View Full Version : Who will make the Pentax K1000 of HD video cameras?

Brian Standing
May 21st, 2008, 09:42 AM
Or, if you prefer, the Bolex of the digital realm?

A no-nonsense, no frills, fully manual, inexpensive, well-built camera that yields consistently professional results and records on standard, inexpensive media?

The kind of camera you use as a student and never, ever get rid of because it's simple, basic, never becomes obsolete and produces beautiful images?

It might be Scarlet, (though I'd have been happier if Red released it with an interchangeable lens -- say a C-mount or a Nikon F- mount). Any other contenders?

Or, is this a market no one wants to touch?

Bill Koehler
May 22nd, 2008, 07:34 AM
It's a market no one wants to touch.

Fully manual...well built...consistently professional results...

Sounds like a pro camera to me. The consumer isn't interested in fully manual. That requires reading the owners manual. It also requires some amount of practice to become semi-proficient with the instrument. Witness the prevalence of 'Easy Mode' on cameras, still and moving. What the consumer wants is brain dead simplicity. And as Chris Hurd has pointed out, price is generally more about feature sets than anything else.

Given the rapid evolution of camera sensors & codecs, it is ALL becoming obsolete. And if it doesn't keep pace, it rapidly becomes a commodity product. There's little profit in a commodity product. Which is another reason the manufacturers keep cranking out new product. To stay ahead of the curve of becoming a commodity product.

You can look ahead to the next new thing with RED. But that just proves my point about it ALL becoming obsolete. How about looking behind? The Canon XH-A1 recording to miniDV tape? Or something from Sony? JVC? Panasonic? I'm agnostic. I'm just really impressed by the posted footage I've seen from that camera.

Andy Tejral
May 22nd, 2008, 11:15 AM
It's a market no one wants to touch.

I agree. The video realm has always been gee whiz, golly gee, lookee what I can do.

And, as a professional, is it something you really want? The new crop of cameras have a lot of cusomization of image properties--with film, you just change the brand and type of film. There really can be no comparison.

Brian Standing
May 22nd, 2008, 12:21 PM
Or, with video, you get the look you want in post-production, not in the camera. Isn't that Red's philosophy in a nutshell?

In which case, you just want the camera to deliver the cleanest possible image with no fuss or muss and no extraneous bells and whistles.

This is part of what I mean. Why pay for all the gamma, knee, white balance shift, etc.,etc. in a camera, when you can reproduce much of this in post, where you have much more control over the final image?

It seems someone should be making a camera that's bulletproof, simple, cheap and really, really, good.

Brian Standing
May 21st, 2009, 03:24 PM
Well, here I am a year later, and still waiting.... but at least there are some more contenders for this title, now:

1. Revamped Scarlet (love the customizable sensor and lens mounts, HATE the proprietary EVERYTHING ELSE)

2. Ikonoskop a-cam (I love the ergonomic design, S16-size sensor, C-mount and Sony battery, HATE the proprietary storage media)

Neither of these qualify as cheap, exactly... and they're the very definition of vaporware. Who knows if we'll ever really see either one?

3. HD-capable DSLRs (D90, MkII, GH-1, K-7) So tantalizingly close.... little or no manual control on the Nikon, Canon and Pentax, so they're out. The GH-1 looks like the closest to what I'm looking for, though the AVCHD codec makes me a bit nervous. I wish Panasonic had picked a sensor size that was either a bit bigger, so you could use 35MM SLR lenses without cropping, or a bit smaller, so you could use C-mount 16mm lenses without vignetting. It would also be nice to have a stripped-down full (OK, mostly!) manual version, so you could save some bread.

Getting there, though.... maybe in another year?

Bill Koehler
May 22nd, 2009, 12:52 AM
I believe we are getting very close to some great announcements, though.
I think Canon has been dropping the biggest hints about what's to come.

The (still) lenses are there, the sensor is there, the codec engine is there.

They likely are thinking about 35mm lenses with power zoom lens function for the cameras to come. If the EOS mount doesn't already support that, it could be hell. I noticed the new Pentax K-7 lens mount does.

Very likely a big, big problem is that it requires not just coming out with a new camera, but revamping entire camera line(s). You can play mind games for yourself as to how this affects Panasonic & Sony. In the case of Canon it would likely mean the XL and XH lines merge as everything gets a 35mm lens mount. Another thing that likely will get rethought is the Jackpack. As HDMI output has become standard and HDMI to HD-SDI boxes can be had for under $400 USD (see link), going forward is charging $3K USD for the Jackpack going to fly?

