View Full Version : FCP 25p to HLAN Qt file

David Scattergood
May 19th, 2008, 06:47 AM
Hi all - hopefully a quickie.

I'm currently preparing QT files to pass onto a client.
Usually in the past I've made QT files directly from FCP to pass onto a different client who would then 'inject' them into further post prod programs such as AE.
However footage on these latest jobs require being emailed over for eventual placement on web pages (others to be emailed to client) and therefore have to be much, much smaller files.
Trawling through the best methods out there on the web I chose the following method:

* FCP -
* export as QT movie (recompress and make self contained Unchecked) -
* drag this file into compressor -
* output web download as H.264 LAN
* video settings quality either medium or best depending on eventual file size

I'd recorded footage this morning (using the HD100) using SD 25p (16:9) (usually use 720p but not necessary for this) - then:

* pixel aspect - left as default - unsure whether I should set to PAL CCIR 601 anamorphic
* constrain to display aspect 16:9

The results appear better than a straight QT conversion but have a couple of minor issues...and I'm starting to miss the wood for the trees:

I expected compressor to produce a 16:9 file - it doesn't with my settings at least - I have to change them in QT

I'm seeing a momentary interlaced image (horizontal lines) on each fade in when viewing the QT file - this is progressive footage so a little confused there.
I'm normally used to producing DVD's from compressor so this web compression has foxed me a little.

Hope someone can point out where I'm getting the above trouble from.

Cheers.