View Full Version : General Error mess. exporting to QT in FCP6

Ron Stoecklein
June 8th, 2008, 11:02 AM
My problem is exporting a sequence to Quicktime in Final cut Studio.

I can export 4 or five clips in the timeline fine.

But when I combine 40 .mov (all small files--around 3.5 mb)--I get a general error message. Once I got a general error 34 message--which research says it is directed towards the directory.

All clips were shot with the XL H1 and recorded tapeless to the FS-C.

This is not an important project--I was running some tests on the Xl H1--but it certainly impacts how I shoot/edit in the future.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cam record mode
Record XL H1
1080--16x9-60i

Record to FS-C
HD Record
Quicktime

Copied .mov files from FS-C to directory on HD

Computer
dual quad 3ghz, 8 gb ram,
drive for scratch dish has 488gb space

QT files which were copied from FS-C all play with no problem on the computer--and in FCP

In FCP
Set Seq preset to HDV-1080i60
Capture preset HDV

Sequence Settings:
HD (1440X1080) (16:9)
Aspect ratio HD (1440 1080)
Compressor HDV 1080i60

All the files were copied to a bin in the FCP project--the files all play in FCP and show as
Frame Size 1440X1080
Compressor HDV 1080i60

I have tried exporting using Quicktime movie and current settings
uncompressed 8 bit
and I have tried to export via quicktime conversion HDV 1080i60(which the files already are but just tried something to see if it would work)

Thanks
Ron

Christopher Witz
June 8th, 2008, 02:05 PM
I had the same problem a few weeks ago... dumped my preferences and the problems fixed.

Ron Stoecklein
June 8th, 2008, 05:09 PM
Thanks for your input Chris

Chris when you dumped your preferences--was that the only file you dumped? and did you simply restart FCP and all was well?

I tried that-- restarted FCP brought my project back up and got the General error 34 message when trying to export again--have a feeling that I may need to dump all FCP files--and reinstall.

If there are any other thoughts greatly appreciated!!!!

Thanks Ron

Robert Lane
June 8th, 2008, 06:16 PM
Ron,

It could very well be that your OSX directory is at fault not necessarily just FCP. There are two things you should do before you re-invent the wheel by wiping your drive and reinstalling everything:

1. Download and run all the routines in Onyx for Mac (free): http://www.titanium.free.fr/index_us.html

2. Purchase and Download DiskWarrior 4: http://alsoft.com/index.html

If after doing both these things you still have issues then let us know.

Ron Stoecklein
June 8th, 2008, 08:53 PM
Per Josh's recom. on the DVcreators forum site--

I repaired permissions on the OS drive
disconnected all external drives
deleted all render files

New project in FCP--reimported all QT files--edited in timeline--exported to QT without any problems.

thanks for your input!
Ron