View Full Version : Cant Access the Menu.

D.M. Durbin
April 23rd, 2008, 11:36 PM
Hello again! As usual, I have a question that I cant find the answer to. I have 2 Canon Gl2's. I cannot access the "menu" on one of them if it is in "Camera" mode. Oddly enough it comes right on if I am in VCR mode so I know for a fact that the menu button itself is not defective. Anyone ever had this problem? More importantly, anyone know a way to fix it without sending it to Canon?

Thanks in advance,

Mike

D.M. Durbin
April 24th, 2008, 04:06 PM
I cant figure it out. I called Canon but had no luck. I'm not really looking forward to sending it to California. I may just post it on Ebay "as is" and just let someone else figure it out. I have been wanting to step up to an Xh-A1 for a while now and this might be the best time to do that. What to do?

Travis Cossel
April 24th, 2008, 05:43 PM
I've never had that problem, but if the button is working then it sounds like a software issue. Is there a way to "reset" the camera software? Maybe check the manual, although you would think Canon would have suggested that.

Don Palomaki
April 25th, 2008, 06:23 AM
The GL1 has a reset buttin, but I do not believe there is one on the GL2.

You may be able to force a reset by removing both the primary and backup battery. May need to leave both out for perhaps 30 minutes to ensure a full reset. Of course, any saved settings and time/date will be lost and it will default to factory settings.

D.M. Durbin
April 25th, 2008, 12:12 PM
The Canon rep led me through a full reset. It reset all of my settings back to factory. Now I definitely cant use it until it is fixed. The Canon guy could not even guess what the problem could be. He did say Canon offers a 90 day warranty on the part they replace.

I did find a company out of California called www.VideoOneRepair.com. They spent about 30 minutes on the phone with me and took me step by step through all kinds of troubleshooting but nothing worked. Here are his thoughts. He said that if another button is stuck, it could prevent the menu button from working. He had a GL2 and I had my working GL2 and we began to test his theory. Sure enough, if you depress certain buttons others will not work.

As it turned out in our trouble shooting, the AF button on my GL2 wont work. So he guesses that somehow they are preventing eachother from working. One thing I really liked about them was the fact that they offer a 6 month warranty on the ENTIRE camera after the repair. He specifically mentioned that if he fixed the camera and say the tape eject problem showed up. They would fix that at no charge! I dont see how I can beat that. Even if Im going to sell it to move on to an XH A1, I will be selling it with a 6 month warranty!

Anyone have any experience with these guys?

Thanks again,

Mike