pdw-700-xdcam-hd-sxs-solid-state-recording.html)

Steve Connor
April 13th, 2008, 10:39 AM
Now if you can record to card and disc at the same time - built in archiving!

Ivan Snoeckx
April 13th, 2008, 11:51 AM
Let us hope that this SxS recorder also will work with the PDW-F335 and F355.

Paul Gale
April 14th, 2008, 02:29 AM
Mmm - I wasn't aware the connector on the F350/355 had a video signal on it too would be interesting if it does. Or more likely the new connector has extra pins but is backwards compatible with the old one???

Simon Wyndham
April 14th, 2008, 04:09 AM
I doubt this will work with the 350/355. The interface inside the expansion slot on the 700 is totally different to anything that is on the 300 series.

Also the device is more than likely to be designed to fit flush with the 700 both at the top, but the rest of it is probably bare metal, just like the expansion devices that used to fit into the same area on the standard def cameras. In other words, not something you'd want to have on a camera exterior

Although having said that, the 300 series does have that expansion slot add on I suppose. So... maybe :-) But it would all depend if Sony had designed the 350/355 with such an application in mind. Somehow I doubt it.

Paul Gale
April 14th, 2008, 04:35 AM
Simon - is the expansion slot in the same place as the F350? From your pics, it looks like it doesn't exist at all? Is it behind the battery?

Simon Wyndham
April 14th, 2008, 04:39 AM
The 700 is based on the same body design as the standard def cameras (the ones most people forget exist!). The expansion slot is just behind the rear of the top handle. You won't be able to see it because there is a screw attached cover covering it up when it is not being used.

Paul Gale
April 14th, 2008, 04:44 AM
Ah OK thanks Simon (and your SD camera ;) )

So does it have a compatible connector for the WR855 and associated tuner (horizontally mounted below the battery plate)? or is this now done through the expansion slot?

Simon Wyndham
April 14th, 2008, 04:51 AM
The expansion slot on the 700 and the 510/530 SD cameras is designed primarily for devices such as the WR855, yes. But on the 700/530/510 it mounts vertically (you can see the pictures of the 700 with one attached with the two aerials sticking out, or on this picture of the 530 http://www.sony.co.uk/biz/view/ShowProduct.action?product=PDW-530P&site=biz_en_GB&pageType=TechnicalSpecs&imageType=Main&category=XDCAMCamcorders

Paul Gale
April 14th, 2008, 04:58 AM
Ah I think I see now - the SD and 700 cameras have the slot where the wireless receiver slots straight in. The 350 etc has to use the WR855 holder which the receiver then slots into.

So I should be able to drop my current receiver straight into the camera (I I ever decided to get one that is!!!)

Simon Wyndham
April 14th, 2008, 06:26 AM
Yep, thats it :-)

Ivan Snoeckx
April 14th, 2008, 07:58 AM
I doubt this will work with the 350/355. The interface inside the expansion slot on the 700 is totally different to anything that is on the 300 series.

Also the device is more than likely to be designed to fit flush with the 700 both at the top, but the rest of it is probably bare metal, just like the expansion devices that used to fit into the same area on the standard def cameras. In other words, not something you'd want to have on a camera exterior

Although having said that, the 300 series does have that expansion slot add on I suppose. So... maybe :-) But it would all depend if Sony had designed the 350/355 with such an application in mind. Somehow I doubt it.

Remember the Sony DSR-DU1 harddisk recorder that could be attached to the back of the DSR-3xx and DSR-5xx serie?

That HD recorder also had a different adapter then the CA-WRR855.

So maybe there will be a chance that it also will be available for the 1/2" XDCAM HD serie.

Simon Wyndham
April 14th, 2008, 08:06 AM
Maybe, but it is all dependent on whether Sony have built in any form of connection between recording and encoding to that interface. Something that I doubt. It would also need a firmware update too.

David Heath
April 14th, 2008, 09:05 AM
Taken from Simon his website:

........... but I've predicted this for a while now........

........... Usually this slot is used for wireless mic receivers, so this may cause a conflict with those who need that capability at the same time......

PDW-700 XDCAM HD422 goes solid state (http://www.simonwyndham.co.uk/pdw-700-xdcam-hd-sxs-solid-state-recording.html)
The capability must be seen as very welcome - optical disc AND solid state abilities give it a big edge over either by itself.

But I'm also less impressed if it ties up the wireless mic slot, especially as that is designed to take the new digital mics. I can see the people who are most likely to want SxS/disc are those who will want the integral receivers - shame they haven't gone for an arrangement like the CF module on the S270.

Greg Boston
April 14th, 2008, 08:28 PM
Maybe, but it is all dependent on whether Sony have built in any form of connection between recording and encoding to that interface. Something that I doubt. It would also need a firmware update too.

I kind of asked about this and didn't get an outright no for an answer. But when I get back home, I will look at the schematics to see what signal lines are going to/from the connector on the F350.

-gb-

Phil Bloom
April 14th, 2008, 08:33 PM
I was told f700 only.

Brian T. Young
April 20th, 2008, 11:09 AM
according to the demo i saw, i believe it's going to be a 'sandwich' adapter that will go on the battery mount and be between the camera body and the battery. this would allow for the unislot to be used for a drop-in wireless rx. this makes the most sense (to me, anyway) as sony is selling (pushing?!) their version of the drop-in rx and to make a consumer choose one or the other isn't good marketing - you're competing against yourself!

BUT - greg has MUCH better contacts at sony than i do!!!

(great to see you in vegas, greg - thanks for all your valuable posts here!)

Greg Boston
April 20th, 2008, 11:25 AM
according to the demo i saw, i believe it's going to be a 'sandwich' adapter that will go on the battery mount and be between the camera body and the battery. this would allow for the unislot to be used for a drop-in wireless rx. this makes the most sense (to me, anyway) as sony is selling (pushing?!) their version of the drop-in rx and to make a consumer choose one or the other isn't good marketing - you're competing against yourself!

BUT - greg has MUCH better contacts at sony than i do!!!

(great to see you in vegas, greg - thanks for all your valuable posts here!)

I agree that it seems counter productive to have the SXS adapter sit in the wireless receiver slot, but that's where the direct connection pins are located. Any sandwich device would necessitate external cabling.

There is a sandwich type device that will be available that outputs a transport stream from the HDSDI out of the camera. It was being shown on one of the F355 cameras in the carousel.

I'm glad we finally got to meet in person. Hope you had a great time!

-gb-

Brian T. Young
April 20th, 2008, 11:36 AM
told you that greg had better contacts than i do!!!!

Alister Chapman
April 20th, 2008, 05:51 PM
The SxS adapter I saw was a sandwich device on the rear of the camera and was connected to the 700 via USB. There is a USB port on the handle of the 700. So it almost certainly will not work with the F350/F355 series cameras.

There is a picture here:

http://www.ingenioustv.com/forum/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=70

Phil Bloom
April 20th, 2008, 05:54 PM
unless the next f350/f355 firmware upgrade includes a new usb 2 port accessible from within the menus. Fingers crossed ;-)

Greg Boston
April 20th, 2008, 06:31 PM
The SxS adapter I saw was a sandwich device on the rear of the camera and was connected to the 700 via USB. There is a USB port on the handle of the 700. So it almost certainly will not work with the F350/F355 series cameras.

There is a picture here:

http://www.ingenioustv.com/forum/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=70

Quite right, I stand corrected. The NAB guide I have says the transport stream adapter will be connected via a 50 pin interface or can be used stand alone. That's a good thing because as Brian pointed out, it is counterproductive to tie up the wireless slot with another device.

-gb-

Greg Boston
April 20th, 2008, 09:02 PM
But when I get back home, I will look at the schematics to see what signal lines are going to/from the connector on the F350.

Nope, there are a couple of pins with video labels, but they are not connected. More specifically, it's NC (Video) and GND (Video). So, it looks like there won't be any ability to use the wireless receiver connection to run an SXS adapter.

But now that we know the 700 doesn't use the wireless mic slot anyway, it's sort of a moot issue.

-gb-