AJA | HA5 HDMI to SD/HD-SDI Video and Audio Converter | HA5 (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/555772-REG/AJA_HA5_HA5_HDMI_to_SD_HD_SDI.html)

And the final and most important thing is, how does the new pricing get set?

What I don't like about the DSLR's with video function we've seen so far:

1. No Live HDMI or video output you can connect to either external monitors or recorders. To me this is a real biggie. I'm thinking the new Matrox MXO Mini could be really sweet.
2. Lack of manual operation. Punch the record button, see varying levels of auto mode in both audio and video. I don't think the Panny GH1 or Pentax K-7 are anywhere as bad as the Canon D2M3 & T1i in this regard. I can be wrong.
3. Specific to GH1 is a weak 1080i codec and the 2x crop factor plays havoc with 35mm wide lenses actually giving a wide view.
4. Specific to the Pentax K-7 is choosing a weird 3:2 1536 x 1024 format. Do a project in it, when it shows on your friends HD TV they see black bars down the left and right side of the screen. How many seconds does it take for them to say 'What the hey's with that?'. Needless to say, I think choosing other than FullHD (1920 x 1080) is a big mistake. Everyone's moving beyond HDV resolution.

Dan Chung
May 22nd, 2009, 05:02 PM
Bill,

Canon have had a power zoom ability from the start Google Image Result for http://photos.jibble.org/albums/Canon35-80mmPowerZoomLOL/Canon_35_80mm_Power_Zoom_Lens_IMG_2046.jpg (http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://photos.jibble.org/albums/Canon35-80mmPowerZoomLOL/Canon_35_80mm_Power_Zoom_Lens_IMG_2046.jpg&imgrefurl=http://photos.jibble.org/Canon35-80mmPowerZoomLOL/Canon_35_80mm_Power_Zoom_Lens_IMG_2046&usg=__Y0Dhq-oNw4anTOSLSEZXc6kWH2k=&h=533&w=800&sz=53&hl=en&start=2&um=1&tbnid=0RJfOig171pIRM:&tbnh=95&tbnw=143&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dcanon%2Bef%2B35-80%2Bpower%2Bzoom%26hl%3Den%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-GB:official%26hs%3Dccy%26sa%3DG%26um%3D1)

Canon EOS700 & EOS700 QD Technical Specification (http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/hardwares/classics/eos/eoscamera/EOS700/eos700.htm)

So its perfectly possible to make a new version of this.

Dan

Bill Koehler
May 22nd, 2009, 10:17 PM
Bill,

Canon have had a power zoom ability from the start

Just goes to show what I don't know - a lot.
Looking at the links you gave, that is the strangest looking lens I have ever seen on a SLR body.
Most folks wouldn't like it because of the lack of a manual focus & aperture ring.

And I came up with another deficiency in the video capable DSLR 's we've seen so far.

5. Almost all have short time ( < 30 minutes) / clip size (< 4 GB) limits.

So if you regularly cover events of 45 minutes and more, they're unusable.

Chris Hurd
May 22nd, 2009, 10:41 PM
Canon have had a power zoom ability from the start...
So its perfectly possible to make a new version of this.Amazing, thanks Dan -- something I did not know until now thanks to you. Sure it's only a 2x zoom but there it is.

I came up with another deficiency in the video capable DSLR 's we've seen so far...What will be The Next Big Thing won't be a video capable D-SLR. That is, it won't have a mirror and it won't
have an SLR form factor. The only thing it'll have in common with a D-SLR is the size of the chip (nearly).

Bill Koehler
May 23rd, 2009, 10:43 PM
What will be The Next Big Thing won't be a video capable D-SLR. That is, it won't have a mirror and it won't have an SLR form factor. The only thing it'll have in common with a D-SLR is the size of the chip (nearly).

No argument from me there. I am more focused on the technology base (lenses/sensors/codecs) being common because that is what's driving the reduction in cost. The whole idea of a video camera/camcorder having a mirror box is simply laughable.

Brian Standing
May 26th, 2009, 07:40 AM
I really think Red is on the right track, with their scalable, modular design. Too bad they're not as brand/ format agnostic with power supplies, recording media, viewfinders, monitors, etc. as they are with sensor size and lens mount.

A "digital Bolex" with your choice of:
- full-frame 35mm or Super-16 sensor,
- interchangeable F-mount, or C-mount