View Full Version : audio pop from a wireless mic! HOW DO I FIX?

Mark Tarman
May 22nd, 2008, 02:09 PM
I used some sennheiser G2 evolution lapel mics for a wedding. When the pastor talks sometimes, there will be a static "glitch" or "pop" for a second. Sometimes its when he isnt talking and i can pull down the audio and its ok. But other times he is talking when it "pops" and I dont know how to fix or at least "limit" that. I heard SOundtrack pro? but it seems hard. does anyone know how I can fix this on FCP 6? instructions would be great. I used a dvx 100 panasonic cam with the wireless setup. thanks, mark

Jo Potts
May 22nd, 2008, 05:35 PM
That sounds like a problem with the strength of the signal between the transmitter and the receiver. Have you got line of sight there and what sort of distance? You may need to think about buying a distro which will take a big aerial into a box and feed it out to several receivers - more useful in a multi-mic setting though. Your best bet is to get the two closer and to make sure the receiver isn't hidden away under anything metal, preferably with line of sight.

Mark Tarman
May 23rd, 2008, 07:01 AM
I definately wasnt far from him. They are new mics that i have used in the past up to 100 yards away from subject. Regardeless of how the sound got there, I am more worried about how to dull it or reduce it in FCP or SOundtrack. Any Advice?

William Hohauser
May 23rd, 2008, 10:11 AM
I had wireless mics that would do this when the batteries were wearing down.

How long is the "pop"? If it's really, really short, you can extend the last bit of good sound by repeating it. If that doesn't work slightly slowing down the sound (not the video) can fill in the gap with a noticeable change in the pitch of the speaker. Longer pops are a real problem, did you have the camera mic running on the other channel?