View Full Version : Gl2 = Xv2?

Corey Sturmer
July 14th, 2003, 03:09 PM
I just recently ordered 2 GL2's off of an online reseller. Little did I know (Until I called the company) that the camera I was actually buying is the one made in Japan. I did some research, and after going through some weird japanese characters, found that the camera is called the "XV2" and I'm guessing, by what I have found that it is also Charcoal colored....http://ascii24.com/news/i/hard/article/2002/06/25/images/images688905.jpg

What I'm wondering is if this shoots in PAL format....Anyone know?

Replies appreciated in advance...

Ken Tanaka
July 14th, 2003, 04:03 PM
No. It probably shoots NTSC.

I hope your Japanese is up to snuff; it might also feature Japanese menus. Also be aware that the warranty will probably not be valid for service in the US.

Corey Sturmer
July 14th, 2003, 07:28 PM
Yeah I knew the warranty would not apply here, but in Japan? I knew the menus would be in Japanese, already downloaded american manual, so it's cool...

Adrian Douglas
July 14th, 2003, 07:36 PM
Corey,

THe XV2 won't shoot PAL, it is only NTSC-J. The J signifies that it is for Japan only. There is no difference between the format that I know of so you won't have a problem using the camera in the US, except for the Japanese characters in the menu.

Ken Tanaka
July 14th, 2003, 07:36 PM
Corey,
I really wish you the best of luck with your new camera. But I strongly suspect that, sooner or later, you will deeply regret this purchasing maneuver.

Corey Sturmer
July 14th, 2003, 10:57 PM
Why?

Ken Tanaka
July 14th, 2003, 11:04 PM
Off the top of my head...

1. Warranty service in Japan? Do you know how much cost and hassle it will be to ship the camera to Tokyo, not to mention potentially trying to correspond with Japanese Canon technicians who may have a question?

2. Japanese menus? Do you really think you're going to carry the manual just to interpret the menus (assuming that they're even configured identically to the GL2)?

3. Oops, here comes the GL3 (some day). Where are you going to potentially sell that XV2 in the States?

Chris Hurd
July 14th, 2003, 11:36 PM
Corey

<< camera I was actually buying is the one made in Japan. >>

Actually they're all made in Japan, but the XV2 is made specifically for Japanese users. All of the markings on the camera, button labels, etc. will be in Japanese, and it might be difficult to sell here in the U.S. later on. And as Ken said, there will be no warranty support available in the U.S. Instead, consider buying a U.S. model from one of our DV Info sponsors (http://www.dvinfo.net/sponsors/index.php). Hope this helps,

Adrian Douglas
July 15th, 2003, 08:27 AM
But it is that cool Black/Grey model everyone lusts for. Seriously though Corey, I would think again about buying a camera with Japanese menus/markings as it's a real pain in the arse, take it from someone who lives in Japan, speaks the language, well sort of, and can even read a bit of it. I don't know how many times I've abused the TV remote in the last 2 years.

Corey Sturmer
July 15th, 2003, 09:23 AM
Hahaha, thanks for the concern guys, but if you think about it, most of us have the menu's memorized as it is, or at least I do on my current cameras, (Ok, 2 clicks down, one push, three clicks down, adjust...) I don't even read the writing anymore. And the shipping would only cost about 50 dollars, as compared to the extra 1500 dollars I'd have to pay for the US model, and then what, 20 for shipping in the US? Doesn't seem worth it. I don't plan on selling this camera (I still have VHS-C cameras lying around here), so when the GL3 comes out, I'll just add that to the arsenal. Anyways, thanks guys!

Edit***I don't know if it is specifically the XV2 model, the guy from the customer service just said it would have japanese buttons, and I was unable to find a silver GL2 that has japanese markings on it, so I'm assuming it's the XV2.

Bob Benkosky
July 16th, 2003, 12:24 PM
So you are saying you saved $1500 by purchasing this grey Japanese model???

Anyhow.... I do like that color though, but no way would I do it. I would be lost in Japanese.

Corey Sturmer
July 16th, 2003, 02:59 PM
Yeah, I bought the thing for about 1250 + 50 $ shipping.....

Imran Zaidi
July 16th, 2003, 03:38 PM
$1250?? Is the serial number scratched off? :D

Bob Benkosky
July 16th, 2003, 06:11 PM
That's really only saving about $750.

I paid $2044 2-day fedex and it has USA warranty. For me it's just too scary dealing with overseas issues. Let us know if all works well.

Corey Sturmer
July 16th, 2003, 07:40 PM
750 or 1500, they are both a LOT of money....Around here, the camera sells for 2800...

Rolland Elliott
July 16th, 2003, 09:25 PM
Seems to me it would be an excellent back up camera!
What is the store you buying it from? I hope it is not one of those rip off NYC stores.

Peace, Rolland

Adrian Douglas
July 16th, 2003, 10:05 PM
Yeah that sure is cheap, US$1250 is roughly JPY150 000 and the XV2 sells for JPY260 000 retail here in Japan.

Rolland Elliott
July 17th, 2003, 09:22 AM
I emailed Cory privately the two stores he thinks he will get a deal out of are actuall con artists You can read more about customer complaints at www.resellerratings.com

I mean stores in new york city rip off customers all the time.
royal camera is a con job read some complaints here
http://www.resellerratings.com/seller1895.html

So is that other store, www.digitalliquidators.com, more complaints here:
http://www.resellerratings.com/seller2375.html

I highly recommend you check out a store's reputation before you buy from them.

If a deal sounds too good to be true, it usually is!

Peace, Rolland

Corey Sturmer
July 18th, 2003, 09:21 AM
Yeah, I read all of the reviews by people, and about 90% of them cancelled their order before they could even find out how bad they were getting conned. The people who did wait for their package found out that the camera was fine, and that it wasn't missing all the batteries and straps like they said it would....They were all just displeased with the service (i.e. them ordering online, then having to call in only to be harassed by accesory salespeople.)

Rolland Elliott
July 18th, 2003, 03:56 PM
Well If you actually get the camera let me know.

I've thought of ordering from one of those companies and then just returning the dumb accessories and paying the restocking fee and still getting a deal.

But do you really expect to get a deal out of a companies that constantly lie to people and try to rip off ignorant customers?

Peace, Rolland

Bob Benkosky
July 23rd, 2003, 12:56 PM
Did the camera ever arrive?