View Full Version : New GL2 Owner

Mary Angelini
May 5th, 2008, 07:06 PM
Hello
I am a proud new owner of a GL2.
I had a few questions about this camera, maybe you can help me out.
What type/ brand of tape should I use? is an extra battery necessary?

Any tips or tricks is welcomed too!

David L. Holmes
May 5th, 2008, 09:05 PM
Oh NO!! you asked what tape to use :P Get ready for a lot of controversy about brands. I use FUJI and SONY, and have not had any problems, but I guess I'm a bit out of the ordinary. You should get yourself a head cleaning tape and run it through your GL2 first.

I purchased a couple of 3rd party extended run batteries, and have never been happier. The battery that comes with the camera is just on the edge of barely enough. With the other batteries you will notice that the level meter on the LCD will show 1/2 full on a fully charged battery, this is normal. I can get a good 2+ hours out of a battery, and the meter still shows half full...

Do a search for setup procedures once you get comfortable with the camera. Custom setups will allow you to get the most out of your camera.

Good luck, and happy shooting!

Don Palomaki
May 6th, 2008, 06:20 AM
Extra batteries are essential if you do any moderately serious (to you) shooting, as is having plenty of tape. (The number one problem Joe and Jane Six-pack have is they run out of battery and tape when the shooting gets interesting (e.g., the battery dies or tape runs out as Jr. steps on the stage to receive his diploma.)

Which tape is about like asking which brand of motor oil and filter should one use. Any brand name tape is good, higher priced within a product line is likely to be subject to better/tighter quality control and thus have fewer dropouts. Search for threads on this, there are many to read, and some have good information, some continue to spread ancient Internet rumors.

As to tips, same applies, browse the past threads here, and in some of the other forums.

Graham Bernard
May 6th, 2008, 11:34 AM
Plunge headlong into MANUAL control with everything as soon as you can and that your projects allow.

Be brave, but NOT with client's paid for work until you are conversant with this mighty 3Chip SD camera.

In manual you will capture SD work that will astound you and your buddies.

. . and most importantly . . .HAVE FUN!!!!

Grazie

Nick Avdienko
May 6th, 2008, 05:49 PM
I love this camera. What I found is that once you find a brand of tape, you'll need to stick with it. I've settled on Panasonic tapes.

Manual is the way to go. I've browsed these forums and I've received so much information. If you have time and patience, the infomation here will help you.

Dale Guthormsen
May 8th, 2008, 02:04 PM
Congrates on purchasing a great Camera:: I shoot with an xl2 as well and I love my gl2 as much, more at times!!!

I second what Grazie and Nick both posted!!!!

Manual from the start!!!!! In no time you will be able to change settings on the fly!!

Choosing one Brand of tape, order them by bulk, say at b&H, as it is amazingly cheaper.

I would recommend NOT running the camera back and forth to watch what you just shot!! The only cassette problem I ever had was because I did that!! Worst yet, I had been warned!!!

Shoot lots and have a pile of fun!!!!

Perhaps join in the DV challenge or uwol challenge!!!

Mary Angelini
May 9th, 2008, 07:41 AM
Thanks for the advice, today I will be playing around with the camera for the first time. I'm going manual only. I'm so excited!

Right now I'm buying some accessories for the camera. Any suggestions as to MUST HAVES?

Do you know what size neutral density filter I need? I have tried googling it, and searching here.... I saw somewhere its a 58mm. Is this correct?

Nick Avdienko
May 9th, 2008, 09:19 AM
I would say to get a Wide Angle lens. I have the WD-58H and I use it for weddings. It never comes off and I absolutely love it!

And yes, 58mm is correct -as far as I know.

Also, a good shotgun mic - I use the Rode Videomic. The price is right and I am satisfied with the quality. It's got some quirks, but it really depends on what you'll be filming.

If you need on-camera lighting - a lot of people like the Litepanels Micro. I don't have one, yet - but I plan on getting one soon.

There are a few good tripods out there and I would suggest on getting on. I am using a Libec TH-M20. It's a solid tripod for the price and I'm happy with it. There are a few good Bogen / Manfrotto tripods as well. Just get something that's strong and has a good fluid head. At first, I bought a Sony VCTD680RM - but I felt it was too flimsy and ended up getting the Libec.

For those long shoots, I use a Davis & Sanford Steady Stick. It helps to stabilize the camera and it's very versatile. I got mine for a good price on ebay. But, again, it depends on what you'll be using the GL2 for.

I don't use filters - but I should.

I find the best online prices either at B & H Photo or Adorama. Go to their website and search for the GL2. Then look at the accessories section.

Here's the link - http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/255811-REG/Canon_7920A001_GL2_Mini_DV_3CCD.html

If I had to choose one - I'd get the Wide Angle Lens.

Hope that helps

Dale Guthormsen
May 10th, 2008, 11:34 AM
Mary,

First get a haze filter to protect the lens, and leave it on all the time!!

filters: a ND .6 To cut light and also to help adjust aperature if needed.

Circular polizer cuts glare off of glass and water, gives a little richer look in my book as well. It allows you to open up your aperature which helps if you are wanting to reduce depth of field

Warming filter I use this when colors seem a little flat outside and I use more and more as time goes by.

After these essentials all the rest depend on what you plan to shoot.

you can go on line or get a b&H catalog and look at the filters available and some are shown as to the effects they will have.

Filters for standard 35mm are fine for your camera too!

This last year I purchased a conkin P system that uses 3x3 square filters. I use it on my cnetury wise angle, my 2x and my 16:9 anamorphic adapter lens. I find I am using it more and more!! It is economical and I purchased the one with screw mounts so I can use it on different size lenses as well on other cameras, still or video!!! Check out b&H.

I second the rode video mic, it is surprisingly good!!
One thing about it however, you can lose the little O rings, I went to a hardware store and bought a hand full of spares for a couple dollars. They were a hair smaller and hold a little tighter. Be careful with it as the little plastic cog can be broken off easily, I broke mine and I epoxied it back putting a little support on the outside edge and it has been great sense. I am much more careful with it.
I think it is a good idea to apply a little contact cement to the mount and it will hold the ring on well and the glue can be rubbed off later if need be.

Not essential, but a huge help shooting off the pod is a remote controller!! I use a 521 varizoom and I really love the accuracy of focus with it as well as the slow zoom. The pro version is better I am told but the standard is a huge asset.

Tripod, depending on money available, buy the best you can! Libec LS 38 A would be grand for a gl2. There are some good reviews on this tripod and it rates very high!! Our sponsors have them.

Mary Angelini
May 11th, 2008, 06:31 AM
Yesterday I shot a wedding with my new GL2, for fun and I couldn't find how to turn off auto focus. Also have no idea where the other manual operations were located, so I played with angles and getting the handle of the larger camera. I looks like I will be studying ALOT today with the camera.

Dale:
You sound like you know about filters, so even tho the size is 58mm you can use a 35mm? I am very green at this!! Also I will be shooting a wedding next month and I heard that a rose colored filter can lighten the skin on camera for darker skins. Do you have any knowledge about this?

Dale Guthormsen
May 11th, 2008, 02:17 PM
Mary,

First, you need to set down with your camera every evening and the manual. There is a lot of information you need to ingest!!!

filters: 58mm is the size you order for your lens.

Sorry to confuse you with the 35mm reference. 35mmSlr is a camera type for still photography. What I ment was the filters for these still cameras are also effective for our video cameras, just order them in 58mm.

I shoot weddings and events but there are hguely more experienced people on this list and the wedding group, they are all a great help and I still lean on them at times too!

The only filter I personally would use to change appearnace of the people in the wedding would be a black pro mist.

I use the presets in my camera to get as close to how everything actually looks. Later as necessary I will make adjustments in post, eg color correction.

A specific question about the dark complexion and a colored filter you should ask on the wedding group of dv info net. Someone there will have your answer or give a suggestion.

For now you might just concentrate on mastering your camera!!

As you get more accomplished start collecting various filters to experiment with and start using.

If it was not mentioned the canon wide angle lens will be greatly useful at weddings!! I use a century but the canon is full zoom through and comes highly recomended!! It really is a must for what you are doing.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?shs=Canon+wd+58&ci=0&sb=ps&pn=1&sq=desc&InitialSearch=yes&O=catalog.jsp&A=search&Q=*&bhs=t

If the front of this is larger than 58 then you need filters for it too!!

In this case I recomend the conkin p kit and it can be used on differing sized lenses.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/14101-REG/Cokin_CP499__P_Series_Universal_Adapter.html

The above then needs the p filter holder and the hood

do not know if I helped much here!!!

Don Palomaki
May 11th, 2008, 05:26 PM
Any suggestions as to MUST HAVES?

Really depends on what you plan to shoot.

Mary Angelini
May 12th, 2008, 05:22 AM
Don,
I will be filming mostly non-recurring events (weddings, parties, travel)
and possibly some corporate training videos.

Bill Spearman
May 14th, 2008, 05:19 PM
Mary, great to see a fellow Floridian AND GL2 afficianado! The suggestions expertly offered previously are all well said and important. In my journey learning the GL2, I found that I wished I had mastered the manual functions much sooner, so those suggestions strike a very familiar chord with me. There's little worse than finallly being in the right place at the right time for an incredible shoot and then not being able to quickly make the camera perform as I wished. The learning curve may seem steep at first, but once you get the sense of just how versatile this camera is, it becomes exciting to experiment and learn the capabilities. The next challenge will be audio!Offered for what it's worth, as I am not a professional, just a passionate amateur. Have fun!

Travis Cossel
May 14th, 2008, 10:48 PM
In my journey learning the GL2, I found that I wished I had mastered the manual functions much sooner, so those suggestions strike a very familiar chord with me.

Definitely. Learn to use everything in manual ASAP and you'll be glad you did!

Mark Hoefflin
June 4th, 2008, 11:02 AM
Hi, my canon GL2 shuts off its manual focus mode after approx. 5 minutes, and I can't seem to find out why it is doing so, any ideas? It still keeps on filming, but the focus goes from manual to automatic. I have the camera connected to my mac via FireWire ( or iLink )