View Full Version : Which windows based apps are you using?

Jase Tanner
May 11th, 2008, 08:49 AM
I'm using FCS 1, soon to go to FCS 2 when I spring for a new Mac Pro. Thinking about getting it with XP installed. I'm wondering what windows apps people might be using, that they feel outdoes anything that is OSX based, whether its simply for ease of use or does a better job. I have no intention of changing my primary NLE but if there is something out there that will make life easier and then can be imported into FCS, I'd like to know. Would you recommend Boot Camp or Parallels?

Thanks

Doug Okamoto
May 11th, 2008, 07:32 PM
I use several Windows apps on my Macbook Pro. I run Parallels, I know people use Bootcamp quite a bit but tests have shown that Parallels is faster. Definitely faster if you count in the time to reboot between operating systems. I would recommend using XP not Vista. Even on normal PC's XP usually runs better (go figure).

I have Autodesk 3ds max, combustion, and Sony Sound Forge among other small apps on my Macbook Pro.

Andy Mees
May 11th, 2008, 08:46 PM
>tests have shown that Parallels is faster.

interesting ... got a link to that?

Doug Okamoto
May 11th, 2008, 09:12 PM
The most recent was an article in MacWorld where they compared Boot Camp, VM Fusion, and Parallels. If they have it online I'll post it.

Jonathan Jones
May 11th, 2008, 09:58 PM
The most recent was an article in MacWorld where they compared Boot Camp, VM Fusion, and Parallels. If they have it online I'll post it.

I remember the article, but don't have a link to it. As I recall, it made a distinction between the type of computing you are doing. In some types of tasks, Bootcamp had the advantage, while in others, Parallels demonstrated a more efficient use of system resources, resulting in speedier computing.

-Jon

Jase Tanner
May 12th, 2008, 07:33 PM
I use several Windows apps on my Macbook Pro. I run Parallels, I know people use Bootcamp quite a bit but tests have shown that Parallels is faster. Definitely faster if you count in the time to reboot between operating systems. I would recommend using XP not Vista. Even on normal PC's XP usually runs better (go figure).

I have Autodesk 3ds max, combustion, and Sony Sound Forge among other small apps on my Macbook Pro.

Thanks for all your replies. Doug do you prefer Sound Forge to Sound Track Pro, and if so, why?

Doug Okamoto
May 12th, 2008, 09:04 PM
A lot of it is personal preference. I have used SF since SF 5 back when Sonic Foundry had it, now at v 9 I find it very powerful, especially with the Noise Reduction plug in and the iZotrope Mastering Effects Bundle included now. CD Architect being included makes going out to Red Book mastering very easy (even though I have to admit that I've only done that a few times when the client required it). I don't think I've touch the full potential of this app yet.

Don't get me wrong, I have had FCS since 2005 and upgraded last year so I have Soundtrack Pro 2 which both are great programs, but quite honestly I only use FCS when the client requires it. That demand is growing more and more so I know I will have to eventually know more about Soundtrack Pro. Or maybe Sony will buy out Apple...! JK!