View Full Version : Workflow question for mixed HD resolutions (720p, 1080i, 1080p)

Mike Barber
May 15th, 2008, 01:25 PM
I haven't upgraded to FCS2 yet, but will before I start to edit this documentary project. Planning the first interview shoot and will likely be using an HVX200 recording on P2 cards. I would prefer to use the Sony EX1 @ 1080p24 for the entire production, but that is not available to me for this first shoot.

Since the HVX only shoots HD in 720p or 1080i, I am wondering which would be the best to use if the rest of the footage will likely be 1080p. My understanding is that FCP6 will upconvert 720 to 1080 in the timeline, is that right?

How good are the results? Will it still look good when blown up on a large screen(theatrical viewing), meaning will the quality difference between upconverted 720p and native 1080p material be obvious when cutting back and forth? Should I have the camera op shoot 1080i instead and de-interlace in Shake or After Effects?

James Brill
May 15th, 2008, 03:43 PM
If you plan on going to film or big screen I would just drop the 720p and transcode it using the final cut software but then when going for the online I would send just the stuff that is 720p through a Teranex to uprez to HDcam and then overwrite it into the timeline during the online session